Introductions [Original Thread]

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

decultured roommate feeling the peer pressure

Postby dakkon_soulblade » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:13 am

Hello all my name is John Hufford, I am 27 years old and have enjoyed watching anime for many many years. Jeff (decultured) has been bugging me to make a post, we just got back from SoGen con so I am taking a moment to write this small post. SoGen con was awesome. They had a great variety of events and were pretty organized. I would be interested in going to an Anime Meeting here in KC we tried to start a group up north many years ago with are group of friends but that did not last very long. I watch almost anything. Some of my favorites were: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Golden Boy, Cutie Honey, Ah-My Goddess. Some recent titles I have been enjoying have been Lucky Star, Abenobashi, and been trying to watch all the Miyazaki I have not seen.

I will attempt to post as often as I can. Nice to make everyones acquaintance look forward to great anime discussions.

Dakkon Soulblade
dakkon_soulblade

Postby Zared » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:19 am

Welcome to the group John! It's always great to see new people. :) If you haven't gone yet, you might like to check out Naka-Kon which is organized by KU Anime. It's the only con I've been to, so I can't compare it to any other. I thought it was fantastically fun though. :)

Welcome!
"I'm pondering the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

-Chris Knight, "Real Genius"
Zared
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:55 am

Thanks for introducing yourself John, and thanks to Decultured for wrangling you over to the forums. I'm like Zared in that my only con experience is Naka-Kon but I'm always intrigued by how different all of the various cons seem to be. Clearly all of your picks seem to be regional but do you have any favorites among them? I can't wait for you to experience Naka-Kon so that we can hear how it rates in comparison.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Logtar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:59 am

Welcome dude... you will remember my name for sure ;)

We actually have some of our viewing meeting at the River Market, not North but close :) the next one is coming up not too long from now and it should be fun :)
Logtar
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Bishie Serge » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:19 pm

I would like to extend welcomes to all of the new folks that I haven't said "hi" to yet.
*ahem* "Hello, (insert name here). Welcome to the Anime Society."

Now that that is out of the way, I hope I can meet you all at a meetup sometime soon. See you around!
Stuff I'm into at the moment: Geeknights, Anime World Order, Nerdy Show ,and baking.
Bishie Serge
Anime Aficionado

Postby kaworu5 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:28 am

Hi John! Welcome Welcome Welcome!

I'd love to hear more about SogenCon. The only info I can get on it is from a post on their forums titled "1000 Epic Fail," so it would be nice to hear from someone less cynical. If you come to the next meeting, I might pick your brain then.

See ya!
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby saratune » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Wow, this thread has been around for a long time! I'm impressed. :)

Anyways, my name is Sara and I'm new. I've been trolling the naka-kon forums the past couple weeks and I found a link to this website in someone's signature. I read through this introduction thread and was thrilled to find anime fans around my age! Seriously, I was starting to think that only teenagers were into anime these days. All of you guys are awesome. I really hope I am able to get to Kansas City to go to some of your events/viewings. My sister, whom has been my anime buddy for the last three years, is moving to California so I am in desperate need of people to talk with about anime!

So now I suppose you all want the "good stuff" about me. I'm 26, living in Lawrence, working for the University. I hold my sister entirely responsible for my obsession with anime. She got me to watch Cowboy Bebop about four years ago, which completely changed my opinion of anime (my only exposure before that being Ranma 1/2 when I was a teenager). Two years ago we caught Full Metal Alchemist on Adult Swim and it was a fast spiral into fanaticism after that. I have since met both Steve Blum and Vic Mignogna at conventions, which was enough to turn me into a blithering fangirl.

I am now an anime snob and prefer to watch most anime subbed. There are very few dubs that I can stand anymore, Bleach and Naruto being some of the most painful. I have high hopes for Death Note this month, though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Some of my favorites include Bleach, Death Note, Saiyuki, Naruto, Ouran High Host Club, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Spiral, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost Stories (the dubbed version, of course :D ), Scrapped Princess, and anything Hayano Miyazaki (Spirited Away being my favorite I think). Also, Ranma 1/2 will always have a special place in my heart (even though I've only seen random episodes and never any in the last season).

I'm currently watching Full Metal Panic because my sister says it's great. I'm not very far but I'm enjoying it. For a full list of anime I've watched and want to watch (and hated) check out my anime panel (the link is in my sig).

I've just recently gotten into reading manga and I have to say that I've totally fallen in love with Full Metal all over again after reading it. My sister has recommended a few that I might try. Any manga (and anime for that matter) suggestions from you are welcomed, as well.

I love going to conventions, and my sister (henceforth called Emily) and I have been two a few. Our very first one was Naka-con back when it was still at the Kansas Union on it's second year. This year we went back to Naka-kon and had an amazing time. We even trekked all the way to Wichita for AFW3 this year. I've never cosplayed, but I'm making plans in my head for Naka-kon 2008.

With all the music involved in anime (namely openings and endings) it was a natural progression into interest in Japanese music. Emily and I are now both avid J-Rock fans. We even went to California this year for J-Rock Revolution in LA. Which was a BLAST by the way. We went mainly for Kagrra, but I fell in love with Miyavi while we were there. I also love The Pillows (mainly the FLCL soundtrack) and Asian Kung Fu Generation to name a few.

Phew! That was a novel. Which makes sense since in addition to anime I also love to read and write. I'm also a bit of a gamer (nothing hardcore though). The most recently beaten game was FFXII which I loved. I'm currently playing Asheron's Call Throne of Destiny online, as well (Harvestgain server if there are any fellow ACers out there).

I am also a HUGE Joss Whedon fan. I own all seven seasons of Buffy, all five seasons of Angel, as well as Firefly and Serenity. Other TV obsessions include Bones, Veronica Mars, and Heroes.

Yes I am a geek.

That's me and my interests in a nutshell. I hope to get to meet some of you in person soon!
saratune
Anime Fan

Postby Zared » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Wow, that was an impressive introduction! Welcome! :)

I nearly hopped out of my seat when I heard Steve Blume at NakaKon 2007. I was silly and didn't look at the schedule before arriving at the convention. Wandered around, got tired, walked into a room to take a seat and there's the voice of Spike filling the room. Happy, happy moment. :)

I hope you'll be able to attend a gathering soon. :)
"I'm pondering the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

-Chris Knight, "Real Genius"
Zared
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Wiggle » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:46 am

Welcome Sara! Always good to see more female fans joining the group. We have a pretty even gender mix, but the ladies have been sorta quiet on the forums lately. Don't worry, there's a lot of us. :)

Hope to see you in person soon!
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby saratune » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 am

Oh Zared, that is hilarious! Aaaaah, the voice of Spike. Yay! Hehe.

Thanks for the welcome, you guys.

:)
saratune
Anime Fan

Shiny new member

Postby RazZadig » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Hey, I'm RazZadig, and I'm addicted to anime. (pause for welcomes).

I go by Raz for short and Becca in RL. Live near and work at KU Med. Been to the Japan Festival a couple times but haven't been to the Naka-kon yet. Anyone want to give their opinion about it?

My family thinks I'm nutso for being so into "cartoons". When my sisters visited last year, I got into trouble for showing Rurouni Kenshin to my 4 year old niece. Hey, I stayed with her and just showed her the early fun parts. How was I supposed to know that when I was gone later, my sister would pop in dvd 2 and freak out my niece. Apparently, she ran screaming into the bathroom after watching 15 minutes of it. So any ideas for anime for my nieces to watch when they come in April would be good. Need to repair the damage. They will be 2 1/2 and 5 1/2.

Tend to binge buy my manga and anime. Has anyone else found that vodka, a credit card and the Internet don't mix? Anyway, like the shounen-ai and yaoi fandoms more than other genres. Keep up with Naruto anime, Saiyuki until Geneon screwed up the dubs (down with dubs!), and catching up to Claymore and Code Geass right now. Do have one friend really into Hellsing and Gantz so have seen all those, too. I'm still in denial that Light is dead. I'm ready for some more Deathnote.

Happy to be here!
RazZadig

Postby Bishie Serge » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:04 am

Welcome, Raz. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time around here. As far as shonen-ai fandom goes, you're in good company in this group.
Also, I really recommend Naka-kon, and not just because I volunteered last year. It looks to be shaping up to be a real great shind-dig this year. Seeing as how you live near KU-Med, you'll be right in the area since it's going to be at the downtown Marriott.

To answer your inquiry, I'd say that you can't go wrong with Kiki's Delivery Service or My Neighbor Totoro for your young nieces. We have a few parents on the board so I hope they can offer up some more ideas.
I'd definitely say not Hellsing, but you know that. :)
Stuff I'm into at the moment: Geeknights, Anime World Order, Nerdy Show ,and baking.
Bishie Serge
Anime Aficionado

Postby Wiggle » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 am

Welcome Raz! I'm Wiggle, I'm the one that saw you on the Yaoi-Con forums and pointed you over here. :) Glad to see you made it! We've got several boys' love fans (I tend to lump yaoi and shounen-ai all together under the boys' love/BL genre since "BL" is quicker to type) here and I continue to encourage more to join the fold as much as I can before I get annoying. :)

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you at an event soon!
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby ForSatori1919 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:27 pm

Hello, my name is Cody. My interests are pretty much all contained within the arts. I'm a lover of film, music, comics/manga, cartoons/anime, and pretty much art in general. I also occasionally make music and the link to that is on my profile. I also attend JCCC.

Some of my favorite directors would be Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, David Lynch, Woody Allen, The Cohen Brothers, Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Wes Anderson, and the list of favorite films is enormous so i'll just keep with that list of directors.

Some music i enjoy is Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Leonard Cohen, Current 93, Fugazi, The Smiths/Morrissey, David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, Wu-Tang Clan, Sigur Ros, Woody Guthrie, Sunn O))), Boris, My Bloody Valentine, Isis, Jesu/Godflesh, Joy Division, Al Green, Scott Walker, Marvin Gaye, T.Rex and too many more to list.

Some comics and manga i enjoy are Lone Wolf & Cub, Sandman, American Splendor, The Walking Dead, Invincible, The Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Sin City, Naoki Urasawa's Pluto, Transmetropolitan, Blade Of The Immortal, and then there's the classics like Batman, Spider-man, and X-Men.

Anime/Cartoons (also including Animated Films) I enjoy are Batman(from the 90's), Futurama, The Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, Avatar:The Last Airbender, Genshiken, Tekkon Kinkreet, Grave Of The Fireflies, Akira, Steamboy, FLCL, Spirited Away, Castle In The Sky, Porco Rosso, and I recently began Mushishi, Elfen Lied, and Planetes.

Sorry for this thing being so long, i tend to get carried away when listing the stuff i like. Anyway, nice to meet you all!
Last edited by ForSatori1919 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForSatori1919

Postby phoenix » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Welcome! Fugazi and Woody Guthrie? I bet you have some interesting playlists :P
phoenix
Le Chevalier D'Anime

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions and Forum News