Just moved!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Just moved!

Postby thetash » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Hey, everyone!

My name is Tash, I'm a twenty-something that just moved here a few months ago and I still haven't been able to get a feel for most of the city, so I figured this might be a good place to start. I'm not the biggest anime fan in the sense that I often don't finish a series if I get bored, which happens often, but my favourites are close to my heart (and those are such great series as Evangelion, FMA, Rurouni Kenshin, Gantz, Chi's Sweet Home - judge away! - and more). I actually read more manga these days and am currently reading Gantz, Sailor Moon and Grand Guignol Orchestra. My main passion from Japan is actually J-Rock/J-Pop. I just got back from seeing L'Arc~en~Ciel in NYC, so I am a pretty dedicated fan and would love to meet other people that are into the music side!

Are there any good spots I should keep an eye out for? Fun stores and hangouts and cons I should be aware of? The only one I really know of is Naka-kon and I know I missed it already.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you! :)
thetash

Re: Just moved!

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Ah good, I'm glad you found the intro thread. That's a pretty good list of favorites so I don't know that you'll be too harshly judged, at least by me. ;D I'd like to hear more about Grand Guignol Orchestra, though, since this is the first I've heard of it. As for music, I haven't yet caught the L'Arc bug but I do love The Pillows and just about anything composed by Yoko Kanno or Yuki Kajiura. Naka-Kon is definitely the biggest local event. If you're into Japanese culture then there are a couple of local Japanese festivals, most notably the Greater Kansas City Japan Festival held every year (I think September this year) at JCCC. Motaku is the other KC convention which [I think] is in August this year but you'll probably want to double-check me on that. It's a much younger (and thus smaller) con but it's still a great chance to hang out with other anime people. J-snacks are best obtained from a little oriental market on 103rd and Metcalf but there are numerous other places that are great alternatives if that's not the closest location for you. A more general Asian alternative would be the 888 Market on 119th and 69 Highway. If you go, prepare to be overwhelmed.

Enjoy the forums. I look forward to your future posts; don't hesitate to ask or chime in on anything. We tend to post in bursts but I think you'll find that everyone here is pretty enthusiastic and helpful. Cheers!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Welcome to the forums Tash. For a couple of cool Asian restraunts (and cool areas in general), Check out Sama Zama in Westport, and Po's Dumpling Bar in the 39th and Bell area.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:22 pm

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Welcome to the forums Tash. For a couple of cool Asian restraunts (and cool areas in general), Check out Sama Zama in Westport, and Po's Dumpling Bar in the 39th and Bell area.

Yep, and more [good] sushi joints than you can shake a stick at!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby thetash » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Chi's Sweet Home tends to raise some eyebrows with people, but I don't even care, it's impossible not to love it.
If you're familiar with Kaori Yuki at all, it's basically very typical of her. You might compare it to Godchild in that it has a very obvious French influence (instead of Victorian) and isn't really otherworldly, with more ethereal characters like were seen in Angel Sanctuary, but with more focus on zombies. So it's a bit dark, just nowhere near as dark as some of her other lines. It's not a long series, either, so it's pretty easy to commit to. You should check it out if that sounds good to you!

Nice! So there are quite a few events. I've lived in a lot of places in the US (I come from Sydney, Australia) and I don't usually have too much trouble seeking out the multicultural areas, but here has been tough. I've been to 888 (honestly, living in Portland, OR before here spoiled me - Uwajimaya is paradise!) and the other Oriental Supermarket which did have some good stuff, is that the one you mean? I heard there were a couple of others but couldn't find out much more than that. :o

Are there any places you can go to source collectibles and stuff like that, or do you tend to have to wait for con vendors?

Auugh, definitely, good sushi sounds awesome. I went to a place in Brookside for nabe and it was awesome, so I'm glad you can get good Asian fare here despite being landlocked!
Are most of the good sushi places kind of around the Westport area, then?

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! And I hope you don't mind all the questions. Nobody knows better than locals!
thetash

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 pm

thetash wrote:Chi's Sweet Home tends to raise some eyebrows with people, but I don't even care, it's impossible not to love it.
If you're familiar with Kaori Yuki at all, it's basically very typical of her. You might compare it to Godchild in that it has a very obvious French influence (instead of Victorian) and isn't really otherworldly, with more ethereal characters like were seen in Angel Sanctuary, but with more focus on zombies. So it's a bit dark, just nowhere near as dark as some of her other lines. It's not a long series, either, so it's pretty easy to commit to. You should check it out if that sounds good to you!

I've started collecting the Chi's Sweet Home manga for what it's worth. I'm waiting until I have a few more volumes on hand until I start reading since I'm already caught up on a few running series and hate waiting for more volumes to trickle out. I'm wary of zombie themes if only because I'm tired of the memeish trend they've become in recent years much like vampires. I may wait until low-tide when I'm more likely to assess it farily.

thetash wrote:Nice! So there are quite a few events. I've lived in a lot of places in the US (I come from Sydney, Australia) and I don't usually have too much trouble seeking out the multicultural areas, but here has been tough. I've been to 888 (honestly, living in Portland, OR before here spoiled me - Uwajimaya is paradise!) and the other Oriental Supermarket which did have some good stuff, is that the one you mean? I heard there were a couple of others but couldn't find out much more than that. :o

Yeah, the Oriental Supermarket is probably king if you're primarily intersted in J-stuff although the 888 is obviously far bigger. I don't doubt it pales in comparison to the best Portland has to offer but it's probably the biggest we have in the local lineup. Of all things I get obsessed with the big section of enormous strainers they have there. It's a shame I never have everyone over for a huge ramen dinner!

thetash wrote:Are there any places you can go to source collectibles and stuff like that, or do you tend to have to wait for con vendors?

No way, questions are great. It hardly does anyone any good if we keep our hard-fought knowledge a secret! :P

Every once in a blue moon I'll organize a trip to visit Curt, the owner of Anime Asylum. You typically find him at various anime conventions. What's cool about his spin on the whole thing is that he actually visits Japan several times a year and digs up obscure stuff ranging from bleeding-edge shows that have yet to take off here to hard to find vintage stuff from shows that have stood the test of time. Most other con vendors seem to buy the same videos, wall-scrolls, t-shirts, etc. from the same domestic distributor which makes his lineup of stuff really cool. Anyway, if you'd like, I can let you know when we're planning our next trip down there. You're more than welcome to come along! It's probably important to note that it's in Pittsburg, KS so prepare to endure a near two-hour return trip buried in anime swag. ;D

thetash wrote:Auugh, definitely, good sushi sounds awesome. I went to a place in Brookside for nabe and it was awesome, so I'm glad you can get good Asian fare here despite being landlocked!
Are most of the good sushi places kind of around the Westport area, then?

Nope. It's a shocker being as landlocked as we are but I mean it when I say there are tons of sushi places everywhere and most are quite good. I live near JCCC and I can think of close to half a dozen sushi places that I'd recommend within about 5 miles.

thetash wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! And I hope you don't mind all the questions. Nobody knows better than locals!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 am

Welcome, Tash, and thanks for posting. You really have traveled a lot, haven't you?

You're not even the first Chi's fan of record on the forum.

At one time there was a storefront dealer in anime merchandise to the east in Independence, Mo Iikai, but no one ever seems to know if they're still open or not. I'll second T3k's endorsement of Asylum Anime - Curt is an amazing resource.

I'm only following a few manga titles these days. Soul Eater, because I'm so high on the anime. Gunslinger Girl, ditto. Hayate the Combat Butler, Gurren Lagann (if it ever comes off hiatus), the once-every-couple-of-years Evangelion. I'll be having a look at the new Madoka Magica when it ships in a couple of months. The manga title I'm really big on is Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, which shipped regularly for a while but has been very spotty lately - volume 12 has solicited and canceled twice. It's about a bunch of slacker graduates from a second-class Buddhist college who can't find work, so use their paranormal abilities to help neglected and abused bodies. It's often grotesque, and often funny, sometimes in the same panel. I get some of my manga from my comic store, some from the Barnes & Noble in Oak Park Mall at 95th and Quivera in Overland Park, and some from the Hastings in Lawrence. (Which, by the way, if you haven't visited, you might drive over some time. It's a college town, the home of the University of Kansas, and the area around Massachusetts Street is a lot of fun.)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:37 am

Chi's sweet home was great. Manga I like are Fruits Basket, Negima, Love Hina, Claymore, and Berserk. Sushi places to check out
http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/34/3352/Kan ... estaurants
Sakura (Lees Summit Summit Shopping Mall Chipman and Blue Pkway. Some cheap lunch specials, including some Chinese dishes)
Siki (just south of Sakura on Blue Pkway in L.S.)
Sushi Gin (95th and Null. Kind of rustic laid back place . Has a $1 a piece Sushi special for lunch)
Sakura (75th and Niemen. They have a Sushi train)
Jun's (76th and Stateline. Very relaxing atmosphere)
Mr Le's Sushi (North of the river in Claycomo)
Kabuki (Crown Center. Very expensive, but nice portions and a good variety of dishes)
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Introductions and Forum News