simple Japanese dish

Asian food, have a recipe or a good restaurant that you found in the area... Share!

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

simple Japanese dish

Postby tychocat2003 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 pm

I suspect this is a peasants' dish, very simple and common. It's called ochazuke, or chazuke, or is translated as "tea rice". In its basic form, it's plain white rice with green tea poured over it. No, it won't work with black tea or that stuff Lipton's sells, and definitely not coffee. Green asian tea with steamed rice, no processed rice. I suppose someone might like processed rice and coffee, but then, that's not ochazuke.

Like anything else, it can be made more complicated - in the Old Country, there are packaged seasonings and toppings you buy. Normally, it'd be eaten at least with various japanese pickles (takuan) or kimchee. Clearly, you won't find this stuff listed on any restaurant menu. There are a lot of websites for the stuff, however.
tychocat2003
Anime Connoisseur

Re: simple Japanese dish

Postby bakamatt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 am

Can't say it sounds too appealing, but I won't drink green tea unless it's tarted up beyond recognition, such as Bigelow's Constant Comment Green plus sugar.

Have you tried ochazuke?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I dunno, It seems that restaurants always have hot green tea that ends up being delicious. I drink way more arizona though...

tychocat, I'd be really interested in whether or not the dish is actually any good. It sounds super-odd, but it might be worth a try..
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby tychocat2003 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Yes, I've done this, even at home. I've gotten some grief for eating it at restaurants, apparently because it's a peasant food and gauche to eat in public. It's so simple, I don't know why it's a big deal.
tychocat2003
Anime Connoisseur

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 pm

It is good though? Interesting. I don't want to make any of my favorite places mad, so I'll have to try it at home sometime.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby tychocat2003 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Green tea. Steamed rice. What's up with all the questions? How is this going to work for me, that I jump out and laugh and say, "Look! Surprise!" Sheesh.
tychocat2003
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm a big fan of green tea and I find that I drink it almost continuously during the cooler months (straight-up, none of BakaMatt's tartwasser). I'd envisioned using hot tea for making oatmeal at one point not because it sounded good but that it would make for an anti-oxidant, whole-grain one-two punch. Instead I've continued to drink green tea *with* my oats rather than on/in them. I can't imagine tea having enough flavor to compensate for the rather neutral bulk of white rice but I have plenty of both so perhaps I'll give it a go. Not to inundate you with questions (and if it's an issue, no need to respond) but you mentioned that other tea varieties don't work. Is the reverse also true; do some white rice varieties like jasmine not work well with green tea?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby TectonicMuse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:35 am

Poured a little in the last of my rice at JenJens when no one was looking. It was delicious.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Return to Chopsticks