Joining the ranks

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Joining the ranks

Postby SenpaiNoticedMe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:18 pm

I grew up in Kansas City and after spending 3 years in Manhattan, KS I am returning to Kansas City early August. Looking to meet some people in the area who share similar interests and this forum looks like a great place to start! I'm 21, male, and have been watching anime for about 4 years. Here is a link to my MAL so you can get a gist of what I've seen/like, http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Creepswithaz&show=0&order=4. I've never really been able to get into Manga but I do love Japanese music, especially the doujin scene centered around the Touhou series.

Outside of Japanese stuff I'm a gamer (Starcraft/League of Legends) and I read a lot of fantasy novels.

From skimming over a few posts it seems like most of you are a bit older but I look forward to keeping up on the forums, getting to know everyone , and hopefully attending some events!
SenpaiNoticedMe

Re: Joining the ranks

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Well, SNM (cute alias!), you can't go wrong with Holo as an icon. That's a respectable lists of shows you've seen. Looks like you favor the dramatic stuff over comedies with, to be sure, some exceptions. I can't say I agree with some of your ratings, but that's fine. (Except you might want to keep that "2" for Princess Tutu a secret: them's fighting words!)

Welcome back to KC. As midwest cities go, it's pretty darn anime-ish. We seem to muster some kind of event, small or big, every six to eight weeks.

I'd be delighted to talks fantasy novels.

More than "a bit older" than you in some our cases (such as mine), but we're a pretty easy-going bunch. Anime fandom keeps you young.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby SenpaiNoticedMe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:28 pm

To be fair I only did see a few episodes of it. It wasn't what I was... expecting, which probably gives me an unjust view of it. Never to late to go back and give it another try. Thanks for stopping by to say hello and I look forward to talking with you again.
SenpaiNoticedMe

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:27 am

Hey there Senpai. After activating your account I promptly failed to notice you! :oops: Yeah, KC is a good town for anime. I'm with Matt in that I also love Princess Tutu but, any time I recommend it, I try to make it a point that it can't be a show for everyone. There may or may not be a point in your watching career that you come to enjoy shows that defy your expectations but, either way, the point is that you're only ever obliged to watch what you want to watch. Hey Matt, he gave Planetes a 9 so ease up on the lad! ;D

IIRC, the month after you get back to KC there is the Japanese Festival at JCCC. If you want to go and you're cool with hanging out with us, we'd be glad to have you. There are some younger peeps in the club as well as some people from all age groups. Among those of us who can't really claim to be young, I think I can fairly say that we all make up for any surplus in years with a lack in maturity. Anyway, kanpai Senpai! Talk nerdy to us!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Introductions and Forum News