Ghost in the Shell, Shirow Masamune

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

Ghost in the Shell, Shirow Masamune

Postby ca_jas » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 am

So I'm a huge fan of the Ghost in the Shell movies/tv series/video games but I had never actually read the manga. So I was thrilled when Kodansha recently released Masamune's entire manga in one book here in the US.

The Ghost in the Shell series always proved to me that anime can truly be for adults, not just in violence and sex, but in dealing with themes that take a lot of effort to try and understand. I always thought the crazy philisophical twists that Oshii brought to the movies were Oshii's own, but in his original manga Masamune had a lot of his own philisophical ramblings as well (both styles of which I really enjoyed). However, Masamune just showers the text with scientific/mechanical jargon that I have no idea what was meant. He really was focused on the details!

The characters are very different in the manga I thought. Coming from watching the serious movies, it was shocking to see the Major and Batou beating each other up in chibi form, or the Major on drugs and having fun sexual fantasies, or moments where she confesses to being on her period. Throughout the course of the story the tone becomes more and more serious but when the manga was toying with comedy in the beginning I was a little confused haha. Perhaps the tv series implimented comedy but I can't remember right now.

Last comment is on the story. Knowing now what the original story was, I am very impressed at how the movies and the tv series and even the video games took one or two things from the manga and made it their own. In the manga you will find the formation of Section 9, the Puppeteer, the disbandment of Section 9 and several other things I probably shouldn't mention. It all flowed together really well.

Well I really enjoyed this manga and I hope you guys can check it out if you enjoy reading older material. I think the Ghost in the Shell 2 manga series was rereleased as well so I'm definitely curious how that one played out!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Re: Ghost in the Shell, Shirow Masamune

Postby RyuNacho » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:32 pm

ca_jas wrote:or the Major on drugs and having fun sexual fantasies

I'm sold. :D
I actually didn't even realize there was a manga (though I guess it makes sense enough). I'll have to keep an eye out on my next manga run.
I am not sure how clouds get formed. But the clouds know how to do it, and that is the important thing.
-Some kid
RyuNacho
Anime Fan

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 am

I will have to check this out, I love his art work
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Manga News and Reviews