Howdy, MollyMiri here!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Howdy, MollyMiri here!

Postby MollyMiri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:29 am

Hi, I'm MollyMiri, but you can call me Molly or Miri or whichever for short. I was born and raised in Kansas City, but am currently living in Columbia, Missouri for college shenanigans.

I've grew up watching a fair amount of anime when I was younger, but got turned off after a couple of bad experiences. I really only started watching anime again within the past year and a half, and am now in deep more than ever before, haha. I watch much more anime than I read managa, unfortunately. A few favorites include Paranoia Agent, Nichijou and Mushishi.

In terms of Japanese culture generally, I am hoping to maybe study abroad in Japan over the summer in the next couple of years, though I only know a handful of Japanese words and phrases. I grew up around a fair number of Japanese people and am also a big fan of Japanese food. I am hoping to be in town for the Japanese festival this weekend, though it's been a few years since I've been able to go.

College is my predominate hobby at the moment, but I've recently taken up karate again after many years and am giving fencing a try. Other assorted interests include reading, jigsaw puzzles, swimming, and trying to avoid getting lost on the Internet.

I'm generally not terrible social on forums, but I may post/join the discussion occasionally. So please don't feel that I'm being standoffish, I'll usually be lurking somewhere. If you all have any questions, I'll happily answer most things and am fairly easygoing. Hopefully we can all have a good time here on the animekc dot com!
MyAnimeList, for those who are interested:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MollyMiri
MollyMiri

Re: Howdy, MollyMiri here!

Postby bakamatt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Well, Molly, thanks for posting.

I attended a nice little con in Columbia some years back; it's a pleasant campus. At least you're well situated for both KC and St. Louis events.

I believe a lot of folk hereabouts think highly of Mushi-shi; believe Paranoia Agent has some fans too.

We do the best job we can of posting local events of interest; I suggest you try to block out some time for Naka-Kon next March!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby MollyMiri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 pm

bakamatt wrote:Well, Molly, thanks for posting.

I attended a nice little con in Columbia some years back; it's a pleasant campus. At least you're well situated for both KC and St. Louis events.

I believe a lot of folk hereabouts think highly of Mushi-shi; believe Paranoia Agent has some fans too.

We do the best job we can of posting local events of interest; I suggest you try to block out some time for Naka-Kon next March!

Thanks for welcoming me!

I haven't really heard of any anime goings-on in Columbia, so it's nice to know there are cons and whatnot happening.

I haven't had much direct experience with cons, but I was hoping to maybe attend Naka-Kon. It'll all depend on my schedule, I suppose
MollyMiri

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Hmm...can I call you MM!? (Sorry, my natural tendency when offered two choices is to pick a third; I even do this to myself.) I'm all about your favorites save for Nichijou which I haven't seen any of but color me all the more intrigued if it shares such good company as Paranoia Agent and Mushi-Shi. It hasn't been licensed in the US yet, right?

I grew up in various places around Missouri, including Moberly, so I knew Columbia well at some point. It was a neat place back then and I'm sure it's only gotten cooler but then I suppose college towns always seem to have an inherent coolness to them. Fencing would be cool. I've eyed the JCCC catalog a few times and lingered on the fencing courses. Sometime whenever time permits, I'd like to give it a go...that or kendo.

No worries on feeling obliged to post; write whenever your inner must inspires you. Heck, there are times when I prefer to lurk too. Hopefully we'll see you at the Japanese festival. I don't know that we've got a coherent battle plan yet on what we'll do when we're there but perhaps we can all meet at the Hachico statue and Shinjuki station or something or, actually, we have a quasi-tradition of meeting at Minsky's down the street for lunch. Please come along if you want to hang out.

Edit: Naka-Kon is a must. I think you'd really enjoy it so definitely go if you can.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby MollyMiri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Haha, sure, MM is fine. Nichijou is a slice of life-esque comedy actually, which puts it somewhat at odds with the other two. It generally derives humor from taking ordinary events and driving to hyperbolic extents, and so manages to come off as absurd rather than random. It's probably not for everyone, but it's one of the few anime comedies I've really enjoyed and has actually gotten me to laugh out loud. Also unlike my other two picks, it didn't do well enough in Japan to get a license; I'm not even sure it broke even, unfortunately. It was available for free on Crunchyroll, under the name My Ordinary Life, but got taken down recently due to a rights issue I believe. However, it should still be available to watch via Anime News Network.

Columbia is still fairly cool, though the weather has been running roughshod over every recently. Fencing is a good time so far, though it does require a fair time commitment and will result in quite a bit of soreness.

In terms of going to the Japanese Festival, I'm actually friends with TectonicMuse, and he's the one who harangued prodded invited me to join the forum. So I should hopefully be able to catch a ride with him and let him take care of all the navigating, haha.
MollyMiri

Return to Introductions and Forum News