Tokyopop restructuring

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

Tokyopop restructuring

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:57 am

To bad for the people who lose their jobs over this, but wow 470 titles a year. Thats certainly a bit much. The anime bubble has burst, guess now its mangas turn for market saturation
Tokyopop has announced what it calls a "progressive reorganization" that will see the manga publisher split into two companies. Tokyopop Inc. will continue the company's publishing activities, while newly formed Tokyopop Media LLC will take over the "new media" or digital aspects of the business, as well as the comics-to-film aspect. Both companies will be part of the Tokyopop Group.

Tokyopop CEO Stu Levy will be CEO and "Chief Creative Officer" of the Tokyopop Group and will also be in charge of Tokyopop Media. John Parker will be COO and President of the Tokyopop Group and Publisher at Tokyopop Inc, with company veteran Marco Pavia joining him at Tokyopop Inc. as associate publisher. Current Tokyopop publisher Mike Kiley will be move to a "key senior executive role" at Tokyopop Media, reporting to Levy.
Along with the reorganization, Tokyopop will cut 39 positions across the company. No details about where these cuts will be made have been announced.

Tokyopop informed ANN that, due to current market challenges, Tokyopop Inc. will be scaling back its publishing activities, from about 470 volumes a year to 225-240 volumes a year. Levy explains that, "Fewer releases will allow for less cannibalization at retail."

Parker added, "My next focus will be on increasing profitability by significantly reducing our annual output [and] focusing on the most successful continuing series and most promising new titles."
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:27 am

So much for new Kindaichi novels. :(

I kinda figured this would happen to them. Ever since Viz merged into ShoPro and DelRay got the new CLAMP titles, it seemed all TokyoPop had going for them was Fruits Basket.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Aldric » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 am

470 volumes is pretty ludicrous too, thats like 235 titles if they do a volume every other month. That's just silly.

I think of all the publishers out there right now DelRay is doing it the best. Doing around 50 titles that people actually want is probably the sweet spot. Tokyo pop will probably cut back even more.
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:29 am

update on Tokyopop, they are going to start downsizing titles this year
Mike Kiley, the former Tokyopop publisher who will soon fill a "key senior executive role in Tokyopop Media," told the ICv2 retail news source that Tokyopop will ship 225-250 print releases from September of 2008 through next year after its restructuring. 20-22 releases are planned per month during that timeframe. As a result, Tokyopop's total publishing output for 2008 will be in "the very low 400s," which is a drop of 80 titles from the previous plans. Kiley declined to specify how each of Tokyopop's different product lines will be affected.

ICv2 also confirmed that the 39 employee layoffs represented 35-40% of the Tokyopop's workforce in the United States, and Kiley acknowledged that people involved in the direct production of books were the most affected. Tokyopop will be contacting specific creators under its contracts, after sending a message to all of them on Thursday night.

ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 am

another update from ANN

Icarus Publishing notes that Diamond Comic Distributors have cancelled the July solicitations for the following Tokyopop volumes:

* Atelier Marie and Elie - Zarlburge Alchemist volume 5
* Blazin' Barrels volume 11
* Legend of "Zipangu" BLOOD SUCKER volume 8
* Dragon Voice volume 11
* Forget About Love volume 2
* Gakuen Heaven-Nakajima
* Gosick volume 2
* I Wish? volume 3
* Kat & Mouse volume 4
* Liling-Po volume 9
* Love Mode volume 11
* Missing (Novel) volume 4: The Hanged Man
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel Volume 9
* Nosatsu Junkie volume 7
* Pick of the Litter volume 5
* Planet Blood volume 9
* Poison Candy volume 2
* Rure volume 4
* Saver volume 7
* Shin Megami Tensei: Kahn volume 3
* Snow volume 2
* Sorcerer Hunters ? 100% Authentic Format volume 11
* Suppli volume 4
* That Guy Was Splendid volume 1
* Trinity Blood - Reborn On The Mars volume 3
* Zig?Zag volume 4
* Star Trek: The Next Generation volume 1 (postponed until Spring 2009)

Tokyopop's release of Lagoon Engine volume 6 has also been cancelled for June. A title can still be re-solicited after a cancelled solicitation. Diamond caters to direct-sales retailers such as comic book stores.

Can't say I ahve read a single one of those titles. Haven't even seen or heard of half of them
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 pm

As a future hopeful manga artist, the biggest bummer is that Tokyopop is putting a lot of the american made comics on indefinite hiatus, though some will be published online. The titles themselves I don't think will be missed, but it's difficult for me to want to continue pursuing a book deal with Tokyopop if it's only gonna be published online.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 am

you might want to check out this article which includes responses responses from some of the artists http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080624-Tokyopop1.html

And on a semi related note, ann had the following information about ADV manga
ADV Films sales account manager Chris Oarr tells Publishers Weekly magazine that his company's manga division has not been shut down, despite it not releasing any new volumes since February. Although there are neither new licenses to announce nor titles that ADV Manga is currently working on acquiring, it remains committed to reprinting books that are already in its catalogue. In particular, Oarr said that ADV Manga will try to ensure continuing availability of Yotsuba&!, which was recently nominated for an Eisner Award. However, just as in a earlier interview last month with Ain't It Cool News, he was not able to give a release date for the next volume (the sixth volume, pictured at left). "When will Yotsuba&! come out? We don't know, and we're not going to lie about it," says Oarr. The interview also revealed that ADV does not plan to participate in next month's Comic-Con International in San Diego, California.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Aldric » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:33 am

ca_jas wrote:As a future hopeful manga artist, the biggest bummer is that Tokyopop is putting a lot of the american made comics on indefinite hiatus, though some will be published online. The titles themselves I don't think will be missed, but it's difficult for me to want to continue pursuing a book deal with Tokyopop if it's only gonna be published online.

You might also want to go a different way than Tokyopop anyway. I've heard absolutely horrible things about their submission guidelines and legalese. I'm no lawyer, but basically it's written so you submit your stuff, they can steal whatever they want from it, publish it and not pay you anything. Not to say they would but they can.

If you're actually interested in making money off drawing these days look into monetizing it online. And start listening to Web Comics Weekly
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ca_jas » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:32 am

Aldric wrote:You might also want to go a different way than Tokyopop anyway. I've heard absolutely horrible things about their submission guidelines and legalese. I'm no lawyer, but basically it's written so you submit your stuff, they can steal whatever they want from it, publish it and not pay you anything. Not to say they would but they can.

If you're actually interested in making money off drawing these days look into monetizing it online. And start listening to Web Comics Weekly

Mmm, you have a pretty good point I think, but as an aspiring artist it's always felt good to have something big to excel towards; Tokyopop was that for me. I've been enjoying taking smaller steps in publishing so it's not much of a loss, but still. And I thank you for the link to the webcomic outlet.

Their contracts aren't too unheard of as I've read, and the editors push the creators to create new, unique stories with tokyopop. So if rights are unbalanced or whatever the term, the artist hasn't lost their most precious story that's been crafted for years, instead they lose something they've just recently created with the direction of editors. It's like losing the rights to a commercial. Who cares? Commercials are stupid.

That's my naive understanding of things. :P
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Chief » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Publishers Weekly's The Beat blog reports that the North American publisher Tokyopop has cancelled the following volumes:

* Beyond the Beyond Volume 5
* Blazin' Barrels Volume 11
* Karma Club Volume 2
* Kat & Mouse Volume 4
* Kindaichi Case Files, The Burial Francs
* Lagoon Engine Volume 6
* Lagoon Engine Volume 7
* Nosatsu Junkie Volume 7
* Queen's Knight, The Volume 13
* Queen's Knight, The Volume 14
* Saver Volume 7

Dammit...that makes me sad.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:48 pm

from ANN
The North American publisher Tokyopop told the Publishers Weekly trade magazine that the 28 Summer releases and 11 January 2009 release that were listed by Diamond Comics Distributors as "cancelled" are only postponed. Diamond caters to direct-sales retailers such as comic book stores through its Previews catalog of upcoming releases. In the past, Tokyopop and other publishers have "cancelled" the solicitation of books in Previews, and then re-solicited the same books at a later date.

Tokyop Marketing Director Marco Pavia noted that his company's recent restructuring has forced the company to lower its monthly output of books. However, he also acknowledged that a few of the books may only be released online, and he did not rule out the possibility of dropping some titles. Some world manga creators have said that Tokyopop notified them of their works' outright cancellation. Comic store manager and Comics212 blogger Christopher Butcher lists the books that are no longer solicited by Diamond.

ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Manga News and Reviews