I get my own thread!

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

I get my own thread!

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Something terrible has happened to the end pages of the new members thread (they don't display at all for me) so I guess I get my own.

My name is Barbie, I'm 24 and I live in Topeka. I used to be the co-founder/co-president of the anime club at Washburn University.

I recently got accepted to law school so one day I'll be a fancy-pants anime-watching lawyer.

I like practically all anime genres, so let's meet up and watch some sometime!
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Re: I get my own thread!

Postby bakamatt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Chief wrote:Something terrible has happened to the end pages of the new members thread (they don't display at all for me) so I guess I get my own.

Reasonable. But to get to the end of the thread, replace the "250" or whatever number is appearing in the address with something around "215". At least, that works for me.

My name is Barbie, I'm 24 and I live in Topeka. I used to be the co-founder/co-president of the anime club at Washburn University.

Neat!

I like practically all anime genres, so let's meet up and watch some sometime!

As I generally do for non-KC area members, I'll recommend the weekly screenings of the KU club. I believe they're about to start Air and Chevalier D'Eon.

Welcome.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Aldric » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:11 pm

Time for a new new members thread anyway! Down with broken links!

Welcome to the forum!

I highly recommend you watch Chevalier D'Eon, it's a neat show, very much outside the norm.

Are you staying in Topeka for law school or are you moving into the city?
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:25 pm

Actually, I tried emailing the KU anime club a month ago to see if I could attend a meeting and got no response. I didn't want to just randomly show up and crash their meetings since I'm not a KU student.
I don't mind driving to KC, though.

As for law school - I'm not sure yet. Still waiting to hear back from some schools but Washburn is offering me a giant scholarship so I'll probably stick around for a little bit.

I own all of Chevalier but I've only watched the first disc. I'm really bad about backlogs. :(
Currently watching Maison Ikkoku, Gankutsuo, Welcome to the NHK, and Future Police Urashiman. I just finished my shiny Nadia box set and really enjoyed it.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:06 pm

Chief wrote:Actually, I tried emailing the KU anime club a month ago to see if I could attend a meeting and got no response. I didn't want to just randomly show up and crash their meetings since I'm not a KU student.
I don't mind driving to KC, though.

Bummer. From what I gather they seem like a neat bunch. Our gain, their loss.

Chief wrote:As for law school - I'm not sure yet. Still waiting to hear back from some schools but Washburn is offering me a giant scholarship so I'll probably stick around for a little bit.

You're further obliged to attend when considering the Tenchi Muyo angle (Wash-U --> Washu...ok, technically that's Washington University but work with me here).

Chief wrote:I own all of Chevalier but I've only watched the first disc. I'm really bad about backlogs. :(

I empathize completely. That said I've watched all of Le Chavalier de Eon and can highly recommend it. Think of it as roughly a Hellsing/Gankutsuou hybrid. For some inexplicable reason I've had the series rolling around in a canvas bag in my back seat for several weeks now. More worrisome is that the holy-water soaked canvas has not been sufficient to contain the tainted mercury contained within. But I digress. Enjoy it when you can as it's a fun ride.

Chief wrote:Currently watching Maison Ikkoku, Gankutsuo, Welcome to the NHK, and Future Police Urashiman. I just finished my shiny Nadia box set and really enjoyed it.

So is Future Police Urashiman as dreadful as it looks?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:17 am

Tsunami3k wrote:You're further obliged to attend when considering the Tenchi Muyo angle (Wash-U --> Washu...ok, technically that's Washington University but work with me here).

I suppose that's true. I wonder why they don't put that in their recruitment brochures. :lol:

As for Chevalier, I remember being really impressed during a scene in the first episode where D'Eon is talking to a friend while leaving the palace and the characters are actually walking at different paces. I thought that was a nice touch.

Tsunami3k wrote:So is Future Police Urashiman as dreadful as it looks?

Yes. Amazingly so.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

Chief wrote:Actually, I tried emailing the KU anime club a month ago to see if I could attend a meeting and got no response. I didn't want to just randomly show up and crash their meetings since I'm not a KU student.

I promise you, it won't be an issue. It's just a roomful of people watching 'toons. Smith Hall 100, across the street and a little down from the student union, Monday nights when school is in session, if you want to give them a shot.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Hmm...in that case my next free Monday is the 14th. I'd better get caught up on Chevailer in the meantime. :D

Does anyone here attend the KU meetings too?
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I do sometimes, depending on what they're showing - sadly, they conflict with my weekly game store night. I haven't been much this semester, and don't expect to going forward.

I should have specified, we live in Lawrence.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 am

I see. Does ASK-C have any gatherings planned for the near future? If not, we should! I'm recovering from a major surgery and I'm bored out of my skull.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I haven't heard anything planned for recently, but welcome to the forum. And I must say that Chi's Sweet Home is my favorite guilty pleasure anime right now :D
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby C-Prime » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:58 pm

I haven't managed to post in a while, but welcome!
C-Prime

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I fell off the planet for a couple of days due to some complications with my surgery but I'm hanging in there. My boyfriend has been really supportive, even when I have emotional breakdowns.

Also, I got a response from the KU anime club! Yay! I have the feeling that someone here may have got the ball finally rolling on that so thank you - that was very kind.

Chi's Sweet Home is great. For two minutes at a time I can completely decompress and let the stress of the day fade away. I just found out it was in a seinen magazine - neat. :lol:
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:05 am

nothing is more manly then cute kittens :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:13 pm

This is true. I just imagine it being placed after chapters of Berserk (yeah, I know they were in different mags).

Man drama! War! Sex! Graphic violence! ....Kittens?

Makes sense. :lol:
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Next

Return to Introductions and Forum News