k-Pop Video (Gundam Style?)

JPop, JRock, anime soundtracks, Hong Kong films, martial arts, Korean drama, Bollywood...whatever you enjoy.

Moderators: Aldric, Kokon Tozai

k-Pop Video (Gundam Style?)

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Ok, he's not really saying "Gundam style" but it's really easy to hear it that way. Stay tuned for perhaps the cutest redhead in Asia.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: k-Pop Video (Gundam Style?)

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:20 am

This is the kind of stuff I absolutely love. Upbeat fun music with a video to match. Western music just takes itself to seriously and the videos are like this: lip synch the song 5 times in 5 different locations with 5 different costume changes & then it's just edited in 1 sec clips to the song. J & K pop are much more inventive & seem to have a sense of humor while telling a story, sort of.

I already knew about Gangnam having watched City Hunter K TV. I understand it's like the Roppongi Hills area of Tokyo, very ritzy retail & lifestyle district. I didn't know anything about the performer PSY but I found this very interesting article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/08/28/gangnam-style-viral-popularity-in-u-s-has-koreans-puzzled-gratified/

As for the most beautiful red head in Asia: she's pretty damn hot. But also she might have that distinction by default.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ca_jas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I hate to be a downer but this particular song drives me absolutely crazy. I seriously am unable to understand why people find this funny, or enjoyable to watch, even for my fellow otaku! I loved Krary Pamyu Pamyu's videos and Girl's Generation "Gee" is such a guilty pleasure for me, I love it. But the gangnam thing is just horrid.

My honest suspicion is that after the US discovered Krary and Girl Generation there became a "weird east-asian music video" fix that now needs to be fulfilled, regardless of said music video quality.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:48 am

But the gangnam thing is just horrid.

juunin touiro...
This song fills that same little entertainment niche for me me that another favorite a couple of years ago did : Like a G 6
:

My honest suspicion is that after the US discovered Krary and Girl Generation there became a "weird east-asian music video" fix that now needs to be fulfilled, regardless of said music video quality.

No opinion on Krary or GG but weird east-asian videos go back long before that. It was this kind of stuff that got my attention & interested in anime. Anything more bland or normal may as well be Cher.

Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ca_jas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:juunin touiro...

But.... this is America! Can that thought diversity really apply here?? lol A handful of people on tv or the web do something and the rest of us follow gleefully.

(nsfw there's a couple gun shots) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52EnTtGs ... ure=fvwrel

Kokon Tozai wrote:No opinion on Krary or GG but weird east-asian videos go back long before that. It was this kind of stuff that got my attention & interested in anime.

Oh for sure, no doubt about that. Here's one of my favorite weird bands, Ex-Girl.

However, this seems to be a new fad within the last two years. I mean, I've seen Japanese bands perform on live tv and do all sorts of crazy things but I never then heard from middle-aged ladies about how much they like the song because it's fun and quirky. Usually those things scare them haha.

And you know, if there's people who generally get interested in some part of east-asian media like you did because of these songs then... I guess it's not all that bad. My thinking is that most people will consume it, toss it aside and ignore any legitimacy in those countries. I just don't like seeing that.

Am I being harsh? I'm not meaning to be, more trying to eccentric. I already know you guys have good taste, this one just surprised me.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:29 pm

c_j:
But.... this is America! Can that thought diversity really apply here?? lol A handful of people on tv or the web do something and the rest of us follow gleefully.

The biggest problem you make me think of is that most people confuse what they do/don't like with what is good/bad/right/wrong. It seems that attitude is more prevalent here in the Midwest, at least what I've encountered. If someone likes country western music then jazz or rock must obviously be bad. If you love sports than anyone wasting their time on anime is nuts. Or vice versa. As someone who experienced life long before the WWW I can say that, in the widest scope, it really has brought a profound diversity of thought to the planet. Who chooses to follow what depends on the individual.

Ex Girl was pretty damn fun. I'll be checking to find out more about them. I wonder what year that came out? The pop type chorus was a good counterpoint to the hard edgy portion. Or maybe I'm just over thinking it. It appealed to me.

However, this seems to be a new fad within the last two years. I mean, I've seen Japanese bands perform on live tv and do all sorts of crazy things but I never then heard from middle-aged ladies about how much they like the song because it's fun and quirky. Usually those things scare them haha.

I admit I was pretty unaware of a more extreme sort of goofiness emerging in that time frame. I've been watching the odd & fun stuff so long like you,I guess I just accepted it. The only big trend I saw was the obvious shifting from individual artists to large personality absent girl groups. AKB48 to me is just as anonymous talent as a song & dance group at Worlds of Fun. I'm not saying it's crap just cuz it doesn't appeal to me but it just doesn't appeal to me.

RE God Bless America (the movie).
Anyone browsing this thread who has passed by the link Jas posted I really suggest checking it out. I will definitely be watching this one if it's on Netflix. I mean this as a sincere complimnet that Frank's Rant reminded me of another profound movie moment that I guess could be Howard's Rant from the movie Network:

Worth watching to the end. It gives me chills.

I already know you guys have good taste, this one just surprised me.

Tim never said he actually liked it. So I guess that's on me....
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:Tim never said he actually liked it.

True enough. I wasn't promoting it with any sort of high ideals in mind other than to post something I found to simply be a trite bit of disposable fun with somewhat of a deeper Easter egg waiting to be found (Scott found it). The song itself is simple enough to entertain almost immediately and stick in most peoples' heads to boot not to mention that it's also highly absurd by design. Hardly a song to last for the ages but it takes on new meaning when you realize that it's all done as a jab against the Korean Hollywood trend (a.k.a. Gangam). Oddly, the trend is equally mockable by Westerners as the consumption of almost purely superficial Hollywood traits among the Korean trendy elite is already a caricature unto itself.

So, fair warning, any number of my future posts will likewise disappoint if the expectation is that they'll always be tasteful or high-brow.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 am

Kokon Tozai wrote:The biggest problem you make me think of is that most people confuse what they do/don't like with what is good/bad/right/wrong. It seems that attitude is more prevalent here in the Midwest, at least what I've encountered. If someone likes country western music then jazz or rock must obviously be bad. If you love sports than anyone wasting their time on anime is nuts. Or vice versa. As someone who experienced life long before the WWW I can say that, in the widest scope, it really has brought a profound diversity of thought to the planet. Who chooses to follow what depends on the individual.

Yeah I am totally a right/wrong appreciator of multimedia but that is just my philosophical approach to things. I am also a believer in Sturgeon's Law. So for example I dislike country music and I submit that 90% of country music is bad but I will acknowledge 10% is good, even if I haven't heard it. I pride myself in trying to live a life of only indulging the good 10% of everything. Though I will accept some things that I don't like as simply being a necessary evil (i.e. I dislike most sports but I think they are a good way of preventing civil war, so I try not to judge too harshly on sports.) And to be even more metaphorical I believe finding the good 10% of things requires a keen hunting skill and not a lot of people like to practice that skill so their tastes are pretty bland. I have even found that art I used to love without question, Japanese ukiyo-e paintings, are not all as good as I thought they were when I discovered a few ukiyo-e painters that absolutely blew me away. The rest just seemed so... dull.

Kokon Tozai wrote:RE God Bless America (the movie).
Anyone browsing this thread who has passed by the link Jas posted I really suggest checking it out. I will definitely be watching this one if it's on Netflix. I mean this as a sincere complimnet that Frank's Rant reminded me of another profound movie moment that I guess could be Howard's Rant from the movie Network:

God Bless America is on Netflix, definitely worth the watch! And I love Network, how can anyone forget that scene!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:35 am

Part 2:

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am

With those cheekbones, she could almost be a real redhead. <heavy sigh>
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Ayone remember an ancient TV show called Fraggle Rock? In it there was Marjory the Trash Heap. Marjory was not only a mountain of trash but a mountain of knowledge & wisdom that could answer all of the Fraggle's questions. Now we have Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Hyun-a

Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby TectonicMuse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Despite any implications of the previous conversation. I cannot stop
A. Laughing and
B. Hearing him say "Gundam Style"
I could probably listen to that though.

Jas, I just "God Bless America" yesterday, and it was comforting to know that there are enough people who feel the way that I do about modern media to make a movie about it.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:56 am

ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Tsunami3k
Site Admin