Heyo!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Heyo!

Postby newerapluto » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi everyone, I thought I'd take the time and introduce myself. I apparently signed up awhile ago and completely forgot about it until recently.

I've been an anime fan since my teens, and even headed the Anime & Manga Society in college for awhile. However, I sort of lost interest in anime for awhile, and am now getting reacquainted with it. The last good anime I saw was probably Death Note. Can anyone recommend any good shows so that I may catch up with the new stuff?

I look forward to meeting everyone! =D
newerapluto

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 am

The last recent series I was really enthusiastic about was Gurren Lagann. We enjoyed the first season of Emma but haven't been falling all over ourselves to get the second. And Baccano is sort of intriguing, but I haven't finished it yet.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:31 am

It would help to know what kind of shows you've liked in the past.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby newerapluto » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:36 am

I've actually seen Baccano, it's kind of hard to follow in my opinion, but it could just be me. I'll have to look into Gurren Lagann, though I'm not much of a mecha anime person. I liked Emma, but haven't really gone out of my way to find more episodes either.

The last anime I saw was Soul Eater, and I liked it quite a bit. I'm trying to catch up on Melancholy of Haruhi right now. Some of the anime I've liked in the past were Genshiken, Honey & Clover, and Nodame Cantabile. I should look into getting the 2nd series of Nodame.
newerapluto

Postby bakamatt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:26 pm

That's kind of slice-of-life-ish list. In that case, I'll nominate Kamichu. And Princess Tutu, just 'cause.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Aldric » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:24 pm

Any of the Maria Watches Over Us shows are pretty good little slice of life.

Legal simulcasting stuff right now Aoi Hana and Kanamemo over at Crunchyroll are fairly decent.

And since I suggested three shows that have a bunch of yuri (how did that happen :shock: ) you might as well watch the new season of Hayate while you're browsing around CR.
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby EveryNameTaken » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:04 am

Aria is pretty much required viewing for any self-proclaimed slice-of-life fan. But reading through his/her list, I don't think it's slice-of-life-ish at all. Soul Eater? Honey & Clover? Nodame Cantabile? Haruhi? How are those slice-of-life?

Anyway, your list has a lot of variety, which is awesome for you as an anime fan, but makes trying to rec something harder. I've also only seen about half of your list, so I'm going to make some guesses here.

If you liked Soul Eater, try Fullmetal Alchemist.
If you liked Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile, try Glass Mask and Nana
If you liked Haruhi and Genshiken, try Lucky Star
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Skip Lucky Star and watch Hidamari Sketch, Sketchbook Full Colors, and Hyakko.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Bishie Serge » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:07 am

Welcome! Or welcome back, perhaps.
I'm sad to admit I've been slacking off on newer shows as well. In my defense, it's because I've been catching up on old ones. Rayearth, Escaflowne, KO Beast...
Ooh, and I'm expecting the Akira VHS to arrive soon. Yes, I've seen it, but now I'll own it.
Stuff I'm into at the moment: Geeknights, Anime World Order, Nerdy Show ,and baking.
Bishie Serge
Anime Aficionado

Postby ca_jas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Haha is that the one with the first dub?
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby EveryNameTaken » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Scratch that Glass Mask recommendation. It might not be as good as I original thought.
EveryNameTaken
Anime Aficionado

Return to Introductions and Forum News