Greetings

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Greetings

Postby SuicideRun » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey all,

I'm Jason, I actually stumbled upon this message board while looking for some sort of anime/manga shop in the KC area beyond the large chain stores and the top lead was a thread on this forum (its actually further down in the introduction area but was last posted in 2007).

I was wondering if anything had changed in that front in 3 years, I haven't been around here enough to know what all is in KC but it would be nice if some store had opened since 2007.

I haven't really been into anime all that long. I scoffed at anime for a long time probably because deep down I knew I'd be a hopeless addict if I watched any... should have trusted my instincts because hopeless addict was exactly right. Don't really have any friends or family who share the addiction though, so if I can find people who know more than I do that can make suggestions, that would be amazing.

About my actual tastes, I pretty much like most anything, but some of my favorites are Full Metal Panic, Fate/Stay Night, Trinity Blood, Haruhi Suzumiya, Welcome to the NHK, Last Exile, and I could go on forever but lets just say it can be mindless or make me laugh, or it can have a good story (or both) and I'll enjoy it.
SuicideRun

Postby Aldric » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Welcome to the forum Jason!

Depends what you're looking for in your anime shops I guess. If you're just looking for shows the big boxes or online is the only way to go.

For the more esoteric the best thing around is Asylum Anime down in Pittsburg (~110 miles) but they're mostly convention so it's more of a by appointment kind of place now.

On the plus side there are are two conventions in KC now, one in Oct (Motaku) and Naka-kon in the Feb-Mar timeframe. So you just need to plan the anime binges more carefully and let the stores come to you :)
Ben in real life
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:46 am

Hey there Jason. Welcome! I've heard a lot of stories about how people got into anime but yours is rather unqiue. Probably the most common theme is "love at first sight" but perhaps your allusion is correct in that it likely was some semblance of that but you tried to resist it.

Well I'm glad you finally indulged because, fair or not, I tend to have a higher opinion of anime fans as credible people than I do of those who dismiss it. Cheers!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Welcome Jason!

I find it funny that newcomers come and say, "yeah, I'm sort of new to anime I guess" then they list some obscure stuff that sometimes I've never heard of. :P

It's not that your list is uncommon but I would imagine most newcomers are into Naruto, Bleach, etc.

The anime market is sort of changing in the last decade. I usually just use Right Stuf (online) or Best Buy. For manga, Borders has a nice selection. So I'm not sure you will find a purely anime related store in KC, though we used to have MoIikai (sp?).
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby EveryNameTaken » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Hey Jason! Welcome to the boards! Hopefully you can come to one of our meetups!
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby SuicideRun » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:01 pm

EveryNameTaken wrote:Hey Jason! Welcome to the boards! Hopefully you can come to one of our meetups!

I will check back regularly to try and make a meet up.
SuicideRun

Return to Introductions and Forum News