Your forum has been Kitschensyngk'd!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Your forum has been Kitschensyngk'd!

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Okay, intro time!

My real name is Adam and I am a Lawrence resident. I've been a member of the KU Anime Club for four years, and since I'm graduating (English-Creative Writing) I thought I'd try this group out. (I might already know a couple of you from the KU club, actually.)

Favorite author: Roald Dahl, Douglas Adams

Favorite anime: *checks collection* .hack//SIGN, AzuDai, Cowboy Bebop, Kino's Journey, Abenobashi, Outlaw Star, Paniponi Dash, Samurai 7, Tenchi, Vandread, Witch Hunter Robin, Witchblade.

Favorite manga: Right now I'm into xxxHOLiC and Yotsuba&!.

Hobbies: drawing (I have a pair of comic ideas I'm itching to get started on, and I also have a deviantArt page if you want to look at my crappier work), crossword puzzles, making pretty things with Photoshop

I would like to get out and go to some club activities. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Welcome K! (I nearly broke my fingers trying to type your name so I'm simplifying for self-preservation.) Your favorite anime series is comprised of some pretty well respected series. The only one I haven't seen [yet] and can comment on is Abenobashi but the fact that it shares space with such a solid list of titles means I should check it out.

Which Yotsuba&! are you reading? Did you start out with the ADV version or did you start (or even re-start) with the Yen Press version? Yet another property I've been thinking about checking out.

I checked out some of your DeviantArt pics. I'm not particularly qualified to say either way but by they look pretty good to me. If that's your "crappier" stuff then I'd be curious to see what you're new stuff looks like.

I'm glad you found us in the vastness of the interwebs. It'll be great to meet you at whatever meetup we see one another at next.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: Your forum has been Kitschensyngk'd!

Postby EveryNameTaken » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Didn't anyone ever tell you that you're supposed to not mention your favorites so that people can have something to ask you in your intro post? And what's up with that confidence? How can you just stroll in here like you're a fan with some self-esteem? Shame, shame on you and your family!

Other than that, welcome to the boards. :P Also, that is an excellent name.
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:Welcome K! (I nearly broke my fingers trying to type your name so I'm simplifying for self-preservation.) Your favorite anime series is comprised of some pretty well respected series. The only one I haven't seen [yet] and can comment on is Abenobashi but the fact that it shares space with such a solid list of titles means I should check it out.

Abenobashi is one of those "hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold" type shows--strip away all the eye candy and you actually get a well-written plot out of it, in this case a coming-of-age story between two best friends.

Not that the eye candy is a distraction, mind you--episode twelve is deliciously crazy.

Definitely a series worth checking out.

Which Yotsuba&! are you reading? Did you start out with the ADV version or did you start (or even re-start) with the Yen Press version? Yet another property I've been thinking about checking out.

I have six volumes, the first five of which are ADV's. I'm not considering selling them to get the Yen Press versions because I'm not sure I'd get much back for them.

I also have ADV's Azumanga Daioh omnibus edition, so I guess you could say I'm kind of a fan of Kiyohiko Azuma.

I checked out some of your DeviantArt pics. I'm not particularly qualified to say either way but by they look pretty good to me. If that's your "crappier" stuff then I'd be curious to see what you're new stuff looks like.

Thanks for the compliment.

The earlier you go back in my gallery, the crappier the drawings are. (Something all artists go through, I'm assured.) I have some other character art on my laptop I've been lingering on for a while, and I'll get those up at earliest convenience.

EveryNameTaken wrote:Didn't anyone ever tell you that you're supposed to not mention your favorites so that people can have something to ask you in your intro post? And what's up with that confidence? How can you just stroll in here like you're a fan with some self-esteem? Shame, shame on you and your family!

Those are just the ones I OWN. And I haven't even listed any movies or OVAs...
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ca_jas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:46 am

Yotsuba is also one of my favorites lately. I decided to scrap the adv versions for the yen press which I think are higher quality on many levels. You graduated in creative writing right? I have heard many anime fans doing this and never doing anything with their degree or they sit around and do fanfics all the time. That's such a waste! I hope you can fulfill your storie ideas somehow.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kitschensyngk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:30 pm

ca_jas wrote:Yotsuba is also one of my favorites lately. I decided to scrap the adv versions for the yen press which I think are higher quality on many levels. You graduated in creative writing right? I have heard many anime fans doing this and never doing anything with their degree or they sit around and do fanfics all the time. That's such a waste! I hope you can fulfill your storie ideas somehow.

You may rest assured that I don't write fan fiction.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Luigi182 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Welcome K'! I kinda figured out you were aiming fro Kitchensink? lol I think I'll follow T3k's model and just go for K'--- Kinda reminds me of KoF, kinda cool.

Your a fan of Tenchi? What did you think of GXP? That particular series just kind of lost me...

Abenobashi is another series I want to finish. Only seen up to disc 2. Ms. Mune-Mune? Much fun to be had by all.... :D

Looking forward to seeing you at one of the next meetups!
"May the way of the hero lead to the Triforce."--Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
--==Luigi182==--
It's time for a revolution!
--==end transmission==--
Luigi182
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kitschensyngk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Luigi182 wrote:Your a fan of Tenchi? What did you think of GXP? That particular series just kind of lost me...

Sadly, I haven't seen GXP.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 am

We started GXP. Never finished it either.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby RyuNacho » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 pm

I liked GXP. Not as good as the original Tenchi stuff, but still entertaining. Also, welcome K! Though, I'm not sure how much place I have saying that, also being new.
I am not sure how clouds get formed. But the clouds know how to do it, and that is the important thing.
-Some kid
RyuNacho
Anime Fan

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 pm

The more the merrier on welcome threads...or any threads for that matter. ;-)
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Luigi182 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Kitschensyngk wrote:
Luigi182 wrote:Your a fan of Tenchi? What did you think of GXP? That particular series just kind of lost me...

Sadly, I haven't seen GXP.

bakamatt wrote:We started GXP. Never finished it either.

Hmm... then I suppose a lot of Tenchi fans got put off by it. Here I was thinking I was a minority.
"May the way of the hero lead to the Triforce."--Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
--==Luigi182==--
--==end transmission==--
Luigi182
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 pm

I thought Tenchi in Tokyo was the truly reviled one whereas GXP was merely the mediocre but not offensively bad child of the franchise.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Luigi182 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:I thought Tenchi in Tokyo was the truly reviled one whereas GXP was merely the mediocre but not offensively bad child of the franchise.

Oddly enough, Tenchi in Tokyo is where I got my start in Tenchi and interest in anime altogether. From there, I got the OVA series and then Tenchi Universe collection(the best series). From that point, I got the Martian Successor Nadesico series after a suggestion from a friend of mine and then Love Hina entered into my collection dues a similar suggestion. Needless to say, I got hooked.

It's really too bad Nadesico didn't have another series, I've always been keeping up hope....

Tenchi in Tokyo has a certain place in my heart. Tenchi Forever is where things got really weird for me and then the first disc of GXP kinda made me lose hope for the series after that...
--==Luigi182==--
--==end transmission==--
Luigi182
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:32 pm

You and me both. I'd be thrilled if they did a continuation of Nadesico.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introductions and Forum News