** Register a New Account? Read This! **

New Member Introductions, Club News, Newbie Guidelines, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

** Register a New Account? Read This! **

Postby Wiggle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:51 am

Brand new to the ASK-C forums? Want to register for the forum and start talking with all these awesome people? Sweet! We can't wait to meet you! Please go ahead and register an account using the "Register" link at the top of the page, right under the header.

After you do that, you'll need to send me an email. You can do that by using the "email" button at the bottom of this post. Let me know that you're a new account on ASK-C and tell me the username you signed up with. I'll activate you as soon as I can.

Edit[Tsunami3k]: The following paragraph (in yellow) is no longer applicable. You no longer have to e-mail wiggle. I'll get an e-mail automatically when you create an account. As long as you fill in a bit of your profile (so I know you're not a spambot) then I'll activate you as quickly as I get the e-mail.

Sadly, due to the huge amount of spammers and bogus accounts flooding our board every day, most of the new registrants we get are just out to spam us. I can't always tell who the real people are! But if you send me an email and I can see that you're a real KC anime fan, you get first class treatment. :)
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby Angry J » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 pm

I'm helping out on our scooter club's board with deleting spammers. It's been really bad lately, like 8-16 per day. I've noticed some of the same bogus usernames at the bottom of the ASK-C board as on the other one. Damn spammers. :x :x :x
Angry J
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Logtar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 pm

Is this board version, it has already been too abused. Its either upgrade or turn it completly off... its a pain (did the board things for a while)
Logtar
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Wiggle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Our head admin isn't really available any longer, he just lets us use space on his domain. I'm sure it would be cool to upgrade the forum, but I don't have the know-how or the time to invest in it. :/ (And no, neither kenshin138 nor I would be willing to open up access to let someone else do it, just in case that suggestion comes up.)
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby Betizuka » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:21 am

If you need help with taking care of spam, let me know. I have A LOT of free time in my hands. :)
We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop?
Betizuka
Anime Fan

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:49 am

If the accounts are being created by bots, as I'm guessing they are, then I could probably crank out a "bot unfriendly" account creation page. I wouldn't need any special access, just a copy of the existing code driving the page. The only effort to deploy (or recall) this change would be a simple file copy by you or whoever. Not knowing anything about the guts of the system, I can't guarantee that this change would be that straight forward but I'm more than willing to give it a shot and help out if I can. That said, if the accounts not being created by bots then my proposed changes won't help. Even still, I'd be happy to help out, even on the brute-force front, if I can.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Wiggle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:05 pm

I really appreciate it, guys, but I only have limited administrative access. I don't have direct access to the server and I don't believe I can create new admin accounts, which is necessary for weeding out the bogus members. So far, it's not a huge problem -- it's pretty easy to pick out the real users from the spam. If I can come up with a way for others to help keep the board clear, I'll keep y'all in mind.
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:55 pm

Just FYI, I can verify that Slylencer is a legitimate user. I don't think he noticed this thread right off but after he mentioned that he had been waiting a while I told him to send a "proof of existence" e-mail. I don't know that he's sent one yet so I figured I would ping the powers that be.

Ping.....
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Wiggle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:18 pm

He did email me and I did approve him to post on the board. :)
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Wiggle wrote:He did email me and I did approve him to post on the board. :)

Doh! Well, thank you for setting him up.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:49 pm

I believe a user named "Borgon" has recently applied. I can validate that he's a legitimate user. He pinged me asking how long it takes to get accepted so I'm guessing he hasn't seen this thread and was unaware that he needed to send the requisite e-mail. Hopefully this post can serve as an acceptable substitute.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Introductions and Forum News