What I'm Reading

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

What I'm Reading

Postby bakamatt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Corresponding to the "What I'm Watching" thread up in Anime Discussions...

After a long hiatus, volume 10 of A Certain Scientific Railgun has finally shipped. They were getting that title out like clockwork for a while, but not lately. I think I'm going to have to go back and re-read vols. 1 - 9 before I read it.

And volume 1 of Your Lie in April also. The character design is somewhat unconventional, but not really the same unconventional as the anime, so I don't know what's up with that.

And my current "number one title I keep picking up and keep putting back": Assassination Classroom.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: What I'm Reading

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm

I like the assassination classroom anime, although there are far to many characters. I only pay attention to a couple of them. The teachers are great though, especially Bitch sesnsei :lol: myself, I just bought a couple of light novels. DanMachi 1 and 2, as well as No Game no Life all Kindle editions
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed May 06, 2015 1:11 pm

I wouldn't swear to it, but it seems to me I'm seeing more translated light novels these days. Thoughts?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:22 pm

I does seem that way. Light novel to anime popularity probably has a lot to do with it. I haven't really kept track, but I only ever remember a few gundam, and some Slayers novels translated. Oh, Haruhu and Spice and Wolf as well. Here is a list of light novels, and all in bold have been licensed http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_novels
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed May 13, 2015 1:00 pm

B&N got in volume 2 of Maria the Virgin Witch, good news.

On the list of titles I've picked up and put back, somewhere near the top has to be Sacred Blacksmith. I finally broke down and got the first volume.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Three volumes into Sacred Blacksmith now. It's a little too boob-centric to take really seriously, but the characterizations of the supporting cast, and some of the story, aren't bad.

I'm probably going to get the anime since RightStuf has it as part of their current sale; I watched the first episode on Hulu and can live with the animation, voices, and character design.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:01 am

After five volumes, I'm still liking Sacred Blacksmith quite a bit. It's got a vibe that says to me that the author is really into his story. I'm not comfortable with the
Spoiler: show
symbolic rape
in volume 5 - that's pretty rough stuff - or the perfunctory way it's recovered from, but I'll let that pass for now. I did indeed order the anime from Rightstuf while it was on sale, but it's going to be a while before I get to it.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 pm

I'm intrigued to observe that the Oak Park Barnes & Noble has expanded their manga selection by, I believe, two more vertical shelves. This isn't the good news it might have been, at least yet, as they don't seem to have expanded their actual selection; it looks to me like they've just turned the "new arrivals" section so all the books are sidewise, with cover showing, instead of spine-wise.

This isn't a bad thing, but is nowhere as good as additional stock would have been. I hope that comes later.

I was trying to figure out what other section gave up space to make this happen. At first, I thought they'd taken the space away from domestic comics, but now I'm not so sure; I think they might have expanded both domestic and Japanese comics, at the expense of the literature section just to the east.

Titles bought today: Panty & Stocking, Sacred Blacksmith vol. 6, Kamisama Kiss vol. 1.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:19 am

Been reading the Haganai novels. It reinforces how awesome Rika was, and that both Yozora and Sena were probably both bad choices
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:26 am

I have yet to try a light novel; I'm thinking maybe the first DanMachi since I've read that the books flesh out the setting a lot.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Never read any of the Slayers books? I really liked the Vampire Hunter D novels as well
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:37 pm

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Never read any of the Slayers books?

Read, no. I've got the first, both the Japanese original and the English translation. But I've deluded myself for years that I'm going to use the Japanese text for practice and check it against the English, so I haven't read the latter.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:50 pm

The danmachi books are interesting. I got the kindle ver of the first two. One of the interesting thing mentioned but not in the anime is the top half of the tower is apartments for the gods. Freya lives at the top
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:20 am

Just finished volume 1 of The Ancient Magus' Bride. Nothing hugely original, but pretty and interesting enough, with a fun cast.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:16 pm

I got Tony Takezaki's Neon Genesis Evangelion on the basis of an in-store riffle-through; the art and writing looked goofy enough to take a chance.

It's a series of short parody stories, often taking a real scene as a starting point. Some of them were dumb, some were culturally cryptic, and some were pretty darn funny. My two favorite bits were

Spoiler: show
the page of gibberish, and NERV-Tan.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Next

Return to Manga News and Reviews