Introductions [Original Thread]

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Introductions [Original Thread]

Postby Wiggle » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:00 pm

The committee is starting to promote ASK-C around to different places (very low-key here), and we have some new people and a few who haven't made it to a face-to-face meeting yet. So I thought I'd start a thread for people to introduce themselves if they want.

I'll start!

Though I go by Wiggle on the internet, my name is Gretchen and I'm 26. I live in south KC, near State Line and 435, and I work as a web designer/tech for a local medical not-for-profit association. I'm a big fan of yaoi (boy/boy relationships in anime and manga) and any shoujo anime with strong, independent female characters. I have a Macintosh iBook. I drive a VW Beetle. I'm not straight but I'm not exactly gay either, I am single, I have no kids or pets. I have a lot of plants, though. I'm a writer and a reader, a music lover, a hope-er, a pray-er AND a magic bean buy-er.

Pleased to meet you!
Last edited by Wiggle on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby Zared » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:49 pm

Hi Gretchen, nice to meet you :)

Ok, I'll go next. On the net, I go by either Zared, Icene or Boadecia depending on my mood. My RL name is Biancka and I've lived in KC for about 9 years on and off. I'm a navy brat, so I've lived all over the world and tend to have a very open mind. I live in a historical district of KC called Union Hill and work at UMKC as a Supervisor of Instructional Computing Facilities.

I'm a big fan of the 'magic-girl' anime series, and have little love for mecha. My favorite animes are Nadesico, Furuba, Vision of Escaflowne, Ranma 1/2 (despite its' lack of an ending!!!), Hellsing and Boogiepop Phantom.

I am single with no children and 1 cat named Krishna. I have no roommates (I hate to compromise) and enjoy spending time with cool people. I'm a part-time writer, read voraciously, dance whenever I have an opportunity and love to play strategy games. :)

That's me in a nutshell.
Zared
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ThatGuy » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:22 pm

ThatGuy.

I run DDRKC.

Used to be President of an Anime club at college.

Started an Anime con.

I need to go through my ~300 fansubs and get rid of stuff that I've bought on DVD.

Also need to get rid of my LD player and discs...

I go to a few cons each year, although work has been annoying me this year by not allowing as many trips as I'd like.

I'm well out of the cutting edge of anime that I used to be on, but I've got friends who keep up with it, so it's okay.
ThatGuy
Anime Fan

Postby phoenix » Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:32 pm

Hello, I'm Jennifer. I'm 31, married with no children but I have a wonderful german shepard named Abbot. I am a dispatcher and generally work a midnight shift with the occasional stint on evenings.

As for anime...I can't pinpoint any one genre I favor over another. As Kat said, my tastes are eclectic. I have only been watching anime for about 2 years so I guess I am the forum newbie.

I am currently watching Kaze no Yojimbo, Dear Boys and RahXephon and look forward to getting some showings organized so I can view and learn more about many of the other series everyone around here watches.
phoenix
Le Chevalier D'Anime

hello

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:24 pm

Hi, Im Jeff. Im 27, have a daughter and would love to have a dog :(

I am currently in merchandising but always on the outlook for something new and better.

I enjoy almost all anime and dont have a specific favorite but I am thoroughly enjoying GTO right now. I have been into anime for about 10 years but just started actually building my own collection about 3 years ago.

i love to chat with people and am always looking to meet new people so dont be afraid to say hi.

:D
Spider Jerusalem
Anime Enthusiast

Postby nekochan » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:36 pm

Hi, my name is Kat, and I'm an otaku. ;) I'm 24, live north of the River near Worlds of Fun (but am currently looking to better that situation). Single, unmarried, no kids, live with a dog but adore cats, straight with some bends. I have over 125 manga lying around my house, and I don't want to count the number of CDRs of fansubs. Actual DVD releases number somewhere between 30 and 40 because my money's been going to manga lately :) I'm a fan of just about anything anime-wise, though magical girl stuff is kind of squirmy with me and some of the hardcore mecha stuff I can't get into. Yaoi is wondermous. Some of my favorite series are Ranma, Lain, Noir, Chobits, X, Love Hina, DNAngel, Haibane Renmei, Gravitation, Haunted Junction, Kare Kano, anything Ghibli puts their hands to, Witch Hunter Robin, Zetsuai.. I'd go on, but don't want to babble too long. :)

I'm always looking for people to force new series upon, or just to watch stuff with. I'm generally known as the Anime Pimp in my group of friends, simply because I've always got a new one for someone to try. Or maybe it should be the Anime Pusher. But at any rate.. that's me. Woot. :)
nekochan
Anime Fan

^__^

Postby jehzavere » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:47 am

Hello! My name is Jessica, on the internet I go under jehz or jehzavere. I'm 20 and I live way in the boonies at Stilwell. I'm the really shy one in the group. No kids, but I have a dog, a cat, and the pet gamer that I'm dating *evil grin* I'm a student at JCCC and have a part time job at a toystore.

I'm more into manga than anime, but I love both. I like most genres, although my favorites are shoujo, shounen-ai, yaoi, and fantasy. Due to a friend's influence, I also am obsessed with some Korean manga as well. I love anything by CLAMP and desire to get my hands on Lawful Drug or thier new Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.
I love to read and write, do original artwork and fanart (some include doujinshi related work), DDR, play video games, listen to odd music that no one else likes, sleep...and probably anything else really dorky that you can think of.

*goes back into hiding again* ^__~
~*Jehzavere*~
www.feystudios.com
jehzavere
Anime Fan

Postby kenshin138 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:08 am

Hmm...pet gamer eh? :evil:

Anyway, my name is Ryan. I am 24 and live on 119th and 69hwy in OP. I have lived in KC since 97. I am dating a dorky anime girl (points finger at Jehzavere) and have no kids. I have two cats, both female; one is named Onyx who is about 4 and pretty much hates anybody except for me, the other is my spaz cat named Ed, she likes to climb and be annoying.

As far as anime, I like a lot of different stuff. My main love is for anything really techie, or very fantasy. I love Ghost in the Shell, Esclaflowne, Lodoss War, Kenshin, Trigun, Ah My Goddess, Kare Kano, Eva, and Initial D. I dont read much manga, but like it a great deal. What I do own in manga is mostly Shirow stuff (GitS, GitS2, Appleseed, etc.)

I play Warhammer 40K (www.games-workshop.com for more info) and have been featured in White Dwarf magazine for some painting work. I help moderate at severa large web forums for the hobby. I have been playing since I was 12 and consider this my chief hobby.... I also play other games, used to RPG and play Magic a lot. I dont play much in the way of computer games. Hmm..I love cars (all types) and own a mildly fixed up 2003 Toyota Matrix.

I love music, and have a very large collection of CD's and MP3. I tend toward: punk, hardcore, ska, industrial, metal, techno, 80's, oldies...or really anything except for country (Johnny Cash aside). I can't play or sing, but have always loved music. I am also straightedge (ie: dont smoke/drink/do drugs). Like many it seems, I am into computers and work as a technician for a local teleconferencing company.

Personality wise..I am pretty blunt and to the point. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor and expect people to have pretty thick skin when it comes to teasing and whatnot. I don't offend/anger easily, and sometimes get in trouble because I assume that in others. :) Consider myself pretty outgoing and I tend to talk alot (hence this damn novel of a post)....

Thats about it....pretty dorky I know.
kenshin138
Anime Aficionado

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:44 am

kenshin138 wrote:Hmm...pet gamer eh? :evil:

Personality wise..I am pretty blunt and to the point. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor and expect people to have pretty thick skin when it comes to teasing and whatnot. I don't offend/anger easily, and sometimes get in trouble because I assume that in others. :) Consider myself pretty outgoing and I tend to talk alot (hence this damn novel of a post)....

Thats about it....pretty dorky I know.

So true. :wink:

BUt that is what makes you so fun. :D
Spider Jerusalem
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Zared » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:18 pm

kenshin138 wrote:I don't offend/anger easily, and sometimes get in trouble because I assume that in others.

Ok, well that explains it. Sorry! :oops:

-Ms. Sensitive
Zared
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tenchi-kun » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:48 pm

hrmmm...let's see. My name's Josh, but I go by Tenchi-kun online. The reason I've stuck to that name, was because of my first few forays into chat rooms, mainly anime ones, and I had a character in a FFRP (free-form roleplaying) chat room loosely based on Tenchi Masaki. To make a long story short, it's what everyone I know online has known me as, so it seemed a good name to use around here. I'm pretty much an easy-going guy, who can be fiercely protective of his family and friends. I've been told that I'm very extroverted and easy to get to know. I enjoy hanging out with friends(which is a hard proposition with a young child), and I do enjoy the occasional alcoholic beverage, or sometimes more than occasional. :P

I am currently married, with one son who is 2 and a half (born 01/01/01) and another on the way. If I make it to the next meetup, you'll have to ask about the story that surrounds the day of my son's birth. It's kinda funny, in a twisted way. Lived in JoCo (currently at 69 highway and 95th Street) pretty much all of the nearly 25 years of my life, but might be leaving the area soon (another long story that has been documented on my livejournal, which you can find here). I also have two cats who are currently the bane of my existance, as they always want attention from me when I get home from work.

Anime/manga wise, I don't think I could narrow down one genre that I enjoy more than another. Current fansub favs are D.N.Angel, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Airmaster, Stellvia of the Universe, and E's Otherwise. Currently watching on DVD: .hack//sign, FMP, King of Bandits Jing, Chobits, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Mahoromatic, of which the last 5 I've already seen the fansubs of the different series. I'm slowly but surely getting my wife hooked on anime. When we first met 5 years ago, she refused to watch anime, but I started her out slowly with the first Tenchi move, then got her hooked on Escaflowne (which we watched all 26 eps in one sitting), and now she's currently into watching Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, Love Hina, Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, and Mahoromatic. Good thing about the Newtype USA magazine now (which I read religiously), is that each issue comes with a sampler dvd, and I've gotten her to sit down and watch King of Bandits Jing and FMP with me, and she wants to start watching those. I think my current fansub collection is up to about 400 cdrs filled with anime, and about 125GB of space on my hard drive. I've probably got in the neighborhood of 100 manga graphic novels, the large majority of which I've read (/me pokes Tokyopop to release the D.N.Angel manga sooner than next year :P).

I currently work for a software company that develops multiple listing software for real estate use and contact management software for real estate agents as a support technician. Not the best job in the world, but much better than things I've done in the past, and since the majority of our software is all internet based, we do have full internet access at work, so I spend the vast majority of my day reading about anime/sci-fi stuff. I suppose I could be classified as a computer nerd (Hell, I'm even a member of kcgeek), but I've always been like that, so I don't mind it. My current rig is a custom built one (screw Dell and Gateway!). I do enjoy working on cars, sometimes, when I have to. My wife thinks that I am a pretty damn good cook, but I think she just says that because I'm the only one that really does the cooking around here. (Although, I almost chose going to culinary school, rather than going to UMR for computer science)

I am also currently the administrator of a FFRP website/forum based upon the chatroom that I used to participate in a few years ago. (long story behind that as well) I've been enjoying the whole process of being the admin of the site, and now that we've moved web hosting companies (to one more my liking, as I was not the one who chose the intial web hosting company), I'll be able to get into more php progamming and such.

Music wise, I like a pretty eclectic variety of music (everything from 80's music to classical to new age to heavy metal), but the majority of my music listening right now is done with jpop and anime soundtracks. This September, my wife and I are making the trek down to Pittsburg, KS. to see one of our favorite bands Rockapella. They are the group who sang the theme song to the tv show that used to be on PBS called "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?". Every Friday morning, however, I do listen to 80's music, as a good way to start off the last day of the workweek.

I think that's pretty much me in a nutshell, and if I end up doing much more, it'll probably end up being a novel. :P
Ye olde Twitter
Facebook - mention ASK-C in the friend request, should you send one. :P
Tenchi-kun
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tenchi-kun » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:53 pm

kenshin138 wrote:(hence this damn novel of a post)....

pshaw! it's nothing compared to mine. :P
Ye olde Twitter
Facebook - mention ASK-C in the friend request, should you send one. :P
Tenchi-kun
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby EvilTekno » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:47 pm

My turn

I'm colin, aka EvilTekno. I used to go by TeknoPez, but that was when i was a candy kid going to raves, one day, i became jaded, and evolved, and realized the true wonders that is EVIL :).
I'm 23 and currently living in Leavenworth, so don't xpt me to show up at any the meetups, sorrry.
My favorite's in anime include Evangelion, Boogiepop, Lain, Wolf's Rain, Rahxephon, and Noir.
to be able to afford my expensive anime addicition, i work for a company called Spectrum Heathcare where i sit around for 8 hours in a tiny room, and enter medical records into a computer. It's lazy work, but can be tedious and lead to ourbursts of chaos and mass insanity, luckily, there have been no fatalities in my workplace because of this....yet.
Other then that, I sit around and play on my computer, play video games, and work on fruitless waste of time hobbies like make anime wallpapers, or work on deathmatch maps for half-life. Yes, I know I'm a geek, but i know that one day I will rule the world, i shall crush anyone who made fun of me or think country music is good stuff.
Hmmm....country music genocide.....heheh

um..
anyway...yea....

that's me, please direct all complaints, outrage, and utter dispise to me at eviltekno@excite.com, i would give out my snail mail, but after that last incident with the letter bomb and ms. fredrick's poodle, not a pretty picture. Also, you can alsways hit me up on AIM as EvilTekno, and u know we can talk, like policitcs, anime, or the fact i'm a terrible speller (don't really care tho.)

And that's it for me, farewell
~ EvilTekno ~
OmniReality Inc.
FFXI - Diabolos Server - Tekno
EvilTekno
Anime Fan

Postby Hida Man » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:23 pm

To hell with Goku, I know Vegeta could beat a Blue Eyes White Dragon! *stomps foot on the ground* ^_^

Hi, I'm your friendly neighborhood Hida Man, better known as Dan. (Though for a while there, some of my friends called me Hida Man in real life, to avoid confusing me with another Dan they'd known longer.) I'll try to keep my intro short, since I already did a pretty long one back when I joined the Yahoo group. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kcanime/message/95 if my recap isn't good enough for you. ^_^ )

So yeah, I'm the resident DDR pusher. I've got all of the Soundtracks (at least for all of the main mixes, I don't have the Disney or Solo re-mix stuff) so I'm the person to come to with blank CDs if you need a fix.

As far as anime/manga go... Love Hina has taken over as my favorite series. It doesn't help any that I relate so well to the main character. I'm also one of the people who believes that Excel Saga is a work of comedic genious. (Even if they did change Excel's voice halfway through the series to a voice I don't like.) I'm also a DBZ fan (Vegeta is the man), I like giant mecha, and pirates are cooler than ninja. That is all... for now. ^_^
Hida Man

Next

Return to Introductions and Forum News