Princess Jellyfish

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Princess Jellyfish

Postby ca_jas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:47 am

I just started watching the first few episodes in this 11 episode series on Hulu. So far this anime is ridiculously fun and cute!

It is about 6 weird, otaku females who share a house together ("otaku" in this context are obsessed fans of something, not really anime). All the girls are terrified of both the beautiful, "Stylish" people of Shibuya and men overall. Tsukimi, our protagonist who is obsessed with jellyfish, happens to befriend a "Stylish" woman who turns out, is actually a man. Nerdy girls being terrified of beautiful guys is a nice change from nerdy guys being terrified of beauitufl women.

I keep making threads for series after only watching a few episodes but right off the bat this series are so good! The animation is superb and the comedy is on the mark. The voice-actors (Japanese) are funny as hell and the music is really genuine. For a while there I thought anime was dying out, or at least on a long hiatus, but lately Hulu has been showing a lot of these 10 or 11 episode series that have changed my mind. I highly recommend trying this show, or if you have watched it already what are your thoughts?

http://www.hulu.com/princess-jellyfish
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:53 am

It is a fun show. I need to get caught up as I am a couple of episodes behind. I saw one blog comment on an interesting note.
While the first episode was charmingly offbeat, the second and third episodes reveal the primary female cast to be even more rude, inconsiderate, and self absorbed than the self-conscious fashionistas that the girls deem themselves opposed to. The first episode was a fun peek into a society of sympathetic underdogs. The second and third episodes reveal those underdogs to actually be a clique of self-serving martyrs who self-identify as victims and propogate their own communal victim mentality in order to maintain their insular, private world, regardless of how irresponsible, inaccurate, and hurtful their "us and them" attitude is toward the unfairly characterized "them." Underdogs and outcasts deserve sympathy and respect, but I have a hard time respecting and sympathizing with characters who consciously reject the hand that reaches out to help them, just so they can maintain their narccisistic "outsider" identity.

In any case I do like the show, but am not a big fan of the roomates.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:44 pm

I haven't quite gotten to the point where I'm ready to start shelling out for Hulu, but I think it's just a matter of time.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:58 pm

bakamatt wrote:I haven't quite gotten to the point where I'm ready to start shelling out for Hulu, but I think it's just a matter of time.

You don't need to pay anything and I haven't made an account or anything. I am not sure what their paid service is compared to the free service.

ZeroRyoko1974: As far as I know the show just started in Japan so it's not completed. I do agree with that comment however I would argue that the show is a closer depiction of how outcasts actually act than what they wanted to see. I say that from experience in being an outcast @_@.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Return to Anime Reviews