Kyo Kara Maoh! God Save our King

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Kyo Kara Maoh! God Save our King

Postby Borgon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Okay this is one of the longer series that I've bought and watched to date. the two box set is 18 discs in total with either 4 or 5 episodes per disc.

Im not much on giving spoilers but i thought I'd spout off on a few points. One, the base concept of the anime we've seen a number of times in series such as Fushigi Yugi, Twelve Kingdoms, .//Hack and of course a certain demon that's on weekends on adult swim ;) in that the main character gets sucked from this world into an alternate world, and one of the few spoilers I'll give (since it happens in the first episode) is that his first trip from this world to the other is via getting his head stuck in a toilet, talk about a royal flush.

The story has more comeday in it, vastly so, than twelve kingoms or Fushigi Yugi and abit more even I think does Inu Yasha. One fun note is that the character gets thrown between worlds only when he's in water, but not everytime he's in water, so it's always abit of a wonder if he's going to go or not. Additionally early in the series they keep you guessing pretty much as to whether he's dreaming or actually going, I wont say which though you can probably guess.

IMHO the best of the series is the first 9 discs of content, it's where the story is best, keeps relavant to the story and keeps it's pacing. This seems to fall off in every catagory with the start of season two, starting with disc 10. The good news is it does regain it's composure somewhat by disc 15 or 16 but honestly alot of season two feels like filler material. Which is too bad because the ending wound up feeling rushed...I kind of wonder if they thought maybe they'd have a third season to stretch the story into?

The plus side to this series are some fairly original concepts for story, but I can't really talk about those without spoiling segments of the story. But suffice it to say that I enjoyed some of the more original concepts, atleast original for me considering I've only been watching Anime for about 3 years now, maybe abit less. I really liked his sword though :)

What I don't like about the series, the fact it seemed to lose focus in season two and added some "cutesy" filler material which to me fell flat.
The other thing that really bothered me was how dense the main character is, and this to me is the one major fault with the first 9 discs, he's still essentially the same person at the end of disc 9 that he was at the start of disc one. Whiny and whimpy. While his power does grow his personality never really advances though all 18 discs, there are some minor adjustments, and a big jump in the last episode. I could say more as to why I'm disappointed here but I would have to do some major spoilers to do so.

This last point was neither a plus nor a minus for me, but if your homophobic this is not the series for you. There are no love scenes, or even scenes that are beyond just implied though language but I have a few friends which that just wouldn't sit well with. To me it's like I said neither a plus nor a minus, but thought i'd throw that in there just in case.

All in all I'd probably rate the series a C+ to a B-. I can't really rate it higher than that despite it's promise due to the afore mentioned reasons. With it's concept it could have done a whole lot more than it did, but it was still very enjoyable
Life is not a dream, it's a live action Anime
Borgon
Anime Enthusiast

Re: Kyo Kara Maoh! God Save our King

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Borgon wrote:The story has more comeday in it, vastly so, than twelve kingoms...

roflmao!!...I must admit that I've have never properly considered Twelve Kingdoms for it's comedic content. ;-)
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: Kyo Kara Maoh! God Save our King

Postby Borgon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:
Borgon wrote:The story has more comeday in it, vastly so, than twelve kingoms...

roflmao!!...I must admit that I've have never properly considered Twelve Kingdoms for it's comedic content. ;-)

Hence why I said VASTLY more comedy than twelve kingdoms, which had very little if any comedy in it :P. That said I wouldn't call Kyo Kara a comedy either, it just has it's moments of light hearted humor. Especially by the time season two got into swing, which is part of why I said the series lost focus in season 2. Don't get me wrong, season one had it's moments of humor, but over all it was basically a "serious" story line in much the same way as Inu Yasha has a fairly serious story line with moments of comedy interwoven into it. The comedy is part of the charm, but not the driving, or even the secondary, focus of the story.

In fact if you take the comedy out of Kyo Kara it becomes pretty much a very dark story.
Life is not a dream, it's a live action Anime
Borgon
Anime Enthusiast

Return to Anime Reviews