First-Second Time Here

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

First-Second Time Here

Postby Nekaru » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:40 am

Hello everyone.

I'm a KC native (been here all my life) who got into Anime back in college and has been a fan ever since. I got started on Lodoss War and Vampire Hunter D, and then branched off into Tenchi Myuo! and Ranma1/2. (Yes, I'm old. *chuckle* I still remeber the day when you'd buy one episode on VHS for $30 and like it.)

I actually joined up with ASK-C back in 2003, but didn't keep up at the time because my interest was waning, but over the years it's picked back up. Right now a group of friends and I are watching anime together and it's rekindeled the spark.

Recent shows I've watched are Last Exile, Coyote Ragtime Show and Bakano! (Claymore, Black Lagoon and Wolf's Rain are on tap to be watched soon.)

I'm happy that Funimation got Spice and Wolf as well as Soul Eater, but I can't say I'm happy about the voices they've picked for Soul Eater. I always listen to the dub first and only really switch to subs if I don't like the voices. (Soul Eater will be a sub for me.)

My favorite series are hard to pick, as I've always liked Tenchi (due to it being one of the first series I picked up), huge fan of Cowboy Bebop. I'd also toss Slayers, Evagelion, El Hazard, One Piece and Outlaw Star in the mix.

I've been going to Akon almost every year since 98, and try to hit other cons when I can. (Have been to ACen, Otakon and AWA once each.)

I like cosplay and have been doing it for many years. Characters I've done (The list is long 'cause I try to make at least one costume a year and have been doing this since 98 ):
Tenchi - Tenshi Myuo!
Nakago - Fushigi Yugi
Ranma - Ranma 1/2
Fujisawa - El Hazard
Irvine Kinneas - FFVIII
Zidane - FFIX
Kou - The Bouncer
Spike - Cowboy Bebop
Gendo Ikari - Evangelion
Shikamaru - Naruto
Jin - Samurai Champloo
Shunsui - Bleach
Mia - .//hack
Luzaf - FFXI
Clothcraft Guild - FFXI
Archer - Fate/Stay Night
Shirou - Fate/Stay Night
Am going to work on a Vincent Law (Ergo Proxy) cosplay for Akon 2010.

I joined up with this group to try to meet new people who were into Anime and stay up to date with local conventions and happenings.
Nekaru

Postby bakamatt » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Welcome and thanks for posting.

I'm nearly done with a Last Exile re-watch myself. I'm thinking I may have not done it justice the first time.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Aldric » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Welcome back!

That is certainly an extremely expansive cosplay list. I'm always impressed with male cosplayers that make the extra effort to do something different than just naruto and (standard)bleach characters.

Your recent anime watch list looks like you have some really good stuff coming up. Black Lagoon is one of my personal favorites and on top of that it lends itself very well to group watching. Are these shows that you watch to fill in time or are they the ones that you watch with the group you mentioned in the paragraph preceding that one?

We have a (mostly) weekly watch night for some of us up in the northland and we just finished up Coyote Ragtime Show. The ending was a bit flat but it certainly made for a good time watching with a group.
Ben in real life
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 am

Hi there Nekaru. Man you've got a hell of a lineup of shows in your queue. That's an impressive list of cosplay character's you've played. So have you been to Naka-Kon? Maybe I've seen you. Anyway, it's great to see a veteran anime fan join the ranks, particularly the rare soul who has hit the con circuit for quite some time.

If you have a chance, you may very well have some valuable information that could be applicable on a new thread that started recently asking about cons outside of our local offerings. I'd definitely value your input as to what the strengths and weaknesses of some of the bigger cons are.

Welcome to the forums!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby EveryNameTaken » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 am

Hey Nekaru! Now is a good time to get back into anime, since DVD collections are very cheap and you have a lot of anime available streaming, legally, for free. There's so many options it's actually kind of overwhelming!
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby Nekaru » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies.

As for Last Exile, the only thing that I didn't like was the english voice actors were ones that I feel like I hear over and over again. They did a great job, so I didn't have a problem with the voices themselves, it just seems I hear the same people in a lot of things.

As for watching Anime. I watch both to fill time and with friends. (Although right now I've slacked on the fill time since I've been watching football on the weekends. *chuckle*) And our group has moved to watching anime movies til the end of the year on Thursday nights. (It's kinda fun to rewatch old stuff, I think I'm going to suggest one of the Ranma movies for one week. *grin*)

We made so much fun of Coyote Ragtime show I think I had more fun laughing at our comments over the show itself. And I'm not sure I'd want to store my money in a Rubik's Cube. *chuckle*

I need to look into the streaming anime's more. That's something I'm still not used to. Although the one time I checked out Funi's site was to see what I could on One Piece, and then after realizing if I started there I would still be 300 episodes behind, I stopped.

And yes, I've been to Naka-con a couple of times. The first time was when a friend of mine had an artist table there, and I was dressed as Shunshi. And the other time was the year Steven Blum was there and I wore my Spike outfit. And I will say I had one of my favorite Con memories then because I got to stop Steven Blum in the hallway in the morning and just talk with him. That was a lot of fun. I like how down to earth and personable he was.
Nekaru

Return to Introductions and Forum News