Space Battleship Yamato Lands at Screenland

JPop, JRock, anime soundtracks, Hong Kong films, martial arts, Korean drama, Bollywood...whatever you enjoy.

Moderators: Aldric, Kokon Tozai

Space Battleship Yamato Lands at Screenland

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:52 pm

No date yet but soon to come:

http://www.screenland.com/crossroads#Rec

No RT rating but Wiki sez:

Space Battleship Yamato debuted at number 1 on the Japanese box-office, ousting Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1).[14]

Zac Bertschy of the Anime News Network rated the film a B, calling it "a thoroughly modernized adaptation, one that hits the gas pedal right out of the gate and doesn't stop for a moment, unashamed to just try and entertain the hell out of you."[15]

The Japan Times gave the film a positive review. The reviewer said the pressure of releasing a film with much corporate backing and expectations by die-hard fans put much stress on the production team, but they were able to have sufficient entertaining fare for kids and make serious drama work.[16]

The Hollywood Reporter stated that the movie had a "sleek futurist look without losing sight of the ‘70s illustration style" of the original series in spite of a small budget (compared with other Western sci-fi movies). [17]

On the other hand, Christoph Mark of The Daily Yomiuri said the film "lacked gravity" and criticized the production design as too reminiscent of the Battlestar Galactica remake.

Could be good. Anyone watch the anime? Wow.... starting in 1974?

However I am absolutely totally baffled at using a theme song by.... Steven Tyler??? Aerosmith???? Loved Aerosmith when they were new but I just don"t get the connection.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Re: Space Battleship Yamato Lands at Screenland

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Yay! I just thought about this over the weekend but completely forgot to do a search on it. Good find!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 am

Holy crap on a cracker, we get to see it on a big[ish] screen! I never expected that! Nice catch!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Well it’s pretty obvious Screenland has forgotten about showing Space Battleship Yamato. So my New Years celebration was to cozy up in my Hobbit hole theater & watch SBY. From one year to the next, best NYE in a long time.

The production quality is amazing. Easily the equal of any big budget American film. What? This from TOHO? The sets were great, coherent editing, gorgeous & fitting soundtrack.

It also reminded me of a conversation I had with Matt some time ago about the animated feature movie Memories:
I said my favorite was Magnetic Rose, Matt was partial to Cannon Fodder. Why? He said it was the most Japanese of the three stories. And so I must say that SBY is without a doubt the most Japanese live action movie I have ever seen. The sci-fi backdrop is just a way to present a passion play show casing Japanese ethics, heroism and attitude in general. The best example I can give with out spoiling is rather early on another battleship offers to be a decoy through enemy fire and allow another space battleship to escape. The captain realizes this is a suicide mission with no return. He does not present that to his crew tho, contstucting it as an act of valor with sure victory at the end. Quoting by memory he says: “That way when my people die they will perish with hope not despair.”
There are no light hearted moments; no R2D2’s to lighten things up. Unlike Casshern live action this is far from a depressing movie. It is just solid content beginning to end. If I were to find one word to describe the over all feel it would be adventurous. Like the real life Battleship Yamato things do no end well for the Space Battleship. But it has quite a triumphant feel but you have to get all the way to end for that satisfaction. Speaking of the end, I have wondered how & why in the world they would appropriate a Steven Tyler / Aerosmith song Love Lives for the end credits. In context the music is a good fit esp the lyrics to wrap things up.
If You can find this movie, watch it.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Funimation announced on Christmas Eve that they're releasing this in 2014. Merry Christmas!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Music and Movies