Ahoy

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Ahoy

Postby Ramsus » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi there.

Just moved to Kansas City (Lenexa) last week to start a new job. Still trying to get used to being here... I liked Manhattan a lot more but maybe it'll grow on me. (Well, maybe once I get used to all the KU people giving me dirty looks~)

I'm not really into anime and manga that much these days, though I do watch a show here and there. I try to keep up with what's going on each season at the very least just so I'm not completely lost when I hear people talking about it.

I do love JRPGs. Pretty much play these all day, every day whenever I have free time... which isn't too often anymore with this job. Ugh. If I don't have time to get into a JRPG for the day, usually just fill the time playing a bit of WoW, farming bloody coins in bgs or something.

I'm completely new to the KC area so if anyone's got some tips on good stores to visit that'd be great.

I'm also looking for Japanese language lessons in town since I suck at learning outside of a classroom setting when I'm tight on time, although I'm gonna guess it's tough to find something that runs after 5pm. Took a couple years of it in college, but it's been a while and I'd like to start it up again. Blasted kanji. If anyone could point me to something in the city I'd appreciate that.

Well, I'll stop boring y'all. Cheers.
Ramsus

Re: Ahoy

Postby bakamatt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 am

Welcome!

I did the "Japanese in college" thing quite a while ago and have poked at it off and on since, so I know where you're coming from. Johnson County Community College (aka JCCC, "JuCo") has offered conversational Japanese in their extension program on occasion, but it's not in their fall extension catalog. The Kansas City Japanese School has, I believe, offered classes for gaijin in the past, but their primary emphasis is on serving Japanese nationals here. KU's East Asian Studies program in Lawrence includes a Japanese language track, which was the road one of our regulars took.

None of which is any help to you, unfortunately. I suggest you attend the Japanese Festival at JCCC next month (check the "Events" directory); if anyone is offering classes around here, they should be there. Besides, it's a pretty neat event in its own right, and popular media fandom is well represented there these days.

I'm not sure what sort of "good stores" you're looking for; if there's a good source for JRPGs I don't know it.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Ramsus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:14 am

I'll check out the festival then, thanks. I know KU has a great program since a lot of the serious people from K-State left for that program, but I doubt I could make that work until things settle down for me. Ah well.

By good stores, I mean anything really. Good food places, a local video game store (I've noticed the Gamestops here are piss poor compared to the ones in Manhattan), anything really. Been here just over a week so I don't know a thing about the place other than the aforementioned Gamestop complaint and that Oak Park Mall's food is getting old really quick...
Ramsus

Postby bakamatt » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 am

Okay, let's see. Mostly I do my shopping in Overland Park, since that's where I work.

You should check out at least one location of Vintage Stock (there are two in OP) if you're looking for used CDs or DVDs and old game consoles and software. The best brick-and-mortars for manga are the Oak Park Barnes & Noble, and Anime Source KC at 119th and highway 69. Elite Comics at 119th and Quivera is where I go for funny books and related stuff; there are other good comic stores. Tabletop Game and Hobby at 103rd and Metcalf is an excellent board and role-playing game store.

Kansas City has a vibrant art house cinema scene, too. Including occasional anime screenings.

There are free comic books shows a couple of times a year; nothing to get excited about, but you never know what you're going to find. There's also one big comic show that brings in some media figures as well. KC has had a science fiction club for something like 45 years that puts on an annual sf con and has various small events. And, of course, our big annual anime con, Naka-Kon. And we just won the bid for the 2016 World Science Fiction Convention.

Our Ikea opened one week ago.

20 miles west, Lawrence (where I live) can be a resource, too. There's a Hastings, good for new and used books, music, DVDs, and video games. Many fun stores and restaurants on Massachusetts; I try to get into the Dusty Bookshelf a couple of times a year.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm

There is always Vintage Stock as well for used dvds, toys, sports cards, collectible card games, etc etc. There is one around 91st and Metcalf and I think 135th st and somewhere lol. For food I recommend Oklahoma Joes on 47th and Mission rd in the Shamrock gas station (get there early, they open at 11, but there will already be a line out the door. For Sushi, there is Sushi Gin at about 95th and Null (they have reasonably priced lunch sushi specials), or for fun, the sushi train at Sakura (75th St and Niemen rd if I recall). Couple of other good sushi joints are Jins (79th and State Line Rd by Hy Vee). There is also a game shop in the same strip mall. Further east in Lees Summit is Siki, which is a little pricey, but has good portions (try their spicy crab salad). North of the river, is Mr. Li's which is also good sushi, and other asian fare.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Ramsus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Great, thanks!

I'll have a look at all of these places. At least I'm pretty centrally located in relation to these stores being out in walking distance of Oak Park Mall, which is convenient.

Everyone mentions Joe's... even have a friend from Cali flying in at some point just to go there. Don't think my chances of going there are too high unless I get a day off though. :(
Ramsus

Postby bakamatt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:27 am

Our office went to Oklahoma Joe's a couple months ago. I thought it was good, but not brain-falls-out good - no better than Famous Dave's, or Haywood's. Though that seems to be a minority opinion. (Perversely enough, the best barbecue I've ever had was a place across the street when we were living in Florida. When the wind was right, you could smell it from our yard. And they had key lime pie.)

The place I really like is the B.J.'s Mongolian Barbecue, north across 95th from Oak Park Mall. For upscale barbecue, Jack Stack's at 95th and Metcalf - that's where your out-of-town friend should go. For Mexican I go to Tequila Harry's at College and Quivera. Chinese buffet - Joy Wok at 119th and Metcalf. If you haven't tried 5 Guys, the burgers are adequate but their fries are super, and you get a mountain of them.

Oh, and if you've never been to one, there's a Lego store in Oak Park, which will be one of the first places I'll head if the lottery ever hits. It's worth seeing, even if you're not in the market.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Introductions and Forum News