Meet Onoda100

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Meet Onoda100

Postby Onoda100 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:21 am

Hello! I live here in KC and I love manga and anime. I really dig sports anime and am currently and feverishly waiting for new eps of Yowamushi Pedal Go! I finished FREE! recently, with tears streaming due to extreme conclusion of 'beauty' My favorite manga series is Oishinbo by Tetsu Kariya...Of course I also enjoy the deeper and darker thangs in anima, however why make a list. Korean soaps are my pass time when nothing seems right in the world. The other day, I some how sat and watched five eps of Dandelion Family on Crunchyroll but am dedicated to Highkick.....I love KPop and am greatful for Korean culture overall due to the fact I have kids and sometimes Japanese culture is just too hard to explain to midwestern American kids under the age of 12. With that said, our family vacation is Naka Kon in OP every year.
---------->I really enjoy slice of life and am a sucka for all things cute. I look forward to meeting others!
Onoda100

Re: Meet Onoda100

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue May 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey there Onoda.1k! I saw you create your accounts a while back and was looking forward to your first posts. I've heard some buzz about Free! this season so I'm guessing it's pretty good. I've only seen a bit of Kstuff, K-drama to be specific, City Hunter to be specific-err... I like what I've seen and really want to dig some more. Maybe I should throttle back on anime for a bit and explore. I'll play the flip-side of the coin, though, and suggest that perhaps the very complexity of Japanese culture is what makes it so entertaining, even to young Midwesterners. I'm glad you've already discovered Naka-Kon; it's probably the #1 major highlight for anime fans in the area and for good reason.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Onoda100 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks! Yes, I accidentaly created a couple of accounts per my frustration with a public network...grrrrr. Naka Kon, yes. My kids dig it and my husband and I dig it. We have thought about branching out perhaps to a Chicago Anime Convention....have you or anyoen gone to another? The cosplay this year was great, especially with all the Attack on Titan kids....I was super impressed by their cordination. 24 hour game room? Glad that took hold! Its been hard to find adults who enjoy other forms of anime other than Hentai (?). I am super excited to jump into the forums! Thanks for the intro and reply!
Onoda100

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue May 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Onoda100 wrote:Thanks! Yes, I accidentaly created a couple of accounts per my frustration with a public network...grrrrr. Naka Kon, yes. My kids dig it and my husband and I dig it. We have thought about branching out perhaps to a Chicago Anime Convention....have you or anyoen gone to another? The cosplay this year was great, especially with all the Attack on Titan kids....I was super impressed by their cordination. 24 hour game room? Glad that took hold! Its been hard to find adults who enjoy other forms of anime other than Hentai (?). I am super excited to jump into the forums! Thanks for the intro and reply!

Your luck has been pretty unfortunate as all the adult anime fans I've had the good fortune to know enjoy actual anime. That's really neat that your whole family is into anime; much of the time is solely a husband or a wife or a kid and I think any one of them are equally frustrated because it's a bit like sitting on an amazing secret that only remains a secret because they don't get it despite it being something they desperately want to share. I've been to Nebraskon and Anime Iowa. There's another local one called Motaku but it's not nearly on the same scale as Naka-Kon but it is held in the heady days of summer.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:58 pm

Haven't been to anything in Chicago. Been to Otakon in Baltimore (something like 20k in attendance when I went, now over 30k), A-Kon in Dallas, and Sakura kon in Seattle. They all were pretty fun. Otakon was pretty cool in that all the major licensors attended, and you would usually get new license announcements. Personally, I think whatever con you can attend with people you know is more fun, regardless of size, except for maybe Motaku which was to many people packed into to small a space to be much fun.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Onoda100 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:21 pm

I had no idea Motaku even existed! It turns out that it is right down the street from me as well. I am really excited to see something so close to my hood, Northeast. Its hard to find events that aren't all in the suburbs. However, I understand that anime is big with teenagers....sigh. I have also had trouble finding a good source for manga around here. I dig the apps like Manga cloud and what not but they are limited in their content. While I understand that Anime Source KC has some, its way out of the way to just take a look. Is anyone familiar with any manga shops in kc? They don't seem to exist via google search. Thanks again!
Onoda100

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Whichever book store is left at Oak Park, I think it is Barnes and Noble, and the one in Leawood are about the only places locally that I can think of. Online is probably a better bet, Amazon.com, therightstuf.com or if you don't mind digital, Crunchyroll has manga.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon May 19, 2014 8:19 am

As ZR said, Barnes & Noble in Oak Park Mall in Overland Park actually recently expanded their manga section by at least one shelf unit. There's also a B&N at the east end of the shopping center at 119th and Nall in OP. You could combine a visit to Anime Source KC, which also has a good selection, with one to either B&N, if you have to make a special trip. Hastings in Lawrence has some, new and used, though their selection of new and used anime is better than their manga.

Does anyone know if any of the Vintage Stocks do manga? I've gotten used anime from them too.

I also buy from rightstuf.com (sic) when I go online
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Onoda100 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 am

I have found some manga at vintage stock. The one in Raytown has like 20 books on the shelf at all times. Its small. I like digital but there is something about holding that book in your hand and reading it backwards very studiously in front of a curious crowd. pffftttt.

Kansas seems to have all the goods.
Onoda100

Postby ca_jas » Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Welcome Onoda100!

There is a B&N on the plaza that sells manga. I guess you could say the selection is small but I always seem to find something new each time I check it out, and to get the last Yotsuba& volume XD.

I went to ACEN in "chicago" several years ago but it was really in Rosemont, a suburb of Chicago. I personally did not like it but I also didn't get much of a chance to see everything. Part of the problem was that there weren't many places around to eat in Rosemont so each night we took the train to Chicago to pig out and would be out all night, missing any con stuff that was going on. I also got less of a "community" feeling from ACEN since vendors are coming from all across the country, not just the midwest. But if you attend you might have a different experience. :)

And just to meantion, I'm in the camp of anti K-pop/K-drama haha. But to each their own, enjoy it~ For me, about 5 years ago I discovered a lot of really cool "indie" Korean movies and after the K-pop invasion thing it's has become near impossible to find non rom-com Korean movies hah.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby bakamatt » Fri May 23, 2014 8:08 am

Hey, omedetou tanjoubi! (Happy birthday!)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri May 23, 2014 1:02 pm

bakamatt wrote:As ZR said, Barnes & Noble in Oak Park Mall in Overland Park actually recently expanded their manga section by at least one shelf unit. There's also a B&N at the east end of the shopping center at 119th and Nall in OP.

Update: I was at the B&N near 119th and Nall today: their manga section has been reduced significantly. So far as I know, the best brick-and-mortar sources for manga in town are now B&N at Oak Park Mall on 95th in OP, and Anime Source KC.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Introductions and Forum News