Summer Wars

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 am

You guys are making me cry. And not in a good way.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 am

People can dog shows like Ikki Tousen and Queens Blade all they want, they certainly have an audience. Ikki Tousen has gone through 3 sequals, and managed to personally disgust the former females of ASK-C :lol: :oops:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 pm

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Ikki Tousen has gone through 3 sequals, and managed to personally disgust the former females of ASK-C :lol: :oops:

I don't want to speak badly of the departed, so to speak, but it was kind of funny...

What happened was that at one of the Minsky's screenings we were having trouble with the audio on the DVD player - it was rather of a jury-rig in those days. As a result, we had the main menu for Ikki-Tousen playing silently on the screen for about fifteen minutes, including the obligatory scene of Hufuku blowing herself out of her clothes. Nor, as you might suspect, did the actual content of the episode endear itself to some of our members.

My perception was that the incident revealed something of a double standard regarding girls' erotica compared to guys', but that wasn't a take on it that generated a lot of sympathy. However, it also served to point out something that honestly hadn't occurred to me, which was that at least one modest viewer was poignantly embarrassed by it.

It wasn't as big an outrage as my FMA blunder, but it was a rough spot.

However, ZR, commercial success is no indicator of quality in any popular medium. And you made Scott cry.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 pm

bakamatt wrote:It wasn't as big an outrage as my FMA blunder, but it was a rough spot.

Dare I ask? Was it anything like your handling of Gurren Lagann by chance? ;D

bakamatt wrote:However, ZR, commercial success is no indicator of quality in any popular medium. And you made Scott cry.

I thought the hallmark of any successful discussion was for Scott to cry big manly Kurt Russell tears. Perhaps I should reconsider things.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Commerical success, sure. But acid spitting nipples (Queens Blade) is a real game changer. That's what sets shows like it apart from normal anime :lol:
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon May 02, 2011 3:52 pm

My Full Metal Alchemist gaffe wasn?t the same as my Gurren Lagann one was, but my explanation will be if I go to too much detail.

Sometimes at the Minsky?s screenings we?d try to have some kind of theme for the episodes people would bring. I had the less-than-brilliant notion that the theme for one meeting should be ?bring the last disk you bought, whether you?ve watched it or not?. In my case that was the most recent FMA DVD and, no, I hadn?t watched it.

Hence it came as a complete and miserable surprise to me and, apparently, most of the people in the audience, when a charming and beloved supporting character was abruptly murdered. Rather cast a pall on the evening, I?ll tell you. (And turned me off the series, which I never finished.)

(My GL goof, as long as I?m airing my dirty laundry, was that I told Tim about the major character in the series who dies in the first part; I simply assumed he knew, as everyone else in the world did.)

Scott, your mid-thread comment hook is deserving of reply. But I?m having trouble figuring out if you?re a romantic doofus or a passionate visionary. When I?ve figured out which and come up with a polite way to tell you you?re a romantic doofus, I?ll reply.

ZR, remarks like yours are part of the reason I still adore this hobby.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue May 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Scott, I think I?ve mused before on this business of early favorites never getting replaced; my top 3 (Eva, Slayers, Patlabor) were among the earliest titles I saw when I got back into the stuff, ?prox ten years ago. There?ve been a lot of titles I loved since, but I can?t disagree with you ? I haven?t been really into a new title for a long time.

I kind of think that when people fix on a new medium, the pieces they love early stay with them, which is to say, if you?d gotten into it a few years earlier or later you?d have a different favorites list.

Also, of course, in hard economic times producers of popular media tend to retreat into whatever is seen to be financialy ?safe?; more creative risks get taken when times are good. And a lot of what?s been fashionable in Japan these last few years aren?t really my things ? horror, slice-of-life, moe, trendy comedies. Despite lukewarm reviews, I picked up Tower of Druaga just because I want a new fantasy title.

But I?ll suggest that, although you claim to not be conflating your faves and the good stuff, you actually are ? I don?t think it can be helped. Just because I know Eva is vastly more sophisticated than Magic User?s Club doesn?t stop me from re-watching both. ?Which title would you want on a desert island?? is a colorful way to frame the question of favorites, but not real-world meaningful since we?re not ever actually going to have to pick the one title we get to re-watch. Hence, why does it matter that I watch one show for complex characters wrestling with existential problems and psychological baggage that I happen to share against a background of well-animated robot action, and another show for cute girlies with crushes battling alien drones by turning them into plush toys? As time passes, the question of sophistication seems more and more ivory tower to me.

And part of it is that I don?t go to anime for ?art?. I find it there sometimes, but I don?t look for it.

Could also just be old-age laziness, of course.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Another scifi anime film I saw not long ago was called Welcome to the Space Show (saw it at Otakon). While browsing youtube, I cam across this official trailer.... 23 min long official trailer http://youtu.be/pTfqcx8LMHs
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kitschensyngk » Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 pm

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this one. I'll have to see it.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Some six months after my first viewing, I've just watched it again. I find I liked it better the second viewing than I did the first - perhaps because my expectations were more in line with reality.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Anime Reviews