New to Kansas City

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

New to Kansas City

Postby BretDM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Hey everybody, my name is Bret and I just moved to Kansas City from central Kansas. I have friends and family in the area, but was glad to find this page because while they share many interests with me, anime is not one of them! I started out watching as a kid with shows like Dragon Ball Z and Gundam, but really fell in love when I saw Escaflowne. I've just recently become an addict, so I've only probably seen 30-40 series. Some of my favorites are Escaflowne, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, anything by Key, and most Gundam series. I haven't seen a ton of new shows with trying to catch up on the semi-older ones, but I've liked some newer releases like Mirai Nikki and Another. I'll stop rambling now though, nice to meet you all!
BretDM

Re: New to Kansas City

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Good to meet you. I recommend you see Tengen Toppa Gurann Laggan (spelling?) it's like Eva without the sniveling and whining Shinji.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Welcome to the board Bret. Your history with anime has you in a particularly advantageous spot I think. Whereas those starting off with anime relatively late in the game, I think it's a bigger leap to those familiar with current narrative and animation styles to the more rough-and-tumble style of prior years. Those that make the effort are rewarded with some daring storytelling and the inexplicable "flavor" of cel-era animation. I wouldn't put one era over another except to say that it's a shame when one is presumed superior to the other when clearly both have plenty to offer. Maybe by your estimate 30-40 series is low but you've got an great slice of who's who properties across a pretty wide time horizon. I'm glad you tracked us down and I look forward to your future posts. There's a category for nearly anything so post away!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 am

Welcome, and thanks for posting.

There are better anime towns than KC, but there are sure as heck as worse, too. We've got our little late-summer con (Motaku), our medium-sized early spring con (Naka-Kon), and, if it succeeds, a winter yaoi con. Plus the Japan Festival sets up a nice fannish ghetto in the back of the building for us (although, sadly, if you're interested, you just missed it). Plus quite a few other cons close enough for a weekend trip - Nebraska, Iowa, Wichita, Oklahoma, St. Louis, a new one in Arkansas...

And a meetup group and, of course, us. If you haven't done so, you might peruse the "events" folder.

(Also, if you're a "mainstream" sci-fi fan as well, check out KaCSFFS.)

Like T3k said, that's a nice spread of shows you mention. Eva has been one of my top three favorites for years, and I'm a big Escaflowne booster too.

Again, welcome!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 am

And - how could I forget - occasional screnings at the Screenland, such as the first and second Eva movies and Trigun: Badlands Rumble.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bret; and welcome to KC as well! Hope you enjoy it here.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Yes, hopefully we get the 3rd Eva movie in the not to distant future.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Introductions and Forum News