Bradley's Reviews

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Postby EveryNameTaken » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Review of Giant Robo is up.
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:47 pm

"Quite possibly the best OVA I've ever seen. ? Bradley Meek"

Well that's pretty much guaranteed to please Matt. Did you watch [and possibly review] the [/b]Gin Rei Special[/b]? A wildly different mood but it lassos you right back into another quick round of fun pretty quickly albeit with 10x the cheesecake.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:26 am

Of course I was pleased to see that review; I think that Giant Robo is badly under-appreciated.

There's an interesting sort of academic dispassion associated with reviewing an out-of-print series - there's no chance of impacting sales in any meaningful way; one is reviewing for the pure love of the medium.

Or to start an argument. Although, of course, that's certainly not my intention when I suggest that Read or Die and Magic User's Club are better OVAs.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:40 am

Having not seen Giant Robo OVA, I would still find it hard to agree that it would be better then R.O.D., Tenchi Muyo, A!MG, Nuku Nuku, El hazard, FLCL, Record of Loddoss War, or any number of DVD special episodes that are technically ova's. Of course everybody knows, that the best OVA of all time is Plastic Little anyway :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:52 am

I think you read that backwards. I think what Matt was saying was that ROD and MUC *are* better OAVs.

But on that note, I see your Plastic Little and raise you a Dragon Half! :twisted:
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby EveryNameTaken » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I wasn't going to link to this podcast, but Jean Paul has done some uncharacteristic editing and posted the best part of our four hour discussion last night here: it's a response to his article "I'm Thankful That Anime Sucks." My response is at the end. I'm still processing what I think about the state of anime today (which I actually think is better than it was two years ago, and is likely to keep getting better), so most of my response is focused on why some people are quickly disillusioned with anime after a short burst of enthusiasm. Also, Jean Paul ends up admitting his opinion of anime today is more nuanced than his editorial would lead you believe.

I don't recommend listening to the rest of podcast, which was fun for the panelists but I doubt is fun for the listeners. Lots of good-natured and foul ragging on each other coupled with fairly shallow analysis of issues unrelated to anime and some stupid, stupid videos. Everyone unleashed their frat boy side. Also, I rave about League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth for ten minutes. Then I play both for the entire second half of the podcast and occasionally yell at said games, which the other podcasters mistake for me trying to contribute to the conversation. That was funny.
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Tried to listed to the direct link but it kept cutting out. Downloaded the full podcast and I only made it about 3 minutes before I had to tap out.

Anyway, congrats on getting your Top 3 list on the ANN podcast. Life of Brian....seriously? ;D
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby EveryNameTaken » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 am

My Secret Santa review this year was .hack//Sign.
I'll also be writing about the new season for Ani-Maybe. Essentially, an extended of Snap Judgments but not as snappy, since I'll be following and blogging six shows from the new season.
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 am

Wow, a single start. I won't begrudge you your observations of its faults but I wasn't so nearly put off by it as you. True, it was a bit "talky" but the premise is undeniably challenging. A consistent critique is that it was a show about an MMORPG yet it had comparatively little action but I think had it done so would have been patently stupid.

So, despite that criticism, I don't think anyone really wants to sit over someone's virtual shoulder and watch them grind all day on Pigmole Prarie just to bring back a stack of "subtly blue-green juvenile pigmole hides" to Klemp the ArmorWhisperer so that they can level up. I've done this and I'd happily watch .hack//Sign instead.

I also don't think that they could realistically come at it from the fantasy angle if only because doing so would completely invalidate the need for the virtual aspect of the show.

As is often the case with Bee Train, their approach was simply more ambitious than their ability to convey but I do like the concept. I'm talking specifically about world building. It seems conceptually clever to attempt to flesh out the real world (which we see extremely little of) from within a virtual one as realized from the perspective of that real world's avatars withing "The World" (the name of the virtual game realm) and I don't think they were entirely unsuccessful.

As you mentioned, what often hurts them, is that Bee Train often tends to trickle out information at such an excruciatingly slow rate that it often tries the patients of the viewer. I think an improvement in their approach to this story telling facet alone could make their tales far more compelling as, once we've seen the grand reveal, it's often the case that they could have doled out hints at a much more generous rate without spoiling their final bombshell. In fact I'd argue that more hints would only draw you in further by the time the finale hit.

Likewise I think it's more than a bit unfair to compare the visuals of an 10 year old(?) animated series to the latest incarnation of an MMORPG that come out a couple of months ago. Not only do I think that it wasn't the point of the show but we're talking about different mediums, vastly different eras of technology (a complete bastardization of Moore's law would imply that anything produced by the horsepower of .hack's era should be somewhere on the order of one percent as good as that same thing produced with modern technology) and incomprehensively different budgets! Here are some fun numbers to play with. The revenue for the entire worldwide anime industry is roughly estimated to be around $2B. Blizzard's revenue projections for last year? Oh, a paltry little $4.2B...Egads, over double!

I'm glad you mentioned the music. I love Yuki Kajiura and this soundtrack specifically was one of three that I directly credit with inspiring my continued passion for anime music. Oddly enough iTunes shuffled to In the Land of Twilight, Under the Moon while I was writing this. Score!

Anyway, I agree that it has its flaws but I was surprised to see it cast into the doldrums of one-star land where I'd normally expect to see the worst of the worst unredeemable properties whereas .hack//Sign seemed to hold some promise even if it only manages to follow through to marginal effect via Bee Train's ham-handed mismanagement of its potential. So I have to ask: Have you seen Final Fantasy: Unlimited?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:The revenue for the entire worldwide anime industry is roughly estimated to be around $2B.

Can you cite a source for that? Either things have gone way downhill, or that number is a crock, or some cited earlier by the Japanese trade group were. Just the American market was supposed to be worth that back around 2005.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 pm

bakamatt wrote:
Tsunami3k wrote:The revenue for the entire worldwide anime industry is roughly estimated to be around $2B.

Can you cite a source for that? Either things have gone way downhill, or that number is a crock, or some cited earlier by the Japanese trade group were. Just the American market was supposed to be worth that back around 2005.

There's lots of info out there, particularly regarding studio revenue. Most of it is in yen (which might be what you're recalling) but even the "top X studio revenue" charts don't contradict the data.

Anyway, although this isn't an industry journal, please believe that I at least make an effort to not talk out of my ass before citing facts. Here they are:

[Anime Revenue]
http://www.japanaddicted.com/index.php? ... e&sid=5065
or
http://www.japanator.com/gloom-and-doom ... 8436.phtml

[Blizzard]
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/06/activ ... r-of-2010/

I think the last I had heard was the the US market slice was somewhere in the low $200M range but I haven't found where I originally read that.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks. If I sounded critical, I didn't mean to; I think you know fannish economies are an interest of mine.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: Bradley's Reviews

Postby EveryNameTaken » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Review of C is up: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1252

Also, I'm very slowly getting around to answering questions on this huge, self-wanking AMA we did a couple weeks ago. You can catch me saying crazy things here just to see if anyone's actually reading this: http://www.themanime.org/editorials.php?id=30
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Well you may have only given it 3 stars but your description of it has me rather intrigued. A scathing macroeconomic critique wrapped in clown-demons?! I'm in!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:25 pm

EveryNameTaken wrote:...just to see if anyone's actually reading this: http://www.themanime.org/editorials.php?id=30

Aria for the win!!!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Reviews