Diamond put's hold on Borders shipments

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

Diamond put's hold on Borders shipments

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

More doom and gloom for the industry from ANN:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... rs-on-hold
The ICv2 news site reports that Diamond Book Distributors has placed all orders from troubled bookstore chain Borders on hold. The distributor handles graphic novel distribution for several manga publishers, including Bandai Entertainment, dark horse, Digital Manga Publishing, Udon Entertainment, and Yaoi Press.

Another industry website, Publishers Weekly, also reports that the Borders bookstore chain is planning to close its LaVergne, Tennessee warehouse facility, eliminating 310 jobs in the process. A company representative stated that the closure is part of Borders' long-term strategy to lower operating costs, but that it is not related to the chain's delayed payments to publishers. Borders will meet with publishers on Thursday to discuss these missed payments.

ICv2 notes that Borders' financial issues affect manga publishers more than other publishers, due to the large influence that the chain had on manga's popularity surge in the last decade.

I don't buy as much manga anymore, but what I do buy, I usually get from Borders, so this will suck if Borders stops carrying manga. I imagine they probably lose a lot of business to online sites like Amazon.com
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Aldric » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm

I get almost all of mine from RightStuf (shocking!). There really isn't much reason to buy from Border or B&N if you can get it from RS or Amazon for 30% less.
Ben in real life
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah, moreso when one store only carries 5 copies of volume 11 and another only has 4, 7 and 9. Heck, it's even frustrating buying from TRSI when the distributors don't keep them queued up with full runs. Manga is so flaky that I prefer to just buy the whole series once it's out since about 1/3 in the early days petered out mid-run.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:32 pm

On Friday, the American bookstore chain Borders filed a motion asking for permission to sell "substantially all of its assets" by July 29. If it does not secure both permission from the court and a sales agreement from a willing buyer, Borders said that it will liquidate its bookstore chain as quickly as possible.

Under the proposed agreement, Borders would name a stalking horse bidder by July 1 and plans to complete a sale by July 29. Borders emphasized that talks over the sale of the company have ?gained significant momentum in recent weeks."

The amendment also calls for the closing of three stores ? Ocean County Mall in Toms River, New Jersey; Valley River Center in Eugene, Oregon; and McCarran Airport in Las Vegas ? as well as the possible liquidation of 10 small-format stores if their leases are terminated.

A hearing on the proposed amendment is now scheduled for Wednesday, June 22 at 11:00 a.m.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

Sigh.

I hadn't realized the Borders at 119th and I35 in OP was still open. Maybe I can shoehorn in one more visit.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 am

Looks like liquidation is the likely scenario for Borders http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... -seat.html
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 am

ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby joker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 pm

lol yeah i saw that. i am blaming my friends who used borders for years as their own personal library, reading books and magazines, using free wi and buying a coffee every other visit.
"Myau flaps his wings proudly." -Phantasy Star I
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Well they partially doomed themselves, building huge stores when everyone started to buy online and trying to make up for it by selling candy and stuff. Then buying a stationary company when everyone sends emails. I can't stand manga cows. I want to crop dust them any chance I get. The ones I hate the most are the ones who get an attitude when you expect them to move. If they were worth the trouble, I would kick them. It could be a new sport, like Cow tipping.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Manga News and Reviews