ASK-C Back on the Radar?

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

ASK-C Back on the Radar?

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Per a comment or two by Mr. Scott over the last couple of months, I did some research into why Google searches for "anime kansas city" and the like weren't turning up hits for us. It turns out that, during our abrupt transition last fall, I very stupidly failed to populate our title, description and keyword meta tags (stuff the search indexing bots for Google, et al, rely on) correctly. I've corrected this and have submitted our site to all the major players (Google, Bing, Ask, etc.) several times over to register is and bump us up in the rankings. Only tonight did I actually see a link to us finally percolate up into the first 100 results on variations permutations of a typical search for us. For some reason Google's bot is obsessed with Matt's Gokudo post from 2003 but a hit is a hit. Hopefully now, perhaps people will find us again!

Anyway, anyone not above gaming the system a little can help improve our stats (and, thus, our ranking) by occasionally searching for us (much like Scott's been doing) via various criteria and clicking on relevant links to us. Note that most search engines also log "dwell time" so clicking to our site and then navigating back the the search site too quickly will register as a "negative hit" as to compared to navigating and staying for a bit [which improves our "score"].
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: ASK-C Back on the Radar?

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks for the effort! Some day you'll have to explain how you populate all that metadata & stuff. Right now I need to do some clicking & dwelling.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:01 am

Tsunami3k wrote: For some reason Google's bot is obsessed with Matt's Gokudo post from 2003

"For some reason"? Hey, it's Gokudo!

(You know, I oughta watch that again.)

I echo Scott: thanks for your trouble.

KT wrote:I need to do some clicking & dwelling

And there's no one who clicks and dwells like you!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:44 am

Wow! It looks like Gokudo was only Matt's second post in the earliest days of ASK-C, a couple of days after joining. And well done, I enjoyed reading it. If my search is right Wiggle was the first to make a post on the forum with Rose of Versatile. Some real history here.

Dwell, baby, dwell.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:16 pm

And Rose of Versailles still hasn't been released here. Diskotek need to get on the job.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 pm

I propose making business cards again. I do believe I found one on the ground in westport way back in the day and used that to find the site~
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 pm

There were business cards?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

I can't find it but yes, it had the blue and orange color scheme with the girl with bunny ears on it.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, way back when. I'm far from sure, but I think Jen or Gretchen made them for us. We'd give them to people we spotted camping in the manga section at Borders and such. I'd forgotten all about it.

As promotions went, I think it worked better than anything else we ever tried.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Unless you can get a hold of those two to get that design back to make more cards, maybe I could design new ones for us. I have an account with Vista Prints
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 pm

If it had the little bunny girl (or bunny-shaped coat) on it then we probably can't use it. I suppose "can't" is a bit strong, rather nobody knew how to contact the artist for the original mascot so we've refrained from using it for anything new. I've actually been thinking about asking if I could commission a new mascot or perhaps a more general theme for us (not just for cards but the site as well), time-permitting of course, but I've yet to come up with a worthy idea.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:nobody knew how to contact the artist for the original mascot

"C", as she was known, was drawn by ancient disappeared member jehzavere, girlfriend at the time to equally ancient disappeared member kenshin138. Her membership profile does include a website that doesn't look, at first glance, very current. He was a gamer, used to hang around at Tabletop Game and Hobbies sometimes. So it's a slight exaggeration to say we have no way to find her; we have tenuous and probably obsolete ways.

However, I see no reason to not create a new mascot and/or theme.

Enough of this musing on departed friends and the past; it's making me sad. Of the "charter members" only ZeroRyoko and I remain; he was earlier than I was by a month or two and hence is Member Emeritus.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 am

Maybe our resident artist ca_jas can make us a new mascot. Or we could whip some stick figures in mspaint :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Maybe our resident artist ca_jas can make us a new mascot. Or we could whip some stick figures in mspaint :lol:

As long as it won't piss off the disappeared members I'd be glad to. Start thinking of ideas, you guys can do that work and I'll do the work of drawing it~
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 pm

And thus was born The Society for Researching the Modernization of Our Cultural Visibility or, obviously, Genshurikendo.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introductions and Forum News