My reviews on HubPages

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

My reviews on HubPages

Postby Kitschensyngk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:39 am

I've had an account on HubPages for a while now, and only recently have I found some uses for it, one of which is anime reviews.

I've rewritten an old review of .hack//SIGN and put it up there for your perusal. I have some more old ones I'd like to put up if I could get them off my old laptop's hard drive as well as some new ones.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Yay for the mad props to the OST! I'm a big Kajiura fan and this was one of the gateway soundtracks that got me seriously hooked. I know the show's not a masterpiece by a longshot but it's nice to see a review that credits it for its subtleties rather than the gripe that it's not action-packed for a game-centric anime. Did anyone really want it to be like a glorified Wow video on YouTube?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby TectonicMuse » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:11 am

Great review. It sums up the feel of one of my first and still favorite shows perfectly.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Kitschensyngk » Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 pm

I saw Princess Jellyfish for the first time last week and was inspired to write up something on it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Anime-Reviews-P ... -Jellyfish

Finally, a cartoon about a character obsessed with jellyfish who ISN'T an annoying talking sponge.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kitschensyngk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:19 am

Kekkaishi ended on Adult Swim last week, so here are my thoughts on it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Anime-Reviews-Kekkaishi

I think I'm falling out of love with shonen action series. Especially since watching Bleach on Saturday nights almost feels like a chore now.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:41 am

I've heard enough positive press about Princess Jellyfish that I really want to see it.

As for shonen series, they're their own worst enemies I think. I don't know of any of the really long-runners that aren't guilty of stretching things out way beyond their actual content. I wonder if there are any exceptions to that observation...
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:I've heard enough positive press about Princess Jellyfish that I really want to see it.

It's still on YouTube, in their Shows section. I recommend it.

As for shonen series, they're their own worst enemies I think. I don't know of any of the really long-runners that aren't guilty of stretching things out way beyond their actual content. I wonder if there are any exceptions to that observation...

Compelling stories can be told in longer formats than the standard twenty-six episodes (Eureka Seven, Monster and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood come to mind) but it's the same problem with American TV shows. The longer it runs, the more likely it is to drop in quality or start boring me.

I already don't collect any anime series with more than one hundred episodes, because 1) I don't have the financial patience (or the means, right now--still need a job); 2) I don't have the shelf space for a long-running series with no end in sight; and 3) frankly, I haven't watched one yet than can hold my interest long enough to make me want to collect it.

And don't get me started on those long stretches of filler episodes like in Bleach or Naruto...
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:48 am

I think that long series in any popular media mostly aren't about story, they're about character - specifically, characters you like well enough that you want to see as much of them as you can. This doesn't have to imply sophisticated characterization, either, though it doesn't preclude it: a successful character can be nothing more than an attractive design, bundle of entertaining shticks, and an effective setting.

Hence the James Bond franchise, American superhero comics, or, needless to say, long anime series. Some contain entertaining story arcs, but it's the characters that carry you over the fallow periods of filler episodes.

Trying to remember the "long" series I've bought, I think the champion is Ranma 1/2 at roughly 125 episodes. Lord knows, there's precious little story here - if you've seen season one, you've seen all seven seasons. I don't mind - remember, although you see the claim that humor is based on the unexpected, there's also a kind of humor that's based on knowing exactly what's going to happen next - specifically, how a character is going to react to a situation.

In position two, I believe, would be Slayers, with 104 episodes plus a handful of OVAs. Slayers has a clear formula which it performs twice a season: discover a threat, find out how to defeat the threat, implement this method. Shrug. It's all about Lina stuffing her face, punching Gourry, and casting Dragon Slaves; Amelia raving about justice; Zelgadis sulking; Xeloss making trouble. As long as they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.

I there's about 70 episodes of CardCaptor Sakura. As you'd expect from a CLAMP series, there's some story here, mostly in the form of evolving characters. But it remains a 'monster of the week' show; if you don't like the cast there's no reason to watch.

At around 60 episodes, I think Patlabor is my fourth longest series. Patlabor is all about character - most of the best episodes don't even show the mecha, or only show them as window dressing. And while there are some very fun stories, the story arcs - the conflicts with Schaft, mostly - tend to be the lesser portions of the series. It's as if they feel obliged to obey the dictum that a 'bot seen in the first act must be piloted by the third, but it's often perfunctory.

Then there's about 60 episodes of Tenchi, 50 of Fushigi Yuugi and Oh My Goddess!. Yeah, some story in some of those (though still more character than story), but in the world of anime does a mere 50 episodes (21 hours) rate "long"?

For story, you go to the shorts (26 episodes or less) - Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei, Magic User's Club, Outlaw Star, Planetes.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kitschensyngk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

UPDATE: Two of my older reviews have been cleaned up and posted: Samurai Champloo and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

I've also recently finished Lucky Star this week, so expect a review on that in the coming days.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:06 pm

I love Abenobashi. It is one of Gainax's better works :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kitschensyngk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 pm

I saw this series back in February or March and I just now finish the review for it. ;^_^

Oh well, here's another noitaminA series, Eden of the East.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 pm

So it seems like most of the review scores that I can recall have been mostly in the 70s. So is that out of 100, as in Eden of the East's score of 73 makes it a C-? I'd heard enough good press on it to be pretty intrigued but perhaps it's not as good as I hoped.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:29 am

Tsunami3k wrote:So it seems like most of the review scores that I can recall have been mostly in the 70s. So is that out of 100, as in Eden of the East's score of 73 makes it a C-? I'd heard enough good press on it to be pretty intrigued but perhaps it's not as good as I hoped.

Oh, those numbers aren't for the shows I review. HubPages has a scoring system for the articles you write on it based on how original they are, how many people look at them, the type of feedback they get, that sort of thing.

Trust me, Kekkaishi's more of a C+ than a B.

Eden of the East, on the other hand...A-.

(Maybe I should start giving them letter grades...)
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:21 am

Kitschensyngk wrote:Trust me, Kekkaishi's more of a C+ than a B.

Eden of the East, on the other hand...A-.

(Maybe I should start giving them letter grades...)

Whew! That makes so much more sense! I kept reading and trying to match your mode to the implied score and it never made sense. So I imagine the score at the top is constantly changing based upon how many people had read your article and rated it. Thanks for explaining that; I feel marginally more sane now.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 pm

...Good grief, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Oh well, I just revisited El Cazador de la Bruja, the third in Bee Train's "girls with guns" trilogy.

Maybe someday I'll watch the other two.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Next

Return to Anime Reviews