New guy here

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

New guy here

Postby E_HOBA_666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:50 pm

I found this site on google, who knew? Anyway I figured I'd join because I currently don't know anybody else in this town that is into anime, so here I am. I've been into anime since I watched Robotech on TV back in the 80's, those were the good old days. I'm more into the mecha and cyberpunk stuff, but if it's good I'll give it a watch. Some of my favorites are:

-Macross
-Gundam
-Patlabor
-Bubblegum Crisis
-Votoms
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Ghost in the Shell
-Appleseed
-Cowboy Bebop
-Samurai Champloo
-Fooly Cooly
-Black Lagoon
-Gunsmith Cats

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few, but that's the gist of it. I also run a few blogs, one of which is centered around anime mecha and what not. There is a link in my signature if anybody is into that sort of thing. Aside from that I'm pretty much just on here to see what KC has to offer anime fans like myself. Are there any other mecha-heads out there?
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/- [---JUMP-GATE---] -/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
E_HOBA_666

Re: New guy here

Postby ca_jas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Oh yeah, you're gonna fit in great here. Welcome aboard, you ain't leaving haha.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Nice list. You're hitting the sweet spots of a lot of peoples' favorites here including many of mine. While I think there's general respect for BGC I don't recall it being discussed much (maybe it was before I joined the boards) but I don't recall a single mention of Votoms which seems to be a perennial favorite among mecha fans so it's great to have someone on board who's familiar with it. So congrat's, you're our new Votoms expert! Of course NGE is a slam-dunk; there are fans of it everywhere. Same for Bebop. BakaMatt is probably our biggest Patlabor fan so you two will get along nicely.

So, E_HOBA, are you going to be at Naka-Kon this weekend?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Like T3k said, Patlabor has been one of my top 3 for years, and Evangelion as well.

If you do get to Naka-Kon, which you certainly ought to, a guy called Jason at the Asylum Anime table in the dealers' room will have some "new" (as in, I haven't seen them yet) Patlabor cels. It's not like they're making any more of them...
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Does Curt have a sidekick?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:Does Curt have a sidekick?

"Minion," I'm thinking, is more the word.

He sounded to me like he wasn't going to be there his own self.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby E_HOBA_666 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks guys.

I kind of forgot about Naka-Kon to be honest. Is it worth checking out? I've never been to any shows like that so I'm not really sure what to expect.
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/- [---JUMP-GATE---] -/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
E_HOBA_666

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:20 am

Cons aren't everyone's thing, but almost.

You should check their own site. But it's lots and lots of rabid fans; panels about many aspects of Japanese popular culture, fandom, and people who work in the industry; three tracks of anime screenings; many, many people in costume and a big costume contest; a room full of people selling imported and domestic anime merchandise; various sorts of trivia contests; parties; a "formal" dance (tux or kimono), amateur and semi-pro artists, gaming... What else am I forgetting?

But cons can also be miserably lonely when it seems like everyone else is with friends and you're by yourself. At the minimum, feel free to look for me - old guy, red hair, white beard, badge says "Matt".
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby E_HOBA_666 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:09 am

Ah, well that's about what I expected. I'll see if I can drag some of my friends out but I'll most likely have to fly solo on this one. I'll try to stop by on saturday and check it out. If any of you guys see a skinny guy with glasses and tattoos wandering around in awe, it's probably me.
E_HOBA_666

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Does your username reference anything Mr. H?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby E_HOBA_666 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Eiichiro Hoba was the mastermind behind the rogue labors in Patlabor The Movie (aka he was the bad guy) and his user ID was "666".

Excellent anime if you haven't seen it.
Last edited by E_HOBA_666 on Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E_HOBA_666

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 pm

E_HOBA_666 wrote:Eiichiro Hoba was the mastermind behind the rogue labors in Patlabor The Movie (aka he was the bad guy)

Excellent anime if you haven't seen it.

Haha, well I'm pretty sure Matt would have cut off all communications with me had I done anything less than watch all Patlabor properties released in North America (or at least he's undoubtedly more than willing to let me believe that) so I have of course had to comply. It's been a while since I've seen the movies but I definitely recall them being enjoyable. Clearly, though, I completely spaced the dead dude's name. o.o
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Introductions and Forum News