Princess Kaguya gets the Oscar nod

Post Anime News Here.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Princess Kaguya gets the Oscar nod

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:32 am

I haven't cared very much about the Oscars since Star Wars lost for Best Picture to Annie Hall. Which was nonsense on my part; Star Wars is enormously commercial and fun and I'm very glad it got made, but it's not well acted or written, and a Best Picture pretty much better be well acted and written.

I was and am pleased that Spirited Away won Best Animated Feature it's year; and I'm pleased that Princess Kaguya has been nominated this year, but I have every expectation that How to Train Your Dragon 2 will win. I've not seen either of them, but that's my guess.

Most, but not every Studio Ghibli release gets nominated, of course. But I'm a bit surprised that Kaguya did, since it's not Miyazaki. I also wonder if this was a sentimental nomination based on the perceived possibility that it was Ghibli's last production.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: Princess Kaguya gets the Oscar nod

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:57 pm

I've been very intrigued by Princes Kaguya since I first heard of it maybe all the more so because it doesn't fall under Miyazaki's shadow. It would be a shame if How to Tame Your Dragon 2 won since I gather that it's the lesser movie (anecdotally, opinions seem to rang between disappointment and lukewarm). If PK is truly the better movie then I hope it gets the award; it seems like one last warm, dry wind from the deserts of California would be a fitting sendoff to the much beloved Studio Ghibli.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Matt:
I haven't cared very much about the Oscars since Star Wars lost for Best Picture to Annie Hall.

And I am still puzzled how The Wizard of Speed and Time was not even nominated! But it was that movie that rebooted my interest in stop motion, animation, both for Hollywood & Indie films. So I always watch most of the Oscar's but usually crash just as the last few big ones are handed out.

Anyway I watched Princess Kaguya for the second time last night. Based on a Japanese folk lore story called the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter the latter title is more descriptive. The movie is centered more on the balance of corruption from unearned wealth vs good intentions of the "father" or the bamboo cutter. Yes the princess is there & has a significant part but really she is there to facilitate the story not unlike an Aesop's Fable.

At first I didn't think I would like it. There's no mecha, no fan service & the visual style is very high key. It remineded a bit of older Japanese art that I really don't care for:

But uses a technique frequently that I only know as the shaky line motion. The first time I saw this was on the old Tracey Ullman Show for some animated shorts called Dr N!Godatu. And just because I think those clips were so innovative (also Ullman gave birth to The Simpsons you know) I just gotta post a link here:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvYKoNKQpv8[/youtube]

So I liked it enough to watch twice but I think it is to gentle & artsy to be worthy of a group viewing. The movie has been nominated world wide for 25 awards & snared 7 of them. Chance of making it at the MPAA Oscars? Less than zero zip nada snowball's chance.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Eh sigh......
Big Hero 6 just won.

Disney.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 am

I was pretty much resigned to it being The Lego Movie, so, whatever.

(Actually, both Hero and Lego seems to have gotten enough good buzz that I'll check them out at some point.)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Anime News