JAPANORAMA

History and customs of Asia, mondern or ancient, and their relevance to anime and manga.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

JAPANORAMA

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Recently while doing what I do best, just randomly searching the web, I happened across a fascinating program called Japanorama. This is a BBC documentary consisting of three seasons with six, thirty minute episodes per season. It is an ongoing long term project. The first season was in 2002, and the subsequent seasons in 2004 & 2006.

I have watched all of season one. These are informative, and often both hilarious and very bizarre. It touches on robots, anime, music, fashion, Japanese etiquette lessons, and even rather repulsive subjects like school girl ?compensation dating.? Like only the Britt?s can do, when they try to be contemporary & edgy they only half succeed & the other half is a pure silliness. The show is hosted by Jonathan Ross, evidently a very popular host & presenter on British TV. He is also a true lover of all things Japanese. He?s also produced a show called The Asian Invasion & Mike & Adam go to Tokyo. Heck. He even got married at a Hello Kitty theme park in Japan.

From what I?ve seen, the show is just great. Well worth watching IF you can find it. For a taste of it I?ve put the first episode of season one on VEOH:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1457406GKedAHJC

Give it a watch. As far as I can tell none of the seasons have ever been released on DVD or tape. I?ve even checked out the BBC on line shop, no go. So I?d be glad to share what I have if anyone wants it. I?ve converted mpeg 1 files to proper DVD & the quality is much better than what you?ll see on VEOH streaming video.

Likewise, if anyone finds any sources of the other two seasons?s shows pleas let me know.

You can find out more about Japanorama if you want on Wikipedia.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Scott was good enough to introduce me to this show and I'd have to say that it's pretty much the straight-faced yet cheeky portrayal you'd expect from the BBC. Perhaps I was just particularly receptive to a bit of silliness but the formula worked for me rather well.

P.S. Like the new avatar Kokon_Tozai. :wink:
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm

I know this thread is old but I just read it recently and checked out Japanorama. I have to say I'm completely hooked! I want to thank you Kokon Tozai for bringing it up a year ago for me to find now! :P

Someone posted the first season on youtube and I've been able to hunt down some of the second season there too. I checked out Asian Invasion also, which is basically the same idea except it's not limited to Japan. These shows reinvigorated my drive to travel there, so I'm glad I watched the episode you posted! Thanks again!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Return to History and Customs