Anime V.S. Manga examples

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

Anime V.S. Manga examples

Postby TectonicMuse » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Does anyone know any series where the anime is definitely better than the manga or vice-versa? I'd hate to ruin it for myself by watching/reading one that completely ruins the other for me...
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ca_jas » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:58 pm

I haven't really stumbled upon too many instances where either ruins the other. I've found that regardless of which comes first, after checking out both formats I feel like I lived the complete experience.

I remember that I watched R.O.D. the tv before reading the manga and when I tried to read the manga I couldn't even make it through the first chapter, it seemed so stupid in comparisson. But I really should take the chance to better know the manga. Azumanga was different between formats but equally as funny.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby TectonicMuse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 am

ah.. well that's good to know. It's definitely a load of my mind as far as anime goes..
the reason I ask is because I read Deathnote before I ever saw the show, and for some reason I just can't take the show seriously at all. But I guess It's just because I'm so used the show in it's manga format. does that make sense?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 am

Let's see. I'm a big fan of the Slayers anime but have little use for the manga. Likewise Planetes - the manga is way too grim for me. And I too bounced on the the Read or Die manga, though actually the only portion of that franchise I have any use for is the OVA (which I adore).

Contrariwise, I'm enjoying the School Rumble manga and can't get into the anime.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:32 am

I enjoyed Genshiken in both anime and manga forms.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby TectonicMuse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Good to know. I'll have to try a couple of those.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ca_jas » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:03 pm

I read some of Death Note before watching the anime but I don't dislike either. In fact, the movies are what I enjoy the most because I felt the series was insanely drawn out and the movie keep it pithy. The manga seemed comical, the anime intensely dark, and the movie a parody of both at times. I even tried reading the novel which wasn't too bad but then again I never finished it.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby TectonicMuse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 pm

really??
I never saw the manga as being comical, I thought that that's what the show was attempting. I never saw the movie, but I just thought that it would be like the show. also I was only able to watch the show in the original japanese... was there any difference in that?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ca_jas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:35 am

That's funny. Opposite views on it.

I look at it from a purely artistic side. The anime uses insanely dark and drab colors. The comic most of the time was very bright, it's how most comics are. But most animes aren't so drastically darker in comparison as Death Note was so my brain took notice of that. I only saw the sub but the couple of dub episodes I saw were not much different. I like the English voice of L more for some odd reason.

The movies are classic, they butcher so much, but I think it works so much better.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby TectonicMuse » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 pm

I think from an artistic standpoint You've hit the nail on the head. I guess I didn't notice that as much before, but you're right. In comparison, the Manga isn't nearly as heavily inked, giving the show the opportunity to seem alot darker in comparison.

I guess there are several reasons I feel the way I do about it. Just alot of little things.
For Example:
The Ridiculously dramatic music that is playing while it show like 20 shots of light about to eat a potato chip (with a ton of emphasis on that action alone) as he hides his portable t.v. from L's cameras.

There are alot of times when the show seems to be poking fun at it's own tense moments by using alot of things like music to try to make it feel dramatic. I never really felt like that during the manga because I suppose they never really had that opportunity.

It was just the story, and the only dramatic tensions came from the plot itself, and the traps and countertraps that made up the series.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Return to Manga News and Reviews