If someone is reading this I must have failed...

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

If someone is reading this I must have failed...

Postby Luigi182 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Hello there fellow ASK-C er's!

I recently rediscovered these forums after finally logging into and old e-mail from ages ago. I haven't been to these forums in such a long time. This place looks very different now. Wow! Just Wow! Nice improvements.

For those who don't know me I'm Vincent, but most just call me Vince. I've been a fan of video games, anime, geek stuff, etc. for a long time. I guess one could say I've been a member of these forums since their inception and at one point I was a committee member. However, due to the events in my life, I wound up having to step down (can't remember if it was any kind of an official resignation or a forced deal due to lack of attendance).

I also want to apologize for any bad feelings here as I recall some controversy with this group before I left. Maybe they were there or perhaps they were just projections of my own insecurities. In any event, I'm sorry.

Some may remember my wedding thread I posted up back in 2007. Jennie and I are still happily married. :) And then we fell on harsh financial times. :( A severe lack of funding has prevented me from enjoying my anime habit and I was forced to make a choice in my hobbies... sadly anime fell to the wayside and well, so did a lot of things.

However, slowly things are starting to look up. I'm still broker than broke, and probably won't be able to contribute as much as I once did. I'm still first and foremost an avid gamer and recently have picked up playing Street Fighter 4 competitively. I'd like to start watching anime again and possibly play catch-up/meet with rest of you. If I recall, I also remember this group being very loose as far gatherings go-- meaning that they are not all anime centric. I've always enjoyed the flexibility of this group because of that.

I'll try to make it to the next meet-up if my schedule permits. Do you guys still meet at Minsky's once a month like in the past? Where did all the old regulars go? How have things been these past 2 1/2 years? Inquiring minds want to know... lol

P.S. If anyone can guess where the line in the topic came from, then kudos to you! :D I've always enjoyed that game.
"May the way of the hero lead to the Triforce."--Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
--==Luigi182==--
It's time for a revolution!
--==end transmission==--
Luigi182
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:12 am

Hey there Luigi182! IIRC you were still on for a while when I first joined up. It's awesome to hear that you're wanting to get back into things. Your memory of our sporadic meetups serves you well; we're still on the same "schedule". We've only done a few Minsky's meetups since Zared left (her awesome organizational skills are still sorely missed) but we still manage to gather on occasion.

Chickypop and RickDT have been hosting pretty regular meetings for a couple of months now and I'm overdue for a Sakura Diaries event to finish up what several of us started after the J-Fest. And, of course, I think everyone looks forward to Scott's bashes a couple of times a year.

I'm not sure what on the site has changed since your last visit but I had planned this month to upgrade it to a much more modern version of phpBB. Unfortunately the hosting site I was considering doubled their rates so I need to wait for a special or shop for another host. Then you'll see some changes!

Anyway, I'm glad times have been kinder to you. It'll be great to see you at the gatherings as it's seems the old adage "the more the merrier" couldn't be more true with this crowd. We've definitely got people who are more than capable of getting you up to speed on the last quarter-decade's worth of anime goodness.

Welcome back!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:10 am

There are some hard times out here, no question. My recent purchase of Genshiken 2 2 and Eva 1.0 represented my biggest anime outlay in months.

Don't feel like there's some "minimum" level of activity required, Vince. It'll be good to see whatever you've got to say, whenever.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:24 pm

Hellooo Vince!

I remember a snowy December meet up at Wiggle's new condo on the Plaza. I was new to anime & ASK-C & ran into you there. You were very sociable to a newbie, & I felt right at home in part to that.

It is good to hear from you again!

As T3k sez, regular meet ups have fallen by the wayside but it is common to get together at each others house. The Northland seems alive with anime fans so check it out.

Now should you decide to be the organizer get a sudden gathering going at Minsky's... I guarantee I'd be there!
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:56 am

Minsky's. <heavy sigh> Somebody send me some!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:55 am

Welcome back Vince. It's funny I had just asked not long ago about what happened to all the original people that seemed to have just disappeared (I am pretty oblivious to most drama going on around me most times). It's good to have you back. I don't know that we really have a committee anymore, the group is kind of less structured, which is just fine by me. We don't need no stinkin committees :twisted:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Epic post of Doom?

Postby Luigi182 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:07 am

Tsunami3k wrote:Hey there Luigi182! IIRC you were still on for a while when I first joined up. It's awesome to hear that you're wanting to get back into things. Your memory of our sporadic meetups serves you well; we're still on the same "schedule". We've only done a few Minsky's meetups since Zared left (her awesome organizational skills are still sorely missed) but we still manage to gather on occasion.

Cool, my apologies if I don't ever remember meeting you. It is a shame that the few people I do remember from this group haven't been around in a while. :(

Chickypop and RickDT have been hosting pretty regular meetings for a couple of months now and I'm overdue for a Sakura Diaries event to finish up what several of us started after the J-Fest. And, of course, I think everyone looks forward to Scott's bashes a couple of times a year.

Yeah, I missed this past Wednesday's meetup, and if memory serves me correctly, Kokon Tozai=Scott? I've been to a few of his earlier bashes, much fun to be had by all!

I'm not sure what on the site has changed since your last visit but I had planned this month to upgrade it to a much more modern version of phpBB. Unfortunately the hosting site I was considering doubled their rates so I need to wait for a special or shop for another host. Then you'll see some changes!

Yeah, we used run on Vbulletin? But that got changed when noone could find SpiderJerusalem... Hmmm

Anyway, I'm glad times have been kinder to you. It'll be great to see you at the gatherings as it's seems the old adage "the more the merrier" couldn't be more true with this crowd. We've definitely got people who are more than capable of getting you up to speed on the last quarter-decade's worth of anime goodness.

Welcome back!

Thanks for the hearty welcome. My friend circle has shrunk exponentially in recent times, if that makes sense. Funny how a harsh economy forces people to migrate in search of gainful employment. :( But sometimes it's for the better.

bakamatt wrote:There are some hard times out here, no question. My recent purchase of Genshiken 2 2 and Eva 1.0 represented my biggest anime outlay in months.

Wow, now I don't feel quite so bad then. My last anime purchase was Disc 1 of Galaxy Angel 2 years ago. Yeah, I really hate being forced to choose between my hobbies. Somehow, buying a new game or gaming peripheral always wins. I have so many incomplete anime series in my collection, it's just downright pathetic...

Don't feel like there's some "minimum" level of activity required, Vince. It'll be good to see whatever you've got to say, whenever.

Good, I suppose my own insecurities got the better of me. Btw, didn't you move out to Lawrence? How is that going for ya? Hope you and Rita are well. Sorry we never got to hangout while you were still in town. I was really looking forward to it.

Kokon Tozai wrote:Hellooo Vince!

I remember a snowy December meet up at Wiggle's new condo on the Plaza. I was new to anime & ASK-C & ran into you there. You were very sociable to a newbie, & I felt right at home in part to that.

It is good to hear from you again!

Why thank you! :) Jennie has always said that I'm somewhat a social chameleon. It's probably the one thing I've learned from my experiences with ASK-C.

As T3k sez, regular meet ups have fallen by the wayside but it is common to get together at each others house. The Northland seems alive with anime fans so check it out.

Now should you decide to be the organizer get a sudden gathering going at Minsky's... I guarantee I'd be there!

Thank you for the vote of confidence. However, I'm a bit more partial to the idea of meeting at people's houses these days as opposed to public spaces. Less overhead, so to speak. While I don't want to compete with people's regular schedules, I may host something (a gaming/anime pot-luck party perhaps?) at our apartment in the future, (might be more distant than near, mind you) once I get the proper equipment together.

bakamatt wrote:Minsky's. <heavy sigh> Somebody send me some!

To be completely honest, I was never a big fan of their pizza. IMHO, they just had a convenient space for us view stuff. Being the lone silent dissenter, I was just that. Didn't want to stir up the pot, so to speak. And being somewhat new to the group back then, I felt it best to try and avoid controversy. I never understood the strange fear people had way back when of hosting meet-ups at their homes. However, it seems as though people have overcome that fear. Thank goodness for that.

Zeroryoko1974 wrote:Welcome back Vince. It's funny I had just asked not long ago about what happened to all the original people that seemed to have just disappeared (I am pretty oblivious to most drama going on around me most times). It's good to have you back. I don't know that we really have a committee anymore, the group is kind of less structured, which is just fine by me. We don't need no stinkin committees

Thanks! You know, Jennie and I were talking about that last week and perhaps you're right about the committee comment. Not to detract from anyone's hard work or organizational skills, but it just seemed that volunteering one's space or services or skills was frowned upon until the committee approved of it which seemed to take forever for anyone to recognize, much less agree upon. Oddly enough, just typing that makes me fear a certain level of controversy will arise. But, as I was told back in my early days of being in the committee, I was somewhat selected to be in the committee for just that, having my contrary opinions.

Wow! Another short novella...O_o lol
"May the way of the hero lead to the Triforce."--Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
--==Luigi182==--
--==end transmission==--
Luigi182
Anime Connoisseur

Re: Epic post of Doom?

Postby bakamatt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Luigi182 wrote:didn't you move out to Lawrence?

We were always in Lawrence, or Tonganoxie. But we've been in southwest Florida for the last eighteen months. I got laid off, decided I didn't want to bring my IT skills up to date, and am down here training health tech stuff instead.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Luigi182 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Oh right... I do remember the layoff and hte need for a move but I never imagined you'd wind up in Florida. Sounds like things are working out for you though. And I must say it is rather cool of you to keep posting here. :)
--==Luigi182==--
--==end transmission==--
Luigi182
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:50 pm

That's just how Matt rolls. He's a hell of a guy.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Introductions and Forum News