What I'm Reading

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

Re: What I'm Reading

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:02 am

Nisekoi 24 shipped yesterday, as scheduled. I honestly don't know why I'm so into that title, but this was the penultimate volume and when it's done (2 January next year) it's going to leave a little hole in my heart.

I know how it ends, and I'm glad I do.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Big week! Generation Witch 2, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 5, and My Monster Secret 8. But Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon 8 didn't show. :cry:

I don't usually pick up sealed books on spec, but Dont Meddle With My Daughter volume 1 had a bright and flashy cover that got my attention. It's a superhero book, which are all the rage these days, but what really hooked me was reading that the rival villain organization is called
Spoiler: show
"Blowjob".
I've had a glance inside the wrapping now, and by my standards, it's ecchi as hell. Which won't be enough to keep me around by itself - I already have a guilty pleasure title in the form of Testament of Sister New Devil - but that same casual glance suggests that and the writing together might be enough to carry it. We'll see.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Don't Meddle With My Daughter: nope. 25% story, 75% sleazy. I might have been okay with 50:50.

But Miss Kobayshi's Dragon Maid volume 5: made of win. Lots of relation stuff, the Shouta/Lucoa thing gets somewhat less skeevy, and a big "Awwww..." at the end. Plus, Tohru really nice in yukata.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:30 am

My Monster Secret volume 8: holy jumping yikes, progress! Youko went for it!

Though they'll probably spend all of volume 9 backpedaling...
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Generation Witch volume 2 was as good as 1. Though I'm starting to have a little trouble with the storytelling; either characters are starting to show up in more than one story or I can't tell them apart.

Genshiken Second Season volume 11 continues all the vices I've already complained about regarding this generation of the story. At the very least, it would have been nice to understand how Madarame became such a
chick magnet.
And there's still way too much of members hurting one another, deliberately or accidentally, and, at this point, no fannish activities.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 pm

bakamatt wrote:Generation Witch volume 2 was as good as 1. Though I'm starting to have a little trouble with the storytelling; either characters are starting to show up in more than one story or I can't tell them apart.

Genshiken Second Season volume 11 continues all the vices I've already complained about regarding this generation of the story. At the very least, it would have been nice to understand how Madarame became such a
chick magnet.
And there's still way too much of members hurting one another, deliberately or accidentally, and, at this point, no fannish activities.

I've been keeping up as well. While bringing back some of the old crew gave it a much needed shot in the arm, I think it's become a crutch at this point. I don't dislike the second season but it definitely pales in comparison to the first. The latest arc, if you will, is running the risk of overstaying its welcome though, if the cover of the next volume is any indication, it seems as if the club is ready to force an ending if they have to.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:26 am

I'm seriously running out of steam on School-Live!, as of latest volume 9.

Though I was kind of expecting to. Those early chapters, prior to
leaving the school,
are solid (and darn near brilliant in the anime), but I was already feeling back that far that the story has been written into an impossible-to-escape corner. Now we're getting the usual attempt to keep the momentum up by adding characters, and it's not working for me at all.

You got to be prepared to love only part of a franchise, some times.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm revising my manga shopping algorithm. In the past I've just checked for the titles that were scheduled or past schedule in a given week. Henceforth I'm going to check for the titles that are scheduled for the following week. Early shipments happen often enough to make it worth it. Which is why I can tell you that Absolute Duo volume 2 shipped early.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 am

The domestic release of Nisekoi wrapped up yesterday with volume 25. I shan't say anything about the content, since almost anything I could say would be a spoiler. But I enjoyed the series, and expect to re-read it.

At 25 volumes, it's tied with Soul Eater for the fourth-longest series I have, after Hayate the Combat Butler (currently at 30 and not done), Ranma 1/2 (36), and Oh! My Goddess (48).
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 am

The release of Arpeggio of Blue Steel volume 12 provoked me to go back and re-read the entire series. That title has way too big a cast in way too many factions for me, at least, to be able to keep track of everything; I got a lot of good out of the re-read.

I'm still middlin' happy with the title. It's different enough for the novelty to help carry it. And my goodness, doesn't it have a lot of different sorts of girls (well, girl-shaped AIs), nicely drawn. The concept "giving AIs personalities will have unforseen consequences" is nothing new, but between their appearances and their quirks, it's fairly easy to differentiate the cast, which isn't always the case for me.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Manga News and Reviews