Hihi!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Hihi!

Postby Pierreuse » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 pm

This is sort of a cute and interesting forum. Looks a little dead though. :/

I'm in KC and have been a fan of anime for quite a while, though not a hardcore one. I don't watch that many series at once. More or less just watch and re-watch some, occasionally picking up something new.

Some of my favorites are Monster, everything by Satoshi Kon, FMA, and Mononoke (not the Ghibli film :p). Right now I'm reading Liar Game and enjoying it. Recently I knocked out a few shoujo and BL series, but I'm not a heavy reader.

Are there any anime events in KC besides Nakacon? And what about anime/manga stores? I lived in San Diego for almost five years and got thoroughly spoiled by Book Off, Kinokuniya, Mitsuwa and Fry's. @_@ Lately I've been considering joining an anime group/club. Are there any good ones in the area? :o
Pierreuse

Re: Hihi!

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm

There is actually 3 cons in Kansas City (Naka Kon, Motaku, and some yaoi con that I don't know the name of), as well as the annual Japan Festival which usually has some anime content, but it's not exclusively an anime con. Anime/Manga is only really available through brick and mortar joints like Best Buy and Barnes and Noble. There is also Asylum Anime about an hour or two South of KC in Pittsburg, KS. But visits have to be arranged in advance because the owner sells at all the major cons, so his stock may not be very good during the summer con season. If you look in the event section, we are planning a trip down there for the 23rd of this month, and we have a couple of open spots. This group is kind of quiet as far as getting together to watch anime. Although not affiliated with this group in any way, other then I am a member of both groups, is the meetup.com group http://www.meetup.com/Sensible-Anime-Manga-Fans/ that is a little more active as far as hosting anime viewings.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:04 am

I lived in San Diego from 1963 to 1994, still have many fannish friends there, and get back for visits occasionally. The last time was about five years ago and the Book Off was open, and made my brain fall out, but it's news to me that there's a Kinokuniya there now. Those are going to be hard stores to do without if you're used to them.

Thanks for posting!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Hey, Welcome! I hope you stay, and enjoy it here!

Monster is fantastic! It's the longest series I've watched actually; but it's well put together so it's definitely worth the time invested.
I've never heard of a Mononoke outside of the Ghibli film. What's it like?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I think Mononoke is kind of like Mushishi
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Ah, a Satoshi Kon fan, nice! I've been reading a book about in recent weeks. He had a pretty amazing mind. I miss his influence a lot. I like pretty much everything you listed save for Monster which I suspect I'd like but Viz never released in its entirety. Maybe someday I'll stream it but for whatever reason I just can't get into streaming. Oh, and I haven't seen the Mononoke you're referring to but, since it shares such good company, I'm definitely interested in knowing more about it.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Pierreuse » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. :) Now for individual replies...

ZeroRyoko1974-- Thanks, that's all really useful information actually. :)

bakamatt-- Haha, no Kinokuniya in SD, but I visited LA pretty frequently, at least four times a year, and there's one in Little Tokyo. All in all, Fry's was the best place to buy anime, with amazing prices and an awesome selection. Book Off was good too but half the time you couldn't find an entire series, just a few DVDs here and there. Fry's does a lot of complete boxed sets in smaller boxes with really nice art for only $20 or $30 for an entire show. I think all of Mushishi was $19.99. Yeah, I miss Fry's.

TectonicMuse-- Thanks! Monster was really good. XD I like Urasawa's other stuff too but it's sort of harder to find. I actually enjoyed 20th Century Boys and Pluto quite a bit.

Tsunami3k-- Satoshi Kon is awesome. Millennium Actress is one of my favorite anime films. What book were you reading? I'd love to check it out.
Pierreuse

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am

Pierreuse wrote:Tsunami3k-- Satoshi Kon is awesome. Millennium Actress is one of my favorite anime films. What book were you reading? I'd love to check it out.

Millennium Actress is also my favorite of his and is on my top-10 list of all time. The fluidity and malleability of his imagination is awe-inspiring. The book I'm reading is Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist. It covers all of his major works and has given me a lot of insight into things I wasn't clear on or just missed completely. I'd definitely recommend it to any Kon fan.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forums!

I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Sky Crawlers is one of the best anime movies of all time. Haha I just had to express that somewhere but it's not relevant in any other thread.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Return to Introductions and Forum News