Aye.

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Aye.

Postby FlamboyantKitten » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Well, I'm Becka. 19, bored and new to Kansas City.
I moved here 'bout a month ago and I figure it's time to start trying to make some new friends.
And what better friends then friends who love anime, so here I am.

Anyroad, more about me, I started reading manga when I was 6 and watching anime before that.
I don't particularly have a favorite genre, I'll read/watch anything with good art and story plot. Though I do have a Top manga which is "Oyasumi Punpun" .
I've never been to a convention (I heard there is one here, but that it's already passed)
I don't cosplay, more of a collector and watcher/reader.
Hmm, I have a very ugly tattoo of Kiba Inuzuka on my arm that I got when I was 16 (AllDaRegret) along with a couple other random tattoos.

That's all I have really on anime about me stuff. Short and sweet I guess.
But, yep.
FlamboyantKitten

Re: Aye.

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Cheers Becka. Welcome the boards and KC too. Yeah, you did just miss Naka-Kon but there's also a smaller convention in summer called Motaku. It's a good primer for the big convention since you haven't been to one of any size yet. There are also lots of cons in neighboring states so there's a lot of cross-pollination between conventions it seems like. There's an anime store in the shopping center at 119th and 69 Highway and a couple of Japanese festivals, the best of which is the Greater KC Japanese Festival in late summer/early fall at JCCC on the chance that Japanese culture in general strikes your fancy.

Wow, starting out at 6 into this stuff...I can only imagine! I can't speak for anyone else but I have zero tattoos if only because I have commitment issues; I don't know that I could ever settle on sometime that I thought was timeless and cool save for a stylized dragon design from a wallpaper I had years ago which I never figured would translate well to skin sadly. Hah, I can't even settle on something so basic as a personalized license plate!

Allright, off to research Oyasumi Punpun.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: Aye.

Postby bakamatt » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:36 am

Welcome Becca, and thanks for posting.

In addition to the above mentioned Motaku, there's also a yaoi-themed con early in the year called Ahn-Con, if that's to your taste. I'm not the target demographic and have never been to it, but three annual anime cons isn't half bad for a Midwest city. Follow our "Events" folder for information about theatrical screenings and other events, which seem to average about ever six weeks. I kind of think KC is about the best city to be an anime fan in for about 400 miles in any direction. (Plus, we're getting an Ikea store in a few months! :roll:)

More generally, there's also a big comic book event that fell on the same weekend as Naka this year but doesn't usually, and some smaller comic shows. The local sf club's con is next month. Barnes & Noble is the best brick-and-mortar for manga I know of around here. Tabletop Game in Overland Park is an excellent game store; there's also 31st Century Games down on 151st in Olathe.

Where'd you move from?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Introductions and Forum News