Hajimemashite, minasan!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Hajimemashite, minasan!

Postby PhilESieve » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm Phil, I love Japan, but afraid to go there, now, after the Fukushima event. I love sashimi, but am not sure about that either. It was heartbreaking to hear of that disaster and its effects on people and nature, there. I've been there twice, before. Of all languages I've tried, Japanese stays in my head the most, so far, but I'm rusty.

I can still enjoy Japanese classic cinema, animated and non-animated post-war series and films, snacks and technology, though. I would like to know others who hang out and watch it and otherwise appreciate Japan, but I don't watch their erotic media, though the garden variety nude scenes (like in a bath) and some risque stuff seem to be part of the culture. I don't have the cash for cosplay outfits, but I like fighting games, of which I have a bunch from systems up to about the Sega Dreamscape (or whatever it was called), and can buy one now and then.

That's about it. Arigatoo!
PhilESieve

Re: Hajimemashite, minasan!

Postby bakamatt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:26 am

There's always room for another wanna-be.

I've poked at learning Japanese off and on for years. I nearly pass the level 4 (now level 5) JLPT some years back, implying at my best I was at less than first grade comprehension - nothing to brag about. But, as you say, my retention has been surprisingly high.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby PhilESieve » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:03 pm

How much I retained, I don't know. The kana is half there; the kanji was never there. I remember the words better.
PhilESieve

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 pm

No doubt you're a Kurosawa fan then since he seems to roughly be the live-action analog to Miyazaki, at least in regards to coming as close to a household name as a Japanese director can come. I've seen some Japanese films but I'd have to concede that my exposure to anime is far greater. I had made a moderate effort to familiarize myself with hirigana but never got to the katakana (...or was it the other way around?) but it's long since eroded since I never got into any way of reinforcing it other than character flashchards (phonetically writing words would have been neat but I had no material that approached it that way). I learned a modest number of Kanji as well via a tablet app but a new rev loaded it up with a bunch of distracting ads that made it impossible to concentrate on the learning material so I fell off that wagon. Like you, I can audibly make out quite a few words but I don't know enough connector verbiage to fabricate an effective conversation (or sentence for that matter).

We gather fairly randomly, usually to watch anime, but we've been known to watch live-action stuff as well. A silly tradition I've kind of had going is to have everyone over for my #00th series. I think I did that for my 300th and 400th series, the most recent being Steins;Gate, which I really enjoyed; enough such that I still haven't unstuck the phone from my microwave. Keep an eye open and come along whenever you see anything that intrigues you. I'm under 20 shows away from my 500th so that should be coming along sometime this spring.

Oh and check out Naka-Kon this spring if you have time. It's a blast for anyone who is a fan of all that you seem to be into. It's chaotic but fun.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby PhilESieve » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 am

Thanks! I actually watch more anime than live action, but I try to familiarize myself with their past stuff. My 2d to 3d converter makes the classics cooler than they are. It works on some anime, too. Rosetta Stone offers a free trial sample.

Is there a forum where meet up proposals are posted?

Oyasumi nasai (Good night!)!
PhilESieve

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 am

The "Events" section is the best section to keep an eye out for anything going on locally be it gatherings, cons, local anime movies or anything else of interest that anyone comes across.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Introductions and Forum News