Introductions [Original Thread]

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Welcome, and thanks for posting. That's an impressively eclectic list of favorite creators and works.

Could I ask how you found us?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Elaborate introductions are always the best. Anecdotal observation suggests that you are not alone in your eclectic tastes here. Your current anime lineup (Mushishi, Elfen Lied, and Planetes) is pretty damn good selection. They've all been generally well received by those here who've seen them so I hope you end up enjoying them too.

It's good to see a new person on the forums and I hope you'll continue to get 'carried away' with your posts.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ForSatori1919 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yeah my playlists tend to be a little....random.

I found this group through an online group on the JCCC site for Anime, but it seems to be completely dead as of a year ago, but i saw a link to this and it seemed pretty active so i thought i'd join the fun.

The current series are so far very impressive. Mushishi being my favorite so far.

I'm waiting for my holds at the library to come in soon aswell. I look foward to starting Afro Samurai, Paprika, Ghost In The Shell:SAC, Fullmetal Alchemist(giving this show a 2nd shot, saw it a few times on Adult Swim and I have to say it didn't really blow me away), Gantz, Cromartie High School, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Samurai 7, and Fullmetal Panic.
ForSatori1919

Postby Aldric » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi everybody, I just joined up today (although I will say I've visited the forum before, just haven't had the time to contribute.) And my name is Ben, although on most forums I go by Aldric.

I'm 24 and moved to KC in '05 from Michigan after getting a job at Cerner where I've been for 3 years now (real life is scary!) My hobbies are reading, anime (oh really!), cooking, and am a sometimes avid cyclist.

I'm a recovering WoW addict, but am happy to say that starting at the beginning of Dec I have been clean of WoW so now I have time for other stuff like anime, and more importantly, talking about anime. So here I am joining up with your community to do just that.

Other fun stuff about me:
I'm a Mac user
I drive a VW GTO Fahrenheit (if you've ever seen an orange VW around town... thats probably me) and it's my pride and joy.
I'm single and usually love it (nobody but me gets to say no to buying toys)
My current favorite series is Overdrive (a cycling anime).. or maybe Moyashimon, it's hard to say it changes all the time
The release I'm looking forward to most right now is 5 cm/s

I look forward to getting to know all of you and discussing some great anime.

Oh! And you can find me on http://myanimelist.net/profile/Aldric although my list isn't really complete but usually gets updated weekly.
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Hello Aldric aka Ben. Welcome to ASK-C. That was a good introduction.
There's a wide range of interests & ages here, I'm sure you'll find a lot in common with other people. There's even someone here already that is a Mac Master & likes VW's!

Maybe we can see ya at Naka-Kon?
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 pm

We've also got recovering WoW'ers like myself. I'm also really looking forward to 5cm Per Second as well as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as both have gotten a lot of press in the last year. See you around the boards!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby saratune » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 am

Hiya and welcome Aldric and Cody, from another newbie on the forums. :)
saratune
Anime Fan

Postby Wiggle » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:14 am

Kokon Tozai wrote: There's even someone here already that is a Mac Master & likes VW's!

*waves* :) Welcome Aldric! I'm a Mac user and a VW beetle owner myself, so, welcome to the forum!

(Yes, I'm late on a lot of topics.)
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Hiya

Postby C-Prime » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi everybody!

My name's Chuck and I'm a recovering FFXI addict (still need the patch once in a while). Quit for a month and found a ton of free time on my hands, so I got a bit more into anime.

So far I've seen and enjoyed:
Hellsing
Elfen Lied
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Haruhi
Paprika

Firefly is still my favorite show of all time, but that's not anime.

Let's see... the other stuff, I'm 23, just bought a house in Lee's Summit that I spend the bulk of my time remodeling. Aside from gaming, and anime, I'm into gardening and beekeeping. Music varies depending on my mood, and whether or not I'm trying to knock loose some j-pop intro/ending theme that got stuck in my head.

Anyway, I've decided it's time find and meet a few of my fellow geeks, that's why I've come here, and why I'm going to Naka-kon next weekend. Just look for the red headed guy that could easily cosplay Dr. Tokita of Paprika. Well... I'm not THAT fat... but I wouldn't need nearly as many pillows.
C-Prime

Postby bakamatt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Hey Chuck, thanks for posting.

We kept bees for two seasons a couple of years back. Killed the hive when we tried to swap queens, though. I envy the days before veroa mites - having to spray a hive was a big project, especially when it was hot outside.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Aldric » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Hey Chuck, nice to see a new face around here, now I'm not the new guy anymore!

Keep fighting those MMOs, they're dirty dirty things ;)
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Greggo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 am

I guess this makes me the new guy!

I'm Greggo. I'm in Gardner, moved here back in August. I've been an anime fan for about fifteen years now (I'm 32). Up until last year I was "famous" in convention fandom as the executive producer and host for For Randy Entertainment. We produced game shows for cons from 1999 until 2007. I retired last year; anime conventions have skewed way too young for me to still be "in touch" with the average congoer, so I stopped.

Here is footage from one of the last game shows I did, at Tekkoshocon in Pittsburgh April of 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1oArnPg9Y

My favorite shows include Higurashi, Maison Ikkoku, Death Note, ef - a tale of memories and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm definitely interested in meeting local fans, but sadly am not currently in possession of transportation to go to meetups or gatherings. If I meet you guys and you're not terribly frightening (which I doubt) I might just invite people over to my place to watch stuff on my new widescreen television. :D Or even play some of my game shows. Anime Press Your Luck, anyone?
I host game shows at cons! Check them out!
Greggo

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Greggo wrote:I guess this makes me the new guy!

I'm Greggo. I'm in Gardner, moved here back in August. I've been an anime fan for about fifteen years now (I'm 32). Up until last year I was "famous" in convention fandom as the executive producer and host for For Randy Entertainment. We produced game shows for cons from 1999 until 2007. I retired last year; anime conventions have skewed way too young for me to still be "in touch" with the average congoer, so I stopped.

That feeling of alienation has become fairly prevalent and has been noted by several people here too. I don't actually mind the younger crowd but their numbers are overwhelming enough that the old school crowd does indeed feel diluted. So have you just retired from producing con game shows or from con going altogether?

Greggo wrote:My favorite shows include Higurashi, Maison Ikkoku, Death Note, ef - a tale of memories and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm definitely interested in meeting local fans, but sadly am not currently in possession of transportation to go to meetups or gatherings. If I meet you guys and you're not terribly frightening (which I doubt) I might just invite people over to my place to watch stuff on my new widescreen television. :D Or even play some of my game shows. Anime Press Your Luck, anyone?

That's quite a wide gamut of titles (chronologically and in stylistically); you should fit in quite well here. :wink: Contrary to your speculation, we are in fact a marginally frightening bunch but mostly in ways that perplex mundane people. Certainly nothing that would phase anyone with 15 years of fandom under their belt.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:27 pm

I'm not aware of any fans in Gardner. But what with KC being so big and spread out we expect to have to do some driving sometimes for events - you'd likely get some takers if you did host a screening. (Minsky's in the City Market, where we're heading this Saturday, is about a 50 minute drive for me.)

We're somewhat odd, but not particularly scary.

I accept that I don't understand the current generation of anime fans - I'm one of the old farts around here - but I still enjoy being around them. Their passion is wonderful: being at an anime con in 2008 is like being at a Star Trek con in 1974.

Thanks for posting, and welcome.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby C-Prime » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Welcome, Greggo.

I'm sure there are fans in Gardner, though there might not be any in this group.

If you do manage to make it to an event somehow (someone picks you up or something) be sure to bring something that can wash down the odd snacks that show up at gatherings.
C-Prime

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions and Forum News