How to eat sushi...

Asian food, have a recipe or a good restaurant that you found in the area... Share!

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

How to eat sushi...

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I enjoy sushi but I can only claim to have eaten it maybe a dozen times in my life. As such I'm always interested in learning more about it and the mysterious rituals and etiquette surrounding its consumption. Particularly, I've often wondered how often we gaijin misstep in local restaurants but never know it because, being a restaurant in the center of the continental US, they simply put up with it vs. how well our behavior would translate to a Japanese sushi restaurant of similar standing.

I've watched and/or read several guides on the proper way to eat sushi but I found these to be the most enlightening by far. The first is proper sushi eating from the British perspective and the second is actually a Japanese-produced video on sushi-eating.

The latter video is distinctly Japanese (presumably made for Japanese) and it's awesome to contrast the two. It'll make you think we Westerners have had it completely wrong all this time (Note the unique varieties of sushi that are never offered here).

British Perspective

Japanese Perspective
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Aldric » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

In all honesty most people here in the US butcher the "proper" ways to eat Sushi. But.... I really don't think the restaurant owners and sushi chefs care all that much. The important thing is that you enjoy the food.

On a side note I cringe every time somebody mixes wasabi in with their soy sauce, (which the British video got totally wrong) it totally knocks out all the flavor. Although this Chicago Tribune video says to mix it. From my own experience most chefs here don't put wasabi in their sushi so add it however you like. I like the real punch that wasabi can give which is why I add it on the end of the chopsticks.

Also note that the Japanese video is actually a joke... so don't take it seriously :) Although it is super funny.
Last edited by Aldric on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Aldric wrote:Also note that the Japanese video is actually a joke... so don't take it seriously :) Although it is super funny.

Yes, I got that. I purposefully omitted that detail for enhanced effect. I'm pretty sure everyone will get it by the time they see the car sushi.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Aldric » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Or when they wear the serving trays as shoes :)
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Return to Chopsticks