Sentai Fireworks phasing out DVD's

Post Anime News Here.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Sentai Fireworks phasing out DVD's

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Sentai has announced that they are going to phase out did media by the end of 2019, except for current releases that have a first or second season on DVD.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/daily-br ... 19/.121502

Couple of quotes from Shawne Kleckner at TRSI (from an anime collectors Facebook group)

"DVD sales have dropped off dramatically. Anime fans are generally early adopters. Blu-ray players have come down in price so far that adding more QC and time to make DVDs is getting uneconomical."

(In response to a question about 4k) "4K will see very limited releases for now. VERY expensive, authoring has to be outsourced and very little native content."
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Re: Sentai Fireworks phasing out DVD's

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:53 pm

About bloody time. I've been passing on titles for the last couple of years I'd have ordinarily been intrigued by solely because watching 480i content has become so grating. Even if the source isn't natively HD or something that upscales particularly well, the menus and audio alone are profoundly better.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Sentai is also offering a free BR player if you order $299 worth of anime at once from their website
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Adrick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:38 pm

I think it would be a good opportunity to take advantage of the Christmas DVD sale coming this year. They will be dumping their DVD stock over the next two years. Save your money and expect a good Christmas haul this year.

My video collection is almost entirely DVDs and I am collecting more of the same. The good thing about bluray players is they also play DVDs. So, there is no need to rush to switch over to the bluray. Plus, I got Google high speed Internet at home and unlimited data on my phone to stream my Netflix. Basically, both DVD and Bluray are going into obsolescence. Everything really is transitioning to the cloud. I still collect because the cloud tends to dump my fave anime. Therefore, I will make a good effort to own the fringe anime I like some much because they often take my favorites of the server.

You guys still building your physical anime me collections or leaning towards streaming services from the cloud?
Adrick
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 am

Per Adrick:
My video collection is almost entirely DVDs and I am collecting more of the same. The good thing about bluray players is they also play DVDs.

At the last Naka-Kon I was walking past a table full of video media, walking behind a couple of 20-something otaku. I over hear:" Man I don't believe thy're still selling DVD's. I only have a Blu-ray player. I couldn't even play a DVD if I tried!"
Baka.

I would never buy DVD if BR is available. Too many advantages of the latter. As for purchase vs streaming I use a combo of both. Ther's a lot of casual stuff to watch that isn't worth buying a whole series of. Streaming is a great way to sample before buying in my opinion. When I think about purchasing the two points I evaluate is this something I will want to watch again? Is this something I will want to watch ten years from now?

Tried to watch, for the second time, The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness on Netflix last Saturday. This is a brilliant & revealing documentary on Ghibli & Miyazaki. Too bad so sad it be gone. It would definetly be worth a purchase.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 am

I could probably get to the point where I cared about the advantages of BR - after all, I didn't realize how awful VHS was until I went back after getting used to DVD - but I can't say I'm there yet. I can't recall ever thinking of a DVD, "Gosh, that's a terrible picture." But I understand full well that there are people who care passionately about such things.

It's becoming a moot point anyway, since most releases seem to be combo packs these days and DVD probably will disappear. Other than that, if the BR doesn't cost much more than the DVD, I might get it. Depending, probably, on nothing but the mood I'm in. I dislike that BR boxes are shorter on the shelf than DVD, since it leaves a gap like a missing tooth.

Kokon Tozai wrote:As for purchase vs streaming I use a combo of both. There's a lot of casual stuff to watch that isn't worth buying a whole series of. Streaming is a great way to sample before buying in my opinion. When I think about purchasing the two points I evaluate is this something I will want to watch again? Is this something I will want to watch ten years from now?

That's me in a nutshell. Streaming is wonderful for sampling things, but if it's a show I like and the disks are a rational price, I'll get them. At this time I've bought at least ten series that I streamed first: Rail Wars, Outbreak Company, Amagi Brilliant Park, DanMachi, GATE, Toradora, Love Live!, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, My Hero Academia, Nisekoi, and I think there's one or two more. I await eventual releases of other shows.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Just about anything I have on DVD that's available on BD I'd be interested in upgrading so, if you want a good price on DVDs (likely unopened and I might even part with some deluxe art box sets), just let me know what you're hunting for.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Anime News