End of an era - Studio Ghibli closes

Post Anime News Here.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

End of an era - Studio Ghibli closes

Postby Chief » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Well...can't say I didn't see this coming, but I'm still sad that it did.

So here's a thread to say goodbye to the studio. What was everyone's favorite Ghibli movie?

I think my favorite was Princess Mononoke. It was the first Ghibli film I watched and I enjoyed its neutral stance to good and evil.

(Though my favorite Miyazaki movie of all time is still Castle of Cagliostro)
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Re: End of an era - Studio Ghibli closes

Postby bakamatt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Big news, to be sure.

Spirited Away for me. But, yeah, if I had to pick one desert island Miyazaki, it'd be Cagliostro.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Tis a sad day indeed. Whisper of the Heart was probably my favorite, but Spirited Away was right up there. Officially they are not "closed" but it doesn't sound like they are going to be making any new stuff http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/03/studi ... 2187500000
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:44 am

I was pretty shocked by this, but I also was unaware of their their box office woes. The silver lining to this for me is I have incentive to catch up on all of the movies that I've missed.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 am

Yeah, this has been simmering for a while now. When production costs are such that a single failed movie could crater the studio, they just don't have the means to groom a new Miyazaki (or ever-underappreciated Takahata). Such is the sad but inevitable fate of a single-star-studio. They could have cut production costs by moving away from their signature look and quality but I think it would have only delayed the inevitable while tarnishing the studio's name so I think this was a good call. Disney had their doldrum years from which they eventually recovered and flourished; there's no reason to believe that Ghibli can't do the same.

Princess Mononoke is my absolute favorite by a country mile. I love the balanced, non-judgmental portrayal of nature vs. progress. Miyazaki's movies tend to have a distinct "message" however he seemed to lack the patience to convey those themes so deftly as he did in Princess Mononoke. My second favorite is easily Kiki's Delivery Service. It's a compelling variation of a coming-of-age story with what was to become Miyazaki's signature spunky, adventurous protagonist encapsulated in relatively safe an nurturing world that occasionally bruises but never batters its heroine.

I actually haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro yet. It's on so many peoples' favorites lists that I've been saving it for a special occasion but I suppose it's about time I got around to watching it.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:When production costs are such that a single failed movie could crater the studio,

So what movie are we talking about that flopped, Poppy Hill, Wind Rises, something else?

My feeling is that both the above titles were seriously un-commercial sacrifices to the Miyazaki personality cult. I liked Poppy Hill quite a bit but believe it was done as an apology from fils to pers for being an ungrateful, disobedient son; not a sound criterion on which to make money. I still haven't seen Wind Rises but, damn, it's got "cranky old Pops Miyazaki has given up on the youth of Japan and is just going to film whatever the hell he wants" written all over it. Likewise not calculated to find a big audience.

Disney had their doldrum years from which they eventually recovered and flourished; there's no reason to believe that Ghibli can't do the same.

It's nice to think so, but Disney did it (at least in terms of reducing production costs) by abandoning hand-painted cels and embracing cel- and Pixar-style CG. (Also by widening their demographic.) How does Ghibli cut costs?

Miyazaki's movies tend to have a distinct "message" however he seemed to lack the patience to convey those themes so deftly as he did in Princess Mononoke.

Yuppers.

I actually haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro yet. It's on so many peoples' favorites lists that I've been saving it for a special occasion but I suppose it's about time I got around to watching it.

Jaw drop. I had no idea. Clearly, an Event is called for - maybe the evening of the Japan Festival?

Although

(Time out - And I'm Home just started on the iPod, and it must be paid attention to.)

I hope your expectations haven't gotten too high for it. I love it to pieces; it's possibly the movie I've seen the most times in my life*. But after hearing people holler about how good it is year after year you could be excused for expecting the Second Coming.

_____
*Other possible contenders: Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:58 pm

bakamatt - the movie that flopped was "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" (Isao Takahata).

Both "From Up on Poppy Hill" (14th highest grossing anime film) and "The Wind Rises" (highest grossing film in Japan in 2013) did well for the studio.

And you should really watch "The Wind Rises" - it's a beautiful movie.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Chief » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Tim - whenever you do get around to "Castle of Cagliostro," make sure you have a big pile of spaghetti and meatballs to eat.

...that movie ALWAYS makes me crave that. WHY WAS THAT SCENE ANIMATED SO WELL???!!!
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby ca_jas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:57 pm

I've also never seen Castle of Cagliostro. I would love to have another movie night, in remembrance of Ghibli!

(Also I never knew Castle of Cagliostro was not a Ghibli movie!)
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby bakamatt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:28 am

Oh, my, spaghetti and Cagliostro - what fun!

I will admit without modesty that I do a good spaghetti. It's just Prego with browned 80/20 hamburg and a ton of garlic added, and I don't overcook but do rinse the pasta but, hey, it's better than any restaurant's I've ever had.

This has to happen.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 am

Haven't made this in awhile, but it is liquid crack, oh so yummy. Cook the sasauge and throw it all in the crock pot for up to six hours

1 -2 lbs of Italian sausage browned

1 - onion chopped

1 - green pepper chopped

8 - cloves garlic minced

2 – 14.5 oz cans tomatoes

2 – 14.5 oz cans sauce

2 – 6 oz cans tomato paste

¼ - cup sugar

2 - tbsp Italian spice

1 - tbsp basil

2 – tsp marjoram

1 – tsp salt

½ - tsp pepper
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Chief wrote:Tim - whenever you do get around to "Castle of Cagliostro," make sure you have a big pile of spaghetti and meatballs to eat.

...that movie ALWAYS makes me crave that. WHY WAS THAT SCENE ANIMATED SO WELL???!!!

@Chief - BTW we did this at the anniversary party this spring and it was all due to this post!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Anime News