Hey Guys

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Hey Guys

Postby AnimeSourceKC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 am

Hi:

My name is Alex, I'm 24 and I'm opening an anime store in Overland Park next month, so I figured I should reach out to the community. I've been active myself, just not on forums. I staff Motaku, Naka, and Ahn!Con. I've also done stints at Anime Iowa, Nebraskon, and BronyCon. I also run Midwest Bronyfest in Kansas City.

You may remember me from the Shibari panel and the 'Men Eating Things Suggestively' panel at Ahn!Con... sadly :).

Anyway good to be here! I'm on Facebook at facebook.com/AnimeSourceKC.

Peace,
Alex
AnimeSourceKC

Re: Hey Guys

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Alex,

Welcome, thanks for posting, and good luck with the store! We only heard about it a couple of days ago. I and site potentate Tsunami3k both work within a few minutes of 888.

Matt
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby AnimeSourceKC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah, I figured: Hmm, KC doesn't have one of these and there is Ramune, Pocky, and Coffee in walking distance. What could possibly go wrong?

I never grew up, so I figured I'd make a living on it.
AnimeSourceKC

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Glad you tracked us down. A thread started about you not to long ago so it's safe to presume our spies have already infiltrated your network. In fact, just last night, I was speaking to Geoffrey about your store a bit. Certainly a good location as far as I'm concerned but I'm kind of a crack monkey when it comes to anime. From what I gather, you're initially going to start off with a fairly solid core lineup of anime and manga and, no doubt, a solid core of goods from AAA. (Please correct me where I'm wrong. I've pieced this together from various random pieces of data that I've collected thus far.)

Should you find yourself wanting for a broader base of goods, however (and/or perhaps you find that you've got more space than you can fill initially), then I'd gladly do what I can to connect you with Curt, another Kansas anime vendor who specializes in direct Japanese imports roughly split between currently popular stuff and classic stuff with just a sprinkling of niche cult classic stuff. You've done a lot of cons so if you're familiar with Asylum Anime then you're familiar with this guy (and likewise you probably know what it's like to walk a floor with booth after booth of near-identical AAA goods only to encounter a refreshing anomaly like Curt) so I'm sure if the terms were reasonable, he'd be open to some sort of proxy selling arrangement should you be open to it.

I'm stoked either way that an anime shop will be so close by but said arrangement could certainly throw jet fuel on a bonfire, for my motivations anyway. Another possibly lucrative niche would be to make your shop a local nexus for used anime and manga (and maybe figures!). VintageStock is a bit hit or miss for anime depending on the location, likewise Half Price Books is a bit of a dice roll as far as manga goes. The term "slim pickin's" comes to mind. Save for Curt (who isn't exactly local), I don't know of a single place that's got a compelling selection of figures. Hastings often has a tiny smattering of trading figures and another store has a few 1/8th[ish] scale figures and yet other comic shops purport to send your Diamond orders in but none can really claim to be the go-to place for anime or video game figures. That said, I can't say I know what the local demand for figures is either, only that it's something that I'd eagerly support.

Sorry for the armchair quarterbacking. I've had a few beers and I get oddly analytical when I'm slightly lit. ;D I'm very excited about the store and I'm sure you'll do great no matter how you choose to evolve it. Please let us know the instant it's open! I can totally identify with not growing up. I'm the poster boy for Peter Pan Syndrome.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:42 am

Hello Alex & everyone at Anime Source KC. Welcome to the forums (belatedly). And I wish you the most happy luck on your venture. I'm sure I'll be spending a few $$ there.

I'd like to extend a special notice & invite to the 10th anniversary gathering of our forum. It would be a great way to get to know you.

http://www.animekc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2962
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby AnimeSourceKC » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Gaa! I wish I could make it out to say hi. But I'll be in Indianapolis selling at HetaliaCon. So yay and not so yay. I'll keep an eye out on fan events.

Cheers,
Alex
AnimeSourceKC

Return to Introductions and Forum News