Otaku+Geek+Gamer=???

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Otaku+Geek+Gamer=???

Postby Reinhart » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Greetings folks, I've moved to the US for nearly half a year but only registered to this forum just now.

As for introduction, I'm 21, a die hard Otaku, Warhammer 40.000 Geek and Gamer since forever, that leads to being an introvert, a pretty serious case of introvert. Well, that said, I don't have any friend in the US yet, so I hope I could make acquaintance to some people with the same interests around here.

I generally watch good comedies(School Rumble, Baka to Test, Nichijou,...) and slice of life(K-ON, Hyouka, Working, Acchi Kocchi,...) some shounen action sometimes(FMA Brotherhood, Durarara), but only good drama series and slice of life with in depth story - those that make me develop emotional attachment to the characters can make me sit by the computer for hours marathoning through the whole series smiling like an idiot: Clannad, Angel Beats, Ano Hana, ef, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojou

Well, that's that, nice to meet you all.
"What color do you want to be?"
Reinhart

Re: Otaku+Geek+Gamer=???

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi there Rinehart! You'll no doubt find someone who shares an interest in some combination of your interests or another. I often wonder if its the geeky hobbies that lead to introversion or the other way around. Nonetheless, that was exactly why I joined. I'd consider myself quite introverted as well so my friend pool was tiny with only one quasi-anime fan among them (probably more incidental momentum from my own enthusiasm than genuine interest by them). I'm about as head-over-heels for anime as one can get so it was a bit frustrating not having a sounding board. Luckily I ran into this cool bunch and I'm all the more well-adjusted for the experience...that or these crazy buggers have skewed my perception of normalcy. ;D

I'm glad you found us. Be sure to come hang out with us whenever we have a gathering next (we're kind of random so keep an eye on the "Events" section).
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 am

Hey, Reinhart, moved to the U.S. from where, if I may ask.

I played Warhammer Fantasy some years back, but have never been into 40K. However I know several people who play that operate out of Hometown, the game store in Lawrence; let me know if you'd like me to arrange an introduction. There's a GW store in, I think, Independence and two worthwhile game stores I know of in town, Tabletop at about 103rd and Metcalf in Overland Park, and 31st Century Games on 151st way south also in OP. Forum member Chief works at Gatekeeper Hobbies (comics and games) in Topeka. Mostly I'm a board game guy when I can find the time.

If you're willing to accommodate another shounen title, I'll lobby for Soul Eater. It's pretty, fun, and subverts the shounen paradigm in amusing ways.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Reinhart » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks for the welcome Tsunami, Matt.

Well, I moved here from Vietnam, been living there my whole life until now.

About the Warhammer 40k, I'm mainly just a novel and board games guy, not really into table top... yet, for I don't have the money and the time to paint all those models, for now. Glad to hear that you are a fellow Warhamner enthusiast too Matt, I have a set of Warhammer Invasion card game with several expansions at home, if you are interested, I will bring it along to Motaku on Saturday.
Reinhart

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:51 pm

bakamatt wrote:Hey, Reinhart, moved to the U.S. from where, if I may ask.

I played Warhammer Fantasy some years back, but have never been into 40K. However I know several people who play that operate out of Hometown, the game store in Lawrence; let me know if you'd like me to arrange an introduction. There's a GW store in, I think, Independence and two worthwhile game stores I know of in town, Tabletop at about 103rd and Metcalf in Overland Park, and 31st Century Games on 151st way south also in OP. Forum member Chief works at Gatekeeper Hobbies (comics and games) in Topeka. Mostly I'm a board game guy when I can find the time.

If you're willing to accommodate another shounen title, I'll lobby for Soul Eater. It's pretty, fun, and subverts the shounen paradigm in amusing ways.

I stumbled upon a gaming store in North KC, but they didn't seem to have much. There was some people playing table top games though. Welcome to the board, and apparently welcome to America Reinhart
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:02 pm

It was nice meeting you today. Thanks for bringing those cards to see; I think it's fair to say that the decks of cards you can get in Hong Kong are rather nicer than the ones available here.

Please keep in touch, and watch for future events - of which I think the next will probably be the Japanese Festival early in October.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Welcome to the forums!

I used to be really hardcore introvert and I always had friends trying to break that personality type in me, but I actually changed a lot when I started selling art at Nakakon. I had to become extrovert in order to attract attention to the art and make sales. I talked to a lot of anime fans that could barely speak a few words before shaking nervously so I practiced being patient with them and talking with them until they were comfortable. In the process I realized I wasn't all that introverted :P I also realized that my english isn't all that good haha but I try.

This forum is a great place to engage in conversation about any number of topics! We are all pretty diverse in our interests.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Reinhart » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Despite I'm still brooding over the fact I had to leave early, it was a great morning. I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys again.
Reinhart

Return to Introductions and Forum News